Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Sabastian458

Name: Sabastian458
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Need help/advice- new build-no start issue

Quick run down, rebuilt my spare truck’s 12 valve. Stock build but added the beginner mods. 1996 12 Valve 215 p-pump manual trans

Stock pistons, stock cam,16 degree ppump timing, 60 valve springs, 4K gsk’s, lift pump spring upgrade, -8 fuel lines with sump, dual feed, 24v oil pump, 13in ceramic clutch.

Once together I bled fuel, got fuel leaking from each injector, tightened down and attempted starting. No go. Won’t even fire off and try to start. Pretty sure starter is on its way out after trying for so long. Works currently but will stick in “starting” position at times, after repeated start attempts.

So I checked injection timing, thinking it may have slipped. Nope, still where I set it. Checked cam timing, “0” and “00” are where they are suppose to be. I had pulled ppump to reset to pin time (couldn’t see timing flange in pump. Putting back together at stock timing now)

I’m out of ideas. Other than maybe the crankshaft might be out 180 from the cam. Is that possible? I had cyl 1 at tdc when I put the bottom together and assumed that putting the cam mark with the crank mark would be good enough. But is it possible that it could be off and cause the no start?

Cliffs.
Rebuilt short block
New fuel system
No start
Ppump timing good
Cam/crank mark good
Fuel shut off valve is up when starting

Old 04-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Does it huff white smoke when trying to crank. I was helping a buddy get his started after a pump swap. He had it so out of time it wouldn't even hit on ether. How are you setting injection timing?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian458 View Post
Quick run down, rebuilt my spare truck’s 12 valve. Stock build but added the beginner mods. 1996 12 Valve 215 p-pump manual trans

Stock pistons, stock cam,16 degree ppump timing, 60 valve springs, 4K gsk’s, lift pump spring upgrade, -8 fuel lines with sump, dual feed, 24v oil pump, 13in ceramic clutch.

Once together I bled fuel, got fuel leaking from each injector, tightened down and attempted starting. No go. Won’t even fire off and try to start. Pretty sure starter is on its way out after trying for so long. Works currently but will stick in “starting” position at times, after repeated start attempts.

So I checked injection timing, thinking it may have slipped. Nope, still where I set it. Checked cam timing, “0” and “00” are where they are suppose to be. I had pulled ppump to reset to pin time (couldn’t see timing flange in pump. Putting back together at stock timing now)

I’m out of ideas. Other than maybe the crankshaft might be out 180 from the cam. Is that possible? I had cyl 1 at tdc when I put the bottom together and assumed that putting the cam mark with the crank mark would be good enough. But is it possible that it could be off and cause the no start?

Cliffs.
Rebuilt short block
New fuel system
No start
Ppump timing good
Cam/crank mark good
Fuel shut off valve is up when starting
Don't go by the 0 and 00. Put the cover on the front and the balancer, then find tdc on the engine. The drop valve method works the best. Tdc the engine, pin the pump. Done. Also leave one injector cracked and the rest tight to purge the very last of the air. It will run on 5 then tighten the last one.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
f6jbob

Name: f6jbob
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid is working properly.
2006 RCSB Dodge Goerend tranny and converter, Stainless Diesel twins and exhaust manifold, B&B intake manifold, T&C Diesel CP3, rail and dual prv, Hellman intercooler, Porting by Joker Fabrication, Isspro Performax gauges, AirDog fuel pump. Supported by Pure Diesel Power, Garmons Diesel Performance, Blacks Diesel Performance and above vendors.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
Sabastian458

Member`s Gallery
No white smoke. I put 1 on tdc before head went on, then matched the cam/crank gear marks up. The p-pump I pin timed before installing on the truck. Once on, I used the dial indicator in the cyl 1 bore to advance the timing. Like how “god prefers diesels” videos on YouTube.

