Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
9cummins4

Name: 9cummins4
Title: average joe
Member`s Gallery
Fuel Plate Placement?

I have been trying to fine tune my truck for good power and good mpg. I have a ats 3000 turbo, 4k springs, ddp 75 inj, afc mods, 181 dv's, 16.5 timing, #5 plate, cold air, 4" exh,. The problem is my mpg is around 14-15. I was wondering if I moved my plate back a little if I could gain some mpg because it is all the way forward. I love the power that i have but when I mash it to the floor I roll a cloud of smoke until it clears and I was thinking that was costing me my mpg. What I would like to know is how to make good clean power with out a lot of waste. I know I need some smoke but how much should I have and what should I adjust the plate or the star wheel or both to get the most bang for the buck

Old 11-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
recklesskelly

Name: recklesskelly
Title: I'm still me, again.
Member`s Gallery
if you are rolling smoke from a dead stop then you could turn your smoke screw out a bit (it adjusts 0 boost fueling its on the back of the pump). But really the easiest way to get better mileage is to change your driving habits. This way you can still have all the power you want when you need it and good mileage the rest of the time. I got my tuned so i just have a haze of light grey smoke for a bit till the turbo spools then its gone but im still on stock injectors (for now ) so i cant comment on adjusting you setup for DDPs.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
ride42

Name: ride42
Title: 980MW
Member`s Gallery
You "mash" it to the floor and are surprised that your MPGs aren't that great? Seriously?

So, if you lost mileage by sliding the plate forward, the logical solution would be sliding it back little by little to find the happy medium.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
You don't NEED smoke...

Clean power comes (mostly) from AFC tuning...

Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Schoust

Name: Schoust
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ditto on ther afc tune! Listen it's like anything else mechanical you have to play with the setting's and see what you like the best,at least that is the way I tune my engines....Both gas and diesel.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
HILLBILLYPRIDE

Name: HILLBILLYPRIDE
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
throw the AFC in the trash and run it. u dont have enough DV to flow that much fuel any way!!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Schoust

Name: Schoust
Member`s Gallery
Easy there Tiger! Do you want to get the Obama pollution Czar's on our ass!!
Lol!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Chevycummins

Name: Chevycummins
Title: Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesskelly View Post
if you are rolling smoke from a dead stop then you could turn your smoke screw out a bit (it adjusts 0 boost fueling its on the back of the pump). But really the easiest way to get better mileage is to change your driving habits. This way you can still have all the power you want when you need it and good mileage the rest of the time. I got my tuned so i just have a haze of light grey smoke for a bit till the turbo spools then its gone but im still on stock injectors (for now ) so i cant comment on adjusting you setup for DDPs.
i run with no plate and can accelerate at a pretty fast rate with only a little haze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride42 View Post
You "mash" it to the floor and are surprised that your MPGs aren't that great? Seriously?

So, if you lost mileage by sliding the plate forward, the logical solution would be sliding it back little by little to find the happy medium.
got a good point if you only moved that and fuel mpg went to crap slide back til you reach a point of satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
Ditto on ther afc tune! Listen it's like anything else mechanical you have to play with the setting's and see what you like the best,at least that is the way I tune my engines....Both gas and diesel.
you have the three big things as listed below. play with them one or two at a time and get a happy spot. you take the afc and set it to fuel at a certian pressure like some have done with shop air and a regulator then you can play with the smoke screw and fuel plate. i would also check and see if the arm is even hitting the fuel plate if not you adjust that so that it will follow the contour of the plate to fuel like you want it too.

1. smoke screw (back of afc housing)
2. star wheel
3. fuel plate

Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
recklesskelly

Name: recklesskelly
Title: I'm still me, again.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycummins View Post
i run with no plate and can accelerate at a pretty fast rate with only a little haze.
whats your point, fuel plate does nothing till you've built enough boost to move the AFC arm out of the way. unless your afc is in the trash can.

Last edited by recklesskelly; 11-15-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: because i wanted to

Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesskelly View Post
whats your point, fuel plate does nothing till you've built enough boost to move the AFC arm out of the way. unless your afc is in the trash can.
I think that was his point

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
97singlecab

Name: 97singlecab
Member`s Gallery
What are your egts, and boost at full throttle now, I hope you do have gauges. If you are looking to get some better mileage but still make some decent power, then I would pull the afc and set it with shop air to around 25-30 psi. Then pull the plate back in small steps till you almost don't have enough fuel to spool your turbo then bring it back forward a small amount. If your mileage is still suffering and egts are still high you might consider a different plate to. I ran a very similar setup with a #8 plate from TST and was very happy with how it performed.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Chevycummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
I think that was his point
yes that is my point i didnt go through the trouble to adjust the arm to contact the plate when i moved it so it did nothing for me. after a long conversation with weston he explained that and said to just take it out. after a while a driving it that way you can kinda learn how to control and adjust as needed.

my afc is not in the trash can either i still use it. the way i run mine is just as if i have a 0 plate in there except there just isnt a plate. some fear a run away if there is no plate in the pump and just run a 0 just to keep that arm from going to far just as a safety. for the set up i have with no intercooler i think its turned out pretty good.

Last edited by Chevycummins; 11-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Evidently people have no self control of their right foot. The op said when he mashes it it smokes black. Well dont mash it. Im not trying to be a dick but come on. Moer time is wasted reading these damn threads and afc tuning then if you just take it out and drive like a person should. Our trailer puller has no plate,afc and full cuts. It pulls my truck to the pulls, unhooks from the gn and will run in the 2.6 class and the open class for fun, hook back to the trailer and go home averaging about 13mpg. If we hot dog it it will role the cole (just for you forrest) but i dont have to drive it like that. Tim

Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
yup, the plate doesn't do anything but limit max fuel... the AFC is what makes the truck run well or crappy

Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
If we hot dog it it will role the cole (just for you forrest)
lmao!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
lmao!!!
I thought you would get a kick out of that. Tim

Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
SSpeeDEMONSS

Name: SSpeeDEMONSS
Title: Still Learning
Member`s Gallery
take the fuel plate and stick it in your center console(or tool box if you prefer). then tune your AFC. back the "smoke screw" out a little and adjust the starwheel until it works good for you.

Garrett

Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
White Knight

Name: White Knight
Member`s Gallery
Not to start a pissing match but I would like to point out that the plate can do more than just limit max fuel if you want it to.

That's all, continue on

Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Not to start a pissing match but I would like to point out that the plate can do more than just limit max fuel if you want it to.

That's all, continue on
well, on a stock truck, it limits full boost fuel vs. RPM, but most guys w/ aftermarket injectors and who are making some power it's a full power limit, that's it

Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
Chevycummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

That's all, continue on
i agree it can do more if you take your time and adjust everything properly so that it all functions accordingly.

Closed Thread