Frame horn repair?

Keep this thread updated with your fix, if you would.
Plan too, I'll have to take the steering box loose/out to see how far back I need to go to get to good metal. Then the plan is cut out the bad and since I don't have a way to form the bends, it'll be put back together in pieces, probably 3/16" or 1/4", everything welded solid, and probably a little paint. I'm guess I'm going to have to drill new holes on the inside of the frame to mount the steering box back where it goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Be sure you sleeve the holes for steering box mounting bolts.
Locating those holes can be a difficult task. Take many measurements and pictures before tear down.

Be sure you sleeve the holes for steering box mounting bolts.
Locating those holes can be a difficult task. Take many measurements and pictures before tear down.
I'm hoping since the outside of the frame is fine, I can chase the holes from the outside. Going to ask around if anyone I know has a mag drill, only way I can think to be certain they'd be straight.

I’m really interested to see how this comes out. I was able to just patch some small areas with mine. Coated everything with chassis saver after I prepped it.

IMO, you'd be better off finding an entire front frame piece like that other guy did, then welding that in. Much easier to align, all holes will be correct. Fishplate the sections and it would be a strong repair. Then be extremely liberal with paint.
Good luck whichever way you go, though.

IMO, you'd be better off finding an entire front frame piece like that other guy did, then welding that in. Much easier to align, all holes will be correct. Fishplate the sections and it would be a strong repair. Then be extremely liberal with paint.
Good luck whichever way you go, though.
That's what I wanted to do, but have been unable to find a good piece of frame, the only good ones where entire frames for near $1k, or a couple decent ones of complete trucks for ~$6-800. But those would have required a lot more work, and I just dont have much time to devote to this right now. I may have located a mag drill though, need to double check before this weekend.

You know the 1500 frame horns will work too right? They can be had a lot cheaper
Yes, just haven't found any good ones, everything has rust in Ohio! The complete trucks I found were 1/2 ton.

Well, looks like I'll be headed to Marietta on Saturday! New plan is to cut the new piece of frame about a 1/4" short or so, and build a backing ring, or sleeve of sorts to fit inside the frame to ensure we get great penetration, then add fish plates to the outside.

Well, made decent progress. The old is cut out, with the new piece partially welded in before we had to call it a day. Only hiccup, other than my cuts on the inside of the frame, is the while the holes for the steering box are in the outside of the frame, they didn't go through the inside. There are two sets of mounting hole, 2wd uses the rearward set, while 4wd uses the forward set. So I did have to chase the holes on through. Hopefully we are able to finish it up tomorrow.
23bec4e0b8d0029c09841fd822dbc58c.jpg
fbdd03114307e18a4c26aa2b38077c3b.jpg
9b3e86600ac3c13d1c3774b4206d1ec2.jpg
14db62694fc8c90155a5b2b18c6ed3a3.jpg
8f0b7786aad9041d5318f9f094cf5673.jpg
83a15244fbfd5f150df38d72c680e341.jpg
acdc57a84a02eab51111099e38e716fa.jpg

Looking good. Definitely a proper fix choosing this method.

Side bar:
When I had my 05 stripped down to the frame for the cab swap, I washed the frame rails out with just a water hose nozzle. Flushed front to back, back to front, and every hole in between I could access. Let it dry out, painted the frame, then squirted oil all inside the frame. It dripped oil for a few days out of frame holes.

Unbelievable the amount of dirt that was in there at 125k miles. Glad I did that.

Back