Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #1321
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Misplaced Love
By Marvin Williams

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 115
Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. —Psalm 115:4
Bible in a Year:
Joshua 4-6; Luke 1:1-20
Martin Lindstrom, an author and speaker, thinks that cellphones have become akin to a best friend for many owners. Lindstrom’s experiment using an MRI helped him discover why. When the subjects saw or heard their phone ringing, their brains fired off neurons in the area associated with feelings of love and compassion. Lindstrom said, “It was as if they were in the presence of a girlfriend, boyfriend, or family member.”

Many things vie for our affection and time and attention, and it seems we’re always needing to evaluate where we’re focusing our lives. Joshua told the people of Israel that they were to give their affection and worship to God alone (Josh. 24:14). This was significant in contrast to the idols worshiped by the nations around them. These idols were made of metal and were only the work of men’s hands (Ps. 115:4). They were totally powerless compared to the Lord. Therefore, God’s people were exhorted to find their security in Him and not in other gods (Judg. 10:13-16). Jesus reiterated this in His discussion of the commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matt. 22:37).

The Lord alone is our help and shield (Ps. 115:9). May we reserve our worship for Him.

For Further Thought
What do our actions in the last few months reveal
about our affections? Is there any indication that we
have placed someone or something above God?
God is most worthy of our affections.

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #1322
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Still Working
By Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Matthew 25:14-21
“Well done, good and faithful servant.” —Matthew 25:23
Bible in a Year:
Joshua 7-9; Luke 1:21-38
Vivian and Don are in their mid-90s and have been married more than 70 years. Recently Vivian suffered a setback when she broke her hip. This has been additionally difficult because for several years both Don and Vivian have been saddened by the realization that they are no longer strong enough to be active in the life and work of their church.

However, Vivian and Don are still hard at work for the Lord: They are prayer warriors. While they may not always be physically present and visible in the life of their church, they are faithful “behind the scenes” in their service for Him.

The parable of the talents in Matthew 25 reminds us that we must use the “talents” God has given us wisely. All of us have God-given skills and abilities at various levels—and we must not bury, unused, what God has given us.

It is not only in our years of strength that God will use us, but also in our youth and age, as well as in our sickness and weakness. Vivian and Don continue to serve by praying. And like them, we honor our Savior by using our skills—“each according to his own ability” (v.15) to serve Him who is worthy.

Lord, You have done so much for me. Please show
me what I can do to serve You—to honor You with
the abilities You have provided. May my life be a
living sacrifice of love and action for Your honor.
God can use you at any age—if you are willing.
Insight
The parable of the talents contains a profound and enduring message to the believer. It drives home the point that we will be justly compensated for the use of our Spirit-filled talents. Both motive and faithfulness will be key factors in how we are evaluated at the judgment (Bema) seat of Christ (2 Cor. 5:10). “Good works” performed in the energy of the flesh or for the wrong motives will be burned up. But faithful, Spirit-filled service will be rewarded (1 Cor. 3:12-15).

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #1323
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Gentle Witness
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Acts 1:1-11
You shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. —Acts 1:8
Bible in a Year:
Joshua 16-18; Luke 2:1-24
Years ago, I was hospitalized following a life-threatening, 38-foot fall from a bridge. While I was there, the wife of the man in the next bed stopped to speak to me. “My husband just told me what happened to you,” she said. “We believe God spared your life because He wants to use you. We’ve been praying for you.”

I was stunned. I had grown up going to church, but I had never imagined that God would want to be involved in my life. Her words pointed me to a Savior I had heard of but did not know—and marked the beginning of my coming to Christ. I cherish the memory of those words from a gentle witness who cared enough to say something to a stranger about the God whose love is real. Her words conveyed care and concern, and offered purpose and promise.

Jesus challenged His disciples—and us—to tell others about the love of God: “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8).

Through the Holy Spirit our words and witness can have the power to make an eternal difference in the lives of others.

