Restrictor Tube Discussion

Again your theory is flawed, this style of restrictor is used in many other motorsports, your assumption that it has not been effective is just that.

What other motorsports run an actual tube with a profiled "restrictor" like you pictured there then?

Restricting the flow from 42mm to 34mm using a restrictor of this fashion within 50mm of the compressor inducer reduced hp by 149.74whp.

AMS_Performance_Pikes_Peak_Hill_climb_Mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_IX_032909_1%20%2815%29.jpg

What other motorsports run an actual tube with a profiled "restrictor" like you pictured there then?

Rally America, NASA, and CARS to name a few. I don't care to say too much at this point, there are a few variations that will be tested, along with the distance of the restrictor to the compressor wheel, and mounting options.

Last edited:
Restricting the flow from 42mm to 34mm using a restrictor of this fashion within 50mm of the compressor inducer reduced hp by 149.74whp.

AMS_Performance_Pikes_Peak_Hill_climb_Mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_IX_032909_1%20%2815%29.jpg

So reducing it from 1.65 inch to a 1.33 inch inducer lowered the hp 150hp?

what was this on? what was the power to start with?

I believe this is what the Puegot and Audi's have to run in their classes on their diesel's. I know they restricted them cause the gasser guy's where complaining.

This is interesting enough, although, what is something like this going to cost the pullers that have to run them, and/or the pulling orginizations that consider supplying the pullers with these at the events? Even if they were used, this would just be one more thing to tech because I am sure someone will try and modify it to thier advantage. From a tech officials stand point, this seems would seem just as tough to inspect as just a turbo its self. Not saying that a turbo or this restrictor would be a PIA to inspect, just sayin gI don't really see a difference on how this will make teching easier and leveling the playing field more.

On another note, what would happen in this situation: Lets say the average poor mans performance guy builds a 600hp truck and competes against Mr. Rich guy with a 900+hp truck. Then both have to run this same restrictor that reduces HP by lets say 200hp. Is that going to take away 200hp from both trucks or will it not effect the lower hp truck as much? If both loose the same amount of HP, then how is that leveling the playing field?

I'm not trying to start an arguement or trying to be an ass about this at all. just trying to see how this is all going to work.

$150 or less, if they were modified it would be easy to tell. It will limit airflow, which will limit hp more evenly, no matter the size of compressor used.

$150 or less, if they were modified it would be easy to tell. It will limit airflow, which will limit hp more evenly, no matter the size of compressor used.

I don't buy it. The restricted is the same thing as a bushings. Waste of time

There are some differences, if you take a bushing and don't allow the MWE then yes the restrictor is the same.

Of course I see that when the restrictor was within 50mm of the wheel, I think as you pull this away from the wheel you will see different reductions in HP.

You should contact the ACO and explain to them how their methods of restricting power in the American Le Mans Series is flawed. Typical "I don't understand it so we should shun the idea or ban it" mentality. And some wonder why this sport is hard pressed to progress.

Last edited:
I would say weld the MAP before this idea, that is all it is doing eliminating other ways to allow air to the comp wheel.
Brandon

Doesn't need to be complicated in design, but there does need to be a taper leading into the restriction area. This would also be easier and near the same cost as eliminating the MWE groove.

You should contact the ACO and explain to them how their methods of restricting power in the American Le Mans Series is flawed. Typical "I don't understand it so we should shun the idea or ban it" mentality. And some wonder why this sport is hard pressed to progress.

Indeed. It makes you wonder just how much sleeping in school people have done.

C'mon people! Restrictors limit peak flow. That limits peak power. Period. It doesn't matter what's downstream of it.

Indeed. It makes you wonder just how much sleeping in school people have done.

C'mon people! Restrictors limit peak flow. That limits peak power. Period. It doesn't matter what's downstream of it.

Double the velocity in the restrictor, have you limited peak HP?

Double the velocity in the restrictor, have you limited peak HP?

Exactly!!! Untill I hear exactly how far from the charger this "restrictor" has to be and then see honest real world dyno testing on it I am not beliving the HP drop one bit.

If you are trying to have a restrictor thats easy to tech and fair to all...make each puller put a 4" diameter soup can over the front of the charger with a 1.5" hole drilled in the end of it!!!! That is the closet thing I can think of that would work on one of our engines and resemble and actual Nascar restrictor plate that most are familiar with...not some fancy turned piece of tubing with fancy profiles that could potentially double the velocity of the intake charge!!!

Cheap and easy:kick:
Ryan

Exactly!!! Untill I hear exactly how far from the charger this "restrictor" has to be and then see honest real world dyno testing on it I am not beliving the HP drop one bit.

Parts of a few variations will be sent out this week to be tested, I will no longer debate common sense, or the lack thereof.

Back