Bleeding the fuel wasn’t/isn’t the issue. I gravity bled until I had fuel coming out of the -8 lines, then hand primed the lift pump until fuel came out of the return OFV on the pump, then had all 6 lines on the injectors cracked until fuel had a good leak out of them then tightened.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
You know the starter has issues, your next step should be plain to see.

Mark.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Sabastian458

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
You know the starter has issues, your next step should be plain to see.

Mark.
But the starter still spins the engine over. I can address the starter sticking, should be a set of new contacts. But that would/shouldn’t keep the truck from starting, at least hitting off a few times or something.

And I physically made sure the fuel shut off was in the pulled position.

If I’m missing something obviouse please enlighten me, I’ll gladly check it out. I’ve gotten frustrated with this to the point I’m siure I’m over looking something because I’m frustrated.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
It may still spin it over, but you've mentioned it sticking, which means it's been hot, which likely caused more internal damage.
So, now it doesn't spin the engine over fast enough to make enough pressure for the pump to pop the injectors.

Mark.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
Sabastian458

Member`s Gallery
Interesting, I didn’t think of that. I will swap starters off my main truck to see if it will start with that. (New NAPA replacement) I will update once I accomplish that.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
gman99

Name: gman99
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I'm not sure how much I believe it wouldn't try to start if everything is right. I had a weak battery engine turning slow, ALL 6 injector lines cracked while bleeding the system and it still started. Shot fuel out of the lines and sprayed diesel everywhere. Definitely not intentional and to be honest it scared the crap out of me, lol.
98 QCLB 4x4 12V, ARP625+ Studs, 14mm mains NonIC pistons, Ported head, Marine Cam, Hamilton Pushrods and Tappets, BeeHive springs HE351cw over Billet S475, 4KGSK, 5X.018's, 7mm DV's, 24 Degrees Timing, 5" Exhaust, TCS Input, DPC Converter, Firepunk Competition Rebuild Kit

Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
How much throttle are you giving it while you crank? My hunch is on the GSK install. If the idle screw is too far out, or the springs weren't set right, no fuel.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
RAMblin Fever

Name: RAMblin Fever
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Get it running?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
stroked diesel

Name: stroked diesel
Title: Coach Peacock
Member`s Gallery
Bumping this back up as i am having the same issue, curious if OP cured the prob. Got pump back from Seth, set motor at TDC, installed everything just how it came off, bled system have fuel at all 6 injectors. wont even try to turn over
96 2500 4x4- under the knife
13' Ram 3500 4x4 DRW

Matthew 17:20
Isiah 41:10

Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
95cummins5.9

Member`s Gallery
You left the pump pinned when you went to tdc right?

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked diesel View Post
Bumping this back up as i am having the same issue, curious if OP cured the prob. Got pump back from Seth, set motor at TDC, installed everything just how it came off, bled system have fuel at all 6 injectors. wont even try to turn over
Not sure if you know but top dead center happens twice per cycle, compression stroke (the one you want) and exhaust stroke. did you make sure both #1 valves were loose on tdc? the pump can go in 180* out and not run.... sorry if you already knew this....

Old 08-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
stroked diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
You left the pump pinned when you went to tdc right?
Yes sir i did, I put motor at TDC before i installed the pump and left it pinned until i did final torque on gear nut
13' Ram 3500 4x4 DRW

Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
95cummins5.9

Member`s Gallery
How clean did you get the tapered shaft and gear? Electrical cleaner works the best, no residue, lightly blow compressed air on it and torqued to 175 ft lbs?

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #18
stroked diesel

Member`s Gallery
I got it started, thanks 95cummins, I cleaned it good with everything you mentioned and torqued it down. I had made a foolish rookie mistake and motor was not at true TDC but instead I installed it 180* off.
Again thanks for the info, once i pulled the pin cover off again to find the pump pin I went up and felt the #1 valves, they were not loose. Immediately knew what i did wrong.
Thats what I get for being in a hurry.
13' Ram 3500 4x4 DRW

Old 08-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
Man wish I thought of that.... smh

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
95cummins5.9

Member`s Gallery
Hahaha

Closed Thread