I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love,
I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true;
It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do. —Hankey
A caring word can accomplish more than we could ever imagine.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #1324
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Who’s At The Center?
By Poh Fang chia

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 33:6-19
The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart to all generations. —Psalm 33:11
Bible in a Year:
Joshua 19-21; Luke 2:25-52
Recently, I had what for me was a “Copernican moment”: I am not at the center of the universe. The world doesn’t revolve around me. It doesn’t move at my pace, in my terms, nor in accord with my preferences.

Though we might wish it to be otherwise, life is not all about us. Everything revolves around the Lord. In Psalm 33, we read that all nature revolves around Him and His control (vv.6-9). He assigned the sea its boundaries and locked the ocean in vast reservoirs. Everything in nature operates in accordance with the laws He has set.

The nations also revolve around the Lord (vv.10-12). No plan or scheme can stand up against God’s. Ultimately, it is the Lord’s plan that will stand forever. His intentions can never be shaken.

Finally, the lives of all humanity revolve around the Lord (vv.13-19). God sees the whole human race. He made our hearts, and He understands everything we do. And He has the power to intervene in our lives and deliver us from situations spinning out of control.

Our life is created to be centered on God, not self. How thankful we can be to serve such a powerful God, who has every aspect of our lives under His control.

Teach me, Lord, to live out the truth of Psalm 33.
May I revere You as I should. May I and all the
inhabitants of the world stand in awe of You,
for Your counsel and plans stand forever.
When we die to all about us, we live to God above us.
Insight
In this song of praise, the psalmist calls the righteous to praise God for His Word and His work (vv.1-3). He celebrates God’s power in creation—“He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast” (vv.6-9)—and points to the special privilege and blessedness of being God’s chosen people (v.12).

Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #1325
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Out Of Chaos
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Exodus 8:1-15
Speak evil of no one, . . . be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. —Titus 3:2
Bible in a Year:
Joshua 22-24; Luke 3
Everything I observe makes me believe this is true: Order is not natural. When I consider my office, I’m astounded at how quickly it descends into chaos and how long it takes me to restore order. Order requires intervention; it does not happen naturally.

I shouldn’t be surprised. God’s role in bringing order out of chaos is a prominent biblical theme. He did it when He was creating the nation of Israel (Ex. 7–14). When God said it was time to bring the Hebrew people out of Egypt, Pharaoh objected. His nation’s economy depended on the Hebrew workers, so Pharaoh didn’t want to lose them. To change Pharaoh’s mind, God sent 10 plagues to convince him. Pharaoh’s magicians were able to duplicate the first two plagues. But they could not reverse the plagues—any of them. They could cause chaos, but they could not restore order. Only God can do that.

With effort, we can bring order to our living spaces, but none of us can bring order out of the emotional and spiritual chaos of our lives. Only God can do that. He restores order to chaotic situations when we live as God intended—speaking no evil, being peaceable and gentle, and showing humility to all (Titus 3:2).

Father, our world and our lives do have much chaos
and confusion. We need You to restore our souls.
Help us to live as You want us to live—
loving others.
When we put our problems in God’s hands, He puts His peace in our hearts.
Insight
The Egyptian magicians could only mimic three of the miracles of Moses—staffs turned into serpents (Ex. 7:11), water turned to blood (7:22), and the frog plague (8:7). Unable to mimic the remaining plagues (8:16–11:10), the magicians acknowledged that they were from “the finger of God” (8:19).

Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #1326
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Link To Life
By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Titus 3:1-11
According to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit. —Titus 3:5
Bible in a Year:
Judges 1-3; Luke 4:1-30
By the time he was 16, Morris Frank (1908–1980) had lost his sight in both eyes. Several years later, he traveled to Switzerland where he met Buddy, the canine who would help to inspire Frank’s involvement with the Seeing Eye guide-dog school.

With Buddy leading the way, Frank learned to navigate busy sidewalks and intersections. Describing the freedom his guide provided, Frank said, “It was glorious: just [Buddy] and a leather strap, linking me to life.” Buddy gave Morris Frank a new kind of access to the world around him.

God’s Holy Spirit gives us access to abundant spiritual life in Christ. When we accept Christ as Lord, God washes our sins away and renews us “by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior” (Titus 3:5-6 niv). Once we know Christ, the Holy Spirit helps us experience God’s love (Rom. 5:5), understand God’s Word (John 14:26), pray (Rom. 8:26), and abound in hope (Rom. 15:13).

