Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #341
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
Like i said before, really the only reason to pull the cover off would be to measure the MWE groove if it is voted in that it must be behind the 1/8" protrusion. I don't see how you could measure this accuratly with out dial calipers or a Go/No Go gauge with the compressor wheel in the way.

I know the $50 protest fee does seem alittle cheap, but I'm not the one who voted it in. That was the board members doings. Again all of this will be discussed at the general and class rules meetings.

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #342
TwoStroke

Name: TwoStroke
Title: Thompson Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino_fab View Post
Like i said before, really the only reason to pull the cover off would be to measure the MWE groove if it is voted in that it must be behind the 1/8" protrusion. I don't see how you could measure this accuratly with out dial calipers or a Go/No Go gauge with the compressor wheel in the way.

I know the $50 protest fee does seem alittle cheap, but I'm not the one who voted it in. That was the board members doings. Again all of this will be discussed at the general and class rules meetings.
Im not b1tch1n at you, i just know how some are. I know that at a pull a few weeks ago there was an issue with a turbo and someone stated that if the truck come back they would tear the turbo apart. Its my understanding that he won and then the fuss started. Im not taking sides whether it had a legal charger or not because I dont know for fact. I also know some would protest out of spite and it would get out of hand.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #343
Tad

Name: Tad
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
If the protest is cheap that will keep people from wanting to cheat and maybe getting caught. If its legal its free money and not that hard to check. Rule should say owner and tech is only people that get to see it no one else.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #344
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
If the protest is cheap that will keep people from wanting to cheat and maybe getting caught. If its legal its free money and not that hard to check. Rule should say owner and tech is only people that get to see it no one else.
X2. You have to trust the tech guys. Otherwise this is a "hey lemme see what you're running" kind of thing.

The only counterbalance to it would be to let it be known to all the other pullers, "you tear me down, everyone else in the top 5 is getting tore down immediately following, so y'all do what you want, just sayin.'"

Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #345
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino_fab View Post
You could make a tiny little depth guage with a hook on it. Have a cross bar that's curved (so it mates to the inducer wall) that bridges 2 blade tips. Exactly 1/8" behind that you have a hook that cannot drop in.

Without a drawing that might just sound like jibberish, I know. And some chargers have enough slop in the bearings that it may confuse the measurement.

Yeah, mebbe you have to yank the cover. Still, it's gonna be tricky to measure protrusion when you don't have a defined lip or edge to pull from.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #346
Timebomb

Name: Timebomb
Title: Bootney Lee Fonsworth
Member`s Gallery
A venturi/restrictor like westons CAD drawing placed in front of the comp cover is the only fair way to regulate competition. Other major auto orgs with turbos have done this for years. Its simple and no way around, should be an easy choice.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #347
HOHN

Name: HOHN
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Interesting, I guess trying to put my feeble mind on it, is that more of a vacuum you pull the less dense the air is. Which would explain why the mass flow rate stays constant.
Since you're pulling vacuum (or trying to), there is a maximum delta P of ~14.69psi.

You will never achieve that full delta P because the flow through the point of restriction will hit the sonic limit.

You cannot accelerate air past the speed of sound by suction.

I'm not a puller, but it's rather obvious to me that a restriction fitting in the air inlet hose is the simplest, cheapest, fairest way to limit power.

JMO

Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #348
XLR8R

Name: XLR8R
Title: Crew Chief
Member`s Gallery
Sonic choke strikes again.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #349
Sledpuller

Name: Sledpuller
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Captain Hohn? Where yo u been hiding?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #350
lnimmo77

Name: lnimmo77
Title: Search never works
Member`s Gallery
Padmax, did you even pull last year? I went to see you a couple times but you were never there...

Closed Thread