Sled Pulling Rules?

the reason I ask is I can get some pretty trick turbos stuffed into an HX35 center and compressor, but the turbine housing is the limiting factor... if it MUST be a 3" HX35/H1C outlet, it's going to hurt :(

It's funny the guys thinking the 2.6 classes all over are going to be better for the average hot street truck. With all the talk about turbos on some of the other sites it will be worse than the 2.8 class ever was.

ive been on a diet this past year and i think i can shimmy down to 8000and hang some weight loseing 250lbs. is not easy but i am doing it for 2 reasons 1 for my health and 2 so i can put that bluber up front imight upgrade my turbo and go a little biger for the 2.8 class

mech2161 said:
It's funny the guys thinking the 2.6 classes all over are going to be better for the average hot street truck. With all the talk about turbos on some of the other sites it will be worse than the 2.8 class ever was.

Kevin can you elaborate?

Back cut housings over 2.8's. Clip the fins to fit a 2.6 housing. All while keeping the 2.6 inducer bore. Anyone that thought making another class would help IMO was wrong. You better be ready to spend money modifying a turbo to compete.

I am thinking that they are saying it has to be a 2.6 inducer If that is the case a back cut housing won't work. It won't keep someone from grinding the compressor wheel inducer down to fit in a 2.6 bore though.

Oh yes it will! You simply back cut the compressor housing to fit over the larger wheel. You still have a 2.6 inducer bore. A bushed turbo without the bushing.

Talked to FPP last night and the current plan is to run 2.650" max bore and the tips of the wheel must be visible inside that bore.

This would allow shaving / grinding wheels to fit the proper housing dimensions but would not allow counterboring the housing to accept a wheel with a minor diameter larger than 2.650" (i.e., the "native bushing).

Follow the link that Kevin put up, opinions are welcome.

This just makes no sense to me. The guys wanting the 2.6 said they could't hang in the 2.8 class. So now they allow you to highly modify the compressor housing to have a 2.8 bushed turbo without the bushing.
Looks like I'll call II and get a housing and run 2.6 on my K31.:ft:

Well, Kev, unless you spec (and tech inspect) the wheel itself, it appears that there is no other practical solution.

How do you keep people from modding turbos otherwise? I'm all for it, but it would take a long time to tech inspect it, and there would be no end to fighting about what the profile on the wheel should look like.

Again I'm open to a better solution, if one exists!

Kevin I rememberyou screaming you wanted a 2.8 no bushing class. HOw is this any different than that? I believe I heard of a organization putting a maximum diameter on the compressor housing. It is a 2.8 bushed class and basically allows gt4202 and s400 compressor housings. Maybe something like that with the s300/hx40 could be done with the 2.6 class or even a maximum diameter of the exducer on the compressor wheel.

Pretty much modding the HX35 several people were using H2E stuff and stuffing them in the hx35 stuff.

Ah yes I do want a 2.8 no bushing class. FPP has no 2.8 class at all! It goes from 2.6 street to any single PS. Big jump.
I think NADM & DHRA are going in the right direction.

Mat I just read your ramblings on the taboo site! :) I agree with some of them and that was my thoughts. What is to keep from taking a 3.0 charger and machining the wheel down to fit in a 2.x cover. I haven't read all of it yet, but you talk about look at the s400 chargers. The 2.8 inducer has the same major diameter as the 3.0. Now the trick would be to find a 3.0 and bush it to the 2.8 and compare the flow rates.

Last edited:
Yes, Dan, if I had a test stand or access to one, I would publish that stuff until the cows came home to show what bushings do and don't do.

Kevin, with your current truck setup, Re-doing your charger to 2.6 might be a match made in heaven.

Going the right direction? NADM above says bushings allowed in the 2.8" class.....and you have repeatedly disagreed with that. I would be shocked if DHRA goes no-bushing with the 2.8"s, but time will tell. Trouble is, both of these organizations will be warring for a slice of the same pie, so it would benefit them both to run just like DHRA has been.

Why nothing from McBride in like, weeks and weeks?

???

Maybe he doesn't know pulling? I always thought he did a great job announcing! Mat for clarification did you have only the turbine wheel machined? Or did you do what we are referring to on your compressor? I don't agree with a lip in a compressor cover. The inducer should be limited, as as well as the compressor wheel exducer. It won't be teched, but could easily be disputed and checked afterwards. Tech them all once, use some sort of tamperproof device and tell them this is the turbo that is ran all year. If a problem arises another turbo must be teched. That wouldn't be that hard. Make steep penalties for cheating. Basically if you mod the turbo after it has been teched your DQ'd for the next 12 months.

I agree with Mat.

Kevin get a your charger redone with a 2.6" cover and you will be real competive in a 2.6" class. Your truck makes good power but not enough to be competive in a 2.8" class anymore. A 2.6" can support the power you make.

Honestly Kevin with a 2.6" cover on your turbo I think you would be tough to beat now that your suspension is sorted out.

Dan, I had a grand total of 25 thou machined from the turbine wheel. Yes, it was modded, but I think most people would view that as a small mod, and it was in the direction of decreased performance.

I agree with the principle of teching wheels really thoroughly, but being that thorough in the field is more than most organizations want to do. Fortunately for the pullers, I'm not on a tech crew.

Johnboy and I would make one wicked team if for some reason we decided to jump over that fence :D

Last edited:
Back