Today, as you think about your relationship with God, remember that the Spirit is your guide to life in Christ (Rom. 8:14).

Holy Spirit, Light divine,
Shine upon this heart of mine.
Chase the shades of night away;
Turn my darkness into day. —Reed
The Holy Spirit guides us into knowledge and spiritual growth.
Insight
In the book of Titus, Paul instructed his younger coworker Titus on how to teach believers in the young church of Crete to live holy lives. Paul emphasized the importance of godly leadership (Titus 1) and of gracious behavior within the church family (ch.2) and in society at large (ch.3).

Old 03-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1327
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Waiting . . .
By Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 130
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer. —Romans 12:12
Bible in a Year:
Judges 4-6; Luke 4:31-44
Day after day for years Harry shared with the Lord his concern for his son-in-law John who had turned away from God. But then Harry died. A few months later, John turned back to God. When his mother-in-law Marsha told him that Harry had been praying for him every day, John replied, “I waited too long.” But Marsha joyfully shared: “The Lord is still answering the prayers Harry prayed during his earthly life.”

Harry’s story is an encouragement to us who pray and wait. He continued “steadfastly in prayer” and waited patiently (Rom. 12:12).

The author of Psalm 130 experienced waiting in prayer. He said, “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits” (v.5). He found hope in God because he knew that “with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption” (v.7).

Author Samuel Enyia wrote about God’s timing: “God does not depend on our time. Our time is chronological and linear but God . . . is timeless. He will act at the fullness of His time. Our prayer . . . may not necessarily rush God into action, but . . . places us before Him in fellowship.”

What a privilege we have to fellowship with God in prayer and to wait for the answer in the fullness of His time.

Pray on! Pray on! Cease not to pray,
And should the answer tarry, wait;
Thy God will come, will surely come,
And He can never come too late. —Chisholm
God may delay our request, but He will never disappoint our trust.
Insight
Psalm 130 is one of the pilgrim songs (Pss. 120–134) the people of Israel sang as they made their way to the temple to celebrate the three national festivals (Deut. 16:16). In this psalm, the writer was deeply distressed by his own sinfulness and earnestly cried out for God’s mercy (130:1-2). Yet, he was able to confidently affirm, “But there is forgiveness with You” (v.4). Finding hope in God’s Word (v.5) and being assured that “with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption” (v.7), he patiently waited for God’s pardon and removal of his guilt (vv.6,8). In response, he invited the congregation to fear God (v.4) and to celebrate His unmerited and undeserved grace (v.8).

Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #1328
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Bottled Water Binge
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Romans 5:12-21
Through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men. —Romans 5:18
Bible in a Year:
Judges 11-12; Luke 6:1-26
Here in the United States, we’ve been on a bottled water binge for a number of years. Even though most people have a safe supply of water that is free and readily available from faucets and drinking fountains, they still purchase bottled water. Choosing to pay for something that I can enjoy at no cost doesn’t make sense to me, but some people believe that a product they pay for is superior to anything they receive free.

This sometimes carries over into our spiritual lives. Some struggle to accept that salvation is a gift. They want to do something to earn it. The problem is, no one can afford it. The price of salvation is perfection (Matt. 19:21), and Jesus is the only person who could pay the price (Rom. 5:18). To anyone who thirsts, He promises to “give of the fountain of the water of life freely” (Rev. 21:6).

Some people try to purchase the living water of salvation with good deeds and charitable donations. Although these are forms of spiritual service valued by God, they are not what God requires for the forgiveness of our sin. Jesus already paid the price by dying in our place, and He offers to quench our spiritual thirst when we drink freely from God’s fountain that will never run dry.

Jesus is the Living Water—
Just one drink will make you whole;
Drawing daily from that wellspring
Brings refreshment to the soul. —D. DeHaan
Jesus is the only fountain who can satisfy the thirsty soul.
Insight
Earlier in Romans, Paul had proven that all people are sinners (1:18–3:18) and shown how they can be justified through faith in Jesus (3:19–4:25). In today’s text, Paul explains how the disobedience of Adam as our representative resulted in death for all (vv.12,19), while Christ’s act of obedience brought the gift of life (vv.18,21).

Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #1329
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Free Tomatoes

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Exodus 35:20-29
Everyone whose spirit was willing . . . brought the Lord’s offering for the work of the tabernacle. —Exodus 35:21
Bible in a Year:
Judges 13-15; Luke 6:27-49
Packing groceries into the trunk of my car, I glanced at the vehicle next to me. Through the back window, I could see baskets full of bright red tomatoes—shiny, plump, and better looking than any I had seen in the store. When the car’s owner appeared seconds later, I said, “What great looking tomatoes!” She replied, “I had a good crop this year. Would you like some?” Surprised by her willingness to share, I gladly accepted. She gave me several free tomatoes to take home—they tasted as good as they looked!

We see an even greater spirit of generosity in the Israelites when they gave to build the tabernacle of the Lord. When asked to provide materials for the sanctuary, “everyone whose spirit was willing . . . brought the Lord’s offering for the work of the tabernacle” (Ex. 35:21). The Israelites eagerly donated their gold jewelry, colored thread, fine linen, silver, bronze, gemstones, and spices. Some also gave their time and talents (vv.25-26).

If we follow the Israelites’ example and willingly donate our resources, we please and honor God with our attitude and offerings. The Lord, who sees and knows our thoughts and hearts, loves cheerful givers. He Himself is the best example of generosity (John 3:16).

Dear Jesus, You gave everything You had
for my sake. Help me to give with
a willing heart so that my gifts
will truly honor You.
The state of our heart is more important than the size of our gift.
Insight
The tabernacle became Israel’s mobile place of worship during their journey from Egypt to the land of promise. Until it was replaced by Solomon’s temple in Jerusalem, the tabernacle served not only as a house of worship, but also as the center of Israel’s national life.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #1330
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Add Bookmark
You’ve Got A Friend
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 23
[Jesus said,] “I have called you friends.” —John 15:15
Bible in a Year:
Judges 16-18; Luke 7:1-30
One of the ironic consequences of the sweeping growth of social media is that we often find ourselves more personally isolated. One online article warns: “Those who oppose leading one’s life primarily or exclusively online claim that virtual friends are not adequate substitutes for real-world friends, and . . . individuals who substitute virtual friends for physical friends become even lonelier and more depressive than before.”

Technology aside, all of us battle with seasons of loneliness, wondering if anyone knows, understands, or cares about the burdens we carry or the struggles we face. But followers of Christ have an assurance that brings comfort to our weary hearts. The comforting presence of the Savior is promised in words that are undeniable, for the psalmist David wrote, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (Ps. 23:4).

Whether isolated by our own choices, by the cultural trends that surround us, or by the painful losses of life, all who know Christ can rest in the presence of the Shepherd of our hearts. What a friend we have in Jesus!

I’ve found a Friend; O such a Friend!
He loved me ere I knew Him;
He drew me with the cords of love,
And thus He bound me to Him. —Small
Those who know Jesus as their Friend are never alone.
Insight
As a young boy, David, the author of Psalm 23, was a shepherd. He was responsible for his family’s sheep, which were a significant part of the family’s livelihood. In order to make sure the sheep were well fed and watered, shepherds in ancient Israel would often have to take their flocks deep into the wilderness for long periods of time. It is possible that when David penned this psalm, he was reflecting on God’s presence in the wilderness as he was alone with his sheep. Thinking of the constant and watchful care he provided for each and every sheep, he found comfort in the presence and care of God even when his only companions were animals.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #1331
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
What’s In A Name?
By Poh Fang Chia

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: John 1:35-42
You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church. —Matthew 16:18
Bible in a Year:
Judges 19-21; Luke 7:31-50
My friend wrote a letter to his newborn child that he wanted him to read when he was older: “My dear boy, Daddy and Mummy wish that you will find and stay focused on the Light. Your Chinese name is xin xuan. Xin means faithfulness, contentment, and integrity; xuan stands for warmth and light.” He and his wife carefully chose a name based on their hopes for their baby boy.

When Jesus renamed Simon as Peter/Cephas (John 1:42), it wasn’t a random choice. Peter means “the rock.” But it took a while for him to live up to his new name. The account of his life reveals him as a fisherman known for his rash ways—a shifting-sand kind of guy. Peter disagreed with Jesus (Matt. 16:22-23), struck a man with a sword (John 18:10-11), and even denied knowing Jesus (John 18:15-27). But in Acts, we read that God worked in and through him to establish His church. Peter truly became a rock.

If you, like Peter, are a follower of Jesus, you have a new identity. In Acts 11:26, we read, “The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.” The name “Christians” means “Christ-ones.” You now are one of the Christ-ones. This title lifts up who you are and calls you to become what you are not yet. God is faithful, and He will complete His good work in you (Phil. 1:6).

Dear Father, thank You for the incredible privilege
of being called Your child. May we understand
more fully what it means to be identified with Your
Son, Jesus Christ. Work in us and through us.
We honor God’s name when we call Him our Father and live like His children.
Insight
Today’s reading records a call to discipleship. After John the Baptist identified Jesus as the “Lamb of God,” two of his disciples followed Jesus. Andrew is named, but the second spiritual seeker is not. Many commentators believe that the apostle John is the second disciple. Notice the easy conversation which takes place between the two disciples and Christ. He asks what they seek. They inquire about where He is staying, and He invites them to come and see. The tenth hour by Jewish reckoning was 4:00 p.m. Obviously, the day was coming to an end. Andrew became so excited about Jesus’ invitation that he went to find his brother Simon and brought him to meet the Master.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #1332
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Strawberry Mess
By Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Philippians 4:1-5
Be of the same mind in the Lord. —Philippians 4:2
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 7-9; Luke 9:18-36
My husband and I had recently moved into our house when a man dropped off a large box of strawberries on our front sidewalk. He left a note saying he wanted us to share them with our neighbors. He meant well, but some children discovered the box before any adults did and had a strawberry-throwing party at our white house. When we returned home, we saw children we knew watching us from behind a fence. They had “returned to the scene of the crime” to see how we would react to the mess. We could have just cleaned it up ourselves, but to restore our relationship, we felt it was important to talk with them and require their help in cleaning our strawberry-stained house.

Life can get messy with relationship struggles. This was the case in the Philippian church. Two faithful servants, Euodia and Syntyche, were in sharp disagreement. The apostle Paul wrote to the church to encourage them to work through their problems (Phil. 4:2). He also wanted another person to come alongside them with a spirit of gentleness. He wrote, “I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel” (v.3).

Realizing we’ve all made messes in life, we can trust the Lord to help us deal gently with others.

Dear Lord, please give me discernment and
courage in my relationships. Help me by Your
power to be gentle and show the same love
to others that You have shown to me.
True love both confronts and restores.
Insight
As Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi comes to an end, he provides his readers with a number of imperatives: “stand fast in the Lord” (v.1); “be of the same mind” (v.2); “help [those] who labored with me in the gospel” (v.3); “rejoice in the Lord always” (v.4); and “let your gentleness be known to all men” (v.5). Notice the varied kinds of imperatives given. Because unity, support, rejoicing, and gentleness are needed depending upon the situation, sensitivity to the Spirit’s leading helps us to tap into God’s resources so that we can respond appropriately to each circumstance.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #1333
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Getting Beyond Ourselves
By Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 2 Corinthians 3:7-18
We all, . . . beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed. —2 Corinthians 3:18
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 10-12; Luke 9:37-62
I have one of those friends who seems to be better than I am at just about everything. He is smarter; he thinks more deeply; and he knows where to find better books to read. He is even a better golfer. Spending time with him challenges me to become a better, more thoughtful person. His standard of excellence spurs me on to greater things.

That highlights a spiritual principle: It’s crucial for us to spend time in God’s Word so we can connect with the person of Christ. Reading about the impact of Jesus’ unconditional love for us compels me to love without demand. His mercy and His free distribution of grace to the most undeserving make me ashamed of my tendency to withhold forgiveness and seek revenge.

I find myself becoming a more thankful person when I realize that, despite my shameful fallenness, the Lord has clothed me in the beauty of His perfect righteousness. His amazing ways and unsurpassed wisdom motivate and transform me. It’s hard to be content with my life as it is when in His presence I am drawn to become more like Him.

The apostle Paul calls us to the joy of beholding Christ. As we do so, we are “being transformed into the same image from glory to glory” (2 Cor. 3:18).

Lord, help us to come into Your presence with eyes
and hearts wide open to all that You are and want us
to become. Thank You for revealing Yourself to us
and for the joy of basking in the greatness of Your glory.
Stay close to God and you will never be the same.
Insight
Paul underscores the superiority of the new covenant over the old covenant (2 Cor. 3:7-11) by referring back to Exodus 34:29-35. Moses’ face so radiated with God’s glory after having communed with God that the Israelites were afraid to come near Moses (Ex. 34:8). Paul says the ministry of the Spirit is much more glorious (2 Cor. 3:8).

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #1334
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Loved To Love
By Randy Kilgore

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Deuteronomy 10:12-22
Therefore love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. —Deuteronomy 10:19
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 13-14; Luke 10:1-24
Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s life was at risk every day he stayed in Hitler’s Germany, but he stayed nonetheless. I imagine he shared the apostle Paul’s view that being in heaven was his heart’s desire, but staying where he was needed was God’s present purpose (Phil. 1:21). So stay he did; as a pastor he offered clandestine worship services and resisted the evil regime under Hitler.

Despite the daily danger, Bonhoeffer penned Life Together—a book on hospitality as ministry. He put this principle to the test when he lived and worked in a monastic community and when he was imprisoned. Every meal, every task, and every conversation, Bonhoeffer taught, was an opportunity to show Christ to others, even under great stress or strain.

We read in Deuteronomy that just as God ministered to the Israelites who were leaving Egypt, He instructed them to imitate Him by loving and hosting strangers and widows (10:18-19; Ex. 22:21-22). We too are loved by God and empowered by His Spirit to serve Him by serving others in countless ways each day through kind words and actions.

Who on our daily journey seems lonely or lost? We can trust the Lord to enable us to bring them hope and compassion as we live and labor together for Him.

That I may serve Him with a full surrender,
My life a crucible, His eye the test,
Each hour a gift from Him, the gracious Sender,
Each day a pledge to give to Christ my best. —Anon.
The more we understand God’s love for us the more love we’ll show to others.
Insight
It is interesting to note that when our Lord faced His temptations in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1-11), all of the verses He quoted are from Deuteronomy (8:3; 6:16,13).

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #1335
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Left Side Of The Road
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Galatians 5:1-14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” —Galatians 5:14
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 15-16; Luke 10:25-42
Growing up in the US, I always thought it interesting that in some countries motorists drive on the left side of the road instead of the right. Then, when I was in England, I heard a London tour guide explain one possible reason for this law: “In the 1800s, pedestrians as well as horse-and-carriages used the same roads. When a carriage was on the right side of the road, a driver’s horse whip would sometimes hit a passerby. To remove this hazard, a law was passed requiring all carriages to travel on the left side of the road so the pedestrians could be kept safe.”

Just as the rules of the road are for our benefit and protection, so are God’s commands. Because He loves us, He has given them to us for our benefit. Paul writes: “For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’” (Gal. 5:13-14).

As we apply God’s Word to our hearts, let’s keep in mind that the God of grace has given us His guidelines to help us grow in our love for Him and our concern for others.

Thy Word is everlasting truth;
How pure is every page!
That Holy Book shall guide our youth
And well support our age. —Watts
The Bible has treasures of wisdom to mine.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #1336
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
“Isn’t God Powerful!”
By Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 29
Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name. —Psalm 29:2
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 17-18; Luke 11:1-28
One day, my 3-year-old granddaughter Katie surprised her mom and dad with a bit of theological expertise. She said to them, “You both had sisters who died. Then God took them up to heaven to be with Him. Isn’t God powerful!”

God’s immense power is a mystery, yet it is simple enough for a child to understand. In Katie’s young way of thinking, she knew that for God to do something so miraculous, it would mean that He is powerful. Without understanding all the details, she knew that God did something wonderful by taking her two aunts to heaven.

How often do we sit back in our more sophisticated world and marvel: “Isn’t God powerful”? Probably not often enough. We can’t know how God spun the worlds into existence with His voice (Job 38–39; Ps. 33:9; Heb. 11:3), nor can we know how He maintains control of them (Neh. 9:6). We can’t know how He planned and fulfilled the incarnation of Jesus, nor can we understand how He can make Christ’s sacrifice sufficient for our salvation. But we know these things are true.

The power of God: immeasurable in its wonder yet clear enough for us to understand. It’s yet another reason to praise Him.

Everything God does is marked with simplicity and power. —Tertullian
Insight
Psalm 29 is a graphic celebration of the strength of the Lord. Each of the elements on which the voice of the Lord is said to have an effect was a recognized symbol of strength in the ancient world, and the voice of the Lord shakes these elements with ease. But the beginning and the end of the psalm talk about the strength of people. In verse 1, the “mighty ones” are to give glory and strength to the Lord. And verse 11 gives the source of that strength, God Himself. What God gives us, we are to offer back to Him.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #1337
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Mistaken Identity
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Matthew 16:13-20
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” —Matthew 16:15
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 25-26; Luke 12:32-59
My youngest brother, Scott, was born when I was a senior in high school. This age difference made for an interesting situation when he grew to college age. On his first trip to his college campus, I went along with him and our mom. When we arrived, people thought we were Scott Crowder and his dad and his grandmom. Eventually, we gave up correcting them. No matter what we said or did, our actual relationships were overridden by this humorous case of mistaken identity.

Jesus questioned the Pharisees about His identity: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” They replied, “The Son of David” (Matt. 22:42). The identity of Messiah was critical, and their answer was correct but incomplete. The Scriptures had affirmed that Messiah would come and reign on the throne of His father David. But Jesus reminded them that though David would be Christ’s ancestor, He would also be more—David referred to Him as “Lord.”

Faced with a similar question, Peter rightly answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matt. 16:16). Still today, the question of Jesus’ identity rises above the rest in significance—and it is eternally important that we make no mistake in understanding who He is.

Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail,
In Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail;
Thy mercies how tender, how firm to the end,
Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer, and Friend. —Grant
No mistake is more dangerous than mistaking the identity of Jesus.
Insight
The place where Jesus asked His disciples the question about His identity was significant, for it was at Caesarea Philippi (v.13), a center of worship for Baal, the Greek god Pan, and the emperor. Jesus first asked what others were saying about His identity (vv.13-14). He then made it personal, directing the question to His own disciples: “Who do you say that I am?” (v.15). To the world, Jesus was merely a great man, such as John the Baptist, Elijah, or Jeremiah (v.14). But Peter got it right: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (v.16).

Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #1338
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Spoonful Of Sugar
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 19:7-14
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. . . . Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. —Psalm 19:9-10
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 27-29; Luke 13:1-22
Where is Mary Poppins when you need her? I know this sounds as if I’m longing for the good old days when cheerfully unrealistic movies featured characters like this fictional nanny, but what I’m really longing for are people with a vision for the future that is realistically optimistic. I yearn for joyful, creative people who can show us the positive side of what we consider negative, who can remind us that “just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.”

David wrote a song that expressed a similar truth. In his words, “the judgments of the Lord” are “sweeter also than . . . honey” (Ps. 19:9-10). Seldom do we hear that truth is sweet. More often we hear that it is bitter or hard to swallow. But truth is so much more than medicine to treat what’s wrong. It’s the diet that will prevent disease. It’s not an inoculation or an injection. It’s a gourmet meal that should be presented as a culinary delight, enticing the hungry to “taste and see that the Lord is good” (34:8).

We sing “Jesus is the sweetest name I know,” but some of us present Him as if He’s gone sour. Pure truth, untainted by pride, is the sweetest, most refreshing taste of all to those who hunger for spiritual sustenance. And we have the privilege of serving it to a starving world.

Jesus is the sweetest name I know,
And He’s just the same as His lovely name,
And that’s the reason why I love Him so;
Oh, Jesus is the sweetest name I know. —Long
The truth of the Lord endures forever. —Psalm 117:2
Insight
Psalm 19 is a song of David that celebrates how God has revealed Himself to us—first in His creation and then in the Scriptures. While the psalm does not tell us at what point in David’s life this song was written, many scholars have suggested that it was in some way a product of David’s years as a shepherd over his father’s flocks. Constantly exposed to the wonders of God’s creation, David would have found ample material to celebrate how the Creator reveals Himself in what He has made (vv.1-6).

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #1339
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Joining The Family

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Galatians 3:26–4:7
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. —Galatians 3:26
Bible in a Year:
1 Samuel 30-31; Luke 13:23-35
Maurice Griffin was adopted when he was 32 years old. He had lived with Lisa and Charles Godbold 20 years earlier as a foster child. Although Maurice was now a man living on his own, adoption had been what the family and he had always longed for. Once they were reunited and the adoption was official, Maurice commented, “This is probably the happiest moment in my life. . . . I’m happy to be home.”

Those of us who have joined the family of God may refer to that time as the happiest moment in our lives. When we trust Christ for salvation, we become God’s children, and He becomes our heavenly Father. The Bible assures us, “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus” (Gal. 3:26).

As God’s adopted children, we acquire spiritual siblings—our brothers and sisters in Christ—and we all share an eternal inheritance (Col. 1:12). In addition, Jesus’ Spirit indwells our hearts and enables us to pray using the name Abba, Father (Gal. 4:6)—like a child calling, “Daddy.”

To be a child of God is to experience the closeness and security of a Father who loves us, accepts us, and wants to know us. Our adoption into His family is a wonderful homecoming.

I once was an outcast stranger on earth,
A sinner by choice, and an alien by birth;
But I’ve been adopted, my name’s written down,
An heir to the mansion, a robe, and a crown. —Buell
God’s arms are always open to welcome anyone home.
Insight
Paul’s use of the metaphor of adoption is significant. A child who is orphaned and abandoned is likely to die. But through adoption a child is accepted and made part of the family, with full status and rights. That child is given a new life. This is God’s action toward us. When God redeems us, He accepts us into His family as sons and daughters.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #1340
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
All Kinds Of Help
By Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Genesis 41:46-57
Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you.” —Genesis 41:39
Bible in a Year:
2 Samuel 1-2; Luke 14:1-24
In the wake of the shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, many people have felt strongly compelled to help. Some donated blood for the injured, some provided free lunches and coffee at their restaurants for workers. Others wrote letters of comfort or just gave hugs. Some sent gifts of money and teddy bears for the children; others offered counseling. People found ways to serve according to their personalities, abilities, and resources.

A story in the Bible about Joseph tells how he used his skills to play an important role in helping people survive a 7-year famine (Gen. 41:53-54). In his case, he could prepare beforehand because he knew a difficult time was coming. After Joseph warned Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, that the lean years were coming, Pharaoh put him in charge of the 7-year preparation time. Joseph used wisdom and discernment from God to get his country ready (41:39). Then, when “the famine was over all the face of the earth, . . . Joseph opened all the storehouses” (v.56). He was even able to help his own family (45:16-18).

These stories show the heart of God for the world. He has prepared us and made us who we are that we might care for others in whatever way He leads us.

Lord, help me feel the hurt that others feel
When life inflicts some bitter pain,
And use me in some loving way to heal
The wounds that may through life remain. —D. DeHaan
Compassion offers whatever is necessary to heal.
Insight
Although Joseph suffered many injustices, God ultimately used him to help others by empowering him to provide food for those who otherwise would have starved. This principle applies to the believer even today. God can help us persevere in our suffering so that we can help others who are in need in the future. In the New Testament, Paul tells us that we experience pain and God’s comfort in order to comfort others (2 Cor. 1:3-4).

Closed Thread