Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Alternative Fuels
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alternative Fuels Fuel Talk!

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
suckfumes1984

Name: suckfumes1984
Title: Diesel is my crack
Member`s Gallery
WMO in a common rail

I have used WMO in many diesels sucessfully but have never tried it in a common rail. What percentage would be safe as long as its filteres verry good. 10%? 20%? I know I cant run a 50/ 50 blend just trying to cut fuel costs a little.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Unless you remove all the carbon don't even dream of it. I've been there, done it and can tell you that even a 1 micron filter does not clean it good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
fire power

Name: fire power
Title: slop burner
Member`s Gallery
Agree^^^^ been there done that not a good idea unless you want to by a set of injectors

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
suckfumes1984

Member`s Gallery
Would a centrifuge clean it well enough? Or am I just better off not doing it?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
suckfumes1984

Member`s Gallery
Also what about waste hydraulic oil that is still golden in color? I can get a good bit of 10 weight hydraulic oil from where I work. I am selective of what oil I take too.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
fire power

Member`s Gallery
I have always wanted to try a centrifuge never had the loot to buy a good one I think it could possibly work but after I ruined a set of common rail injectors I gave up although it does work good in an inline fuel system

Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Cumminsfever

Name: Cumminsfever
Title: Steering wheel holder
Member`s Gallery
A friend of mine ran his oil thru a centrifuge twice, and ran it in his duramax at around 25%. About 10,000 miles later, injectors took retirement. Alot of his oil was atf. He thought being thinner oil it should work if it was clean.

1994 Chevy K1500 3.8 vm i6 idi hx30/hx52
Never judge a man's horsepower by his exhaust

Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
If you disassemble a CR injector you'll find a ball and seat. The ball is so small that if you don't know its there you'll most likely lose it. The hole it seats in is smaller yet. Any contaminants in the fuel will erode the seat causing an imbalance in fuel delivery rate. OEM puts 5-7 micron filters on trucks with CR fuel systems. They know the injector can take this amount of dirt for approx 100-150k miles or just until warranty is over.

Quote:
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Last edited by LReiff; 05-06-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
fire power

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfever View Post
A friend of mine ran his oil thru a centrifuge twice, and ran it in his duramax at around 25%. About 10,000 miles later, injectors took retirement. Alot of his oil was atf. He thought being thinner oil it should work if it was clean.
What kind of centrifuge?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
95towrigdodge

Name: 95towrigdodge
Title: sorta a sleeper
Member`s Gallery
my buddy filter to 1 micron and its in his CR and it has been doin just fine

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95towrigdodge View Post
my buddy filter to 1 micron and its in his CR and it has been doin just fine
Not for long.

Quote:

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
DirtyMaxx03

Name: DirtyMaxx03
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
stick with regular diesel fuel in a CR motor. With how expensive these fuel systems are, i wouldnt be experimenting to try and save a couple bucks...

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
beyondbiodiesel

Name: beyondbiodiesel
Title: Beyond Biodiesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckfumes1984 View Post
I have used WMO in many diesels sucessfully but have never tried it in a common rail. What percentage would be safe as long as its filteres verry good. 10%? 20%? I know I cant run a 50/ 50 blend just trying to cut fuel costs a little.
I have been running waste oils as diesel fuel for 5.5 years. I have found blending WMO, or WVO with gasoline at 20% works great in my engine, but WMO tends to coke my injectors.

I am on several alternative diesel fuels forums. Those who have little to no trouble burning WMO blend gasoline with it at 20% and run it on common rail engines with turbochargers.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Drasko

Name: Drasko
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbiodiesel View Post
I have been running waste oils as diesel fuel for 5.5 years. I have found blending WMO, or WVO with gasoline at 20% works great in my engine, but WMO tends to coke my injectors.

I am on several alternative diesel fuels forums. Those who have little to no trouble burning WMO blend gasoline with it at 20% and run it on common rail engines with turbochargers.
Do NOT listen to this guy. Of course youve been running 20% unleaded in your 6.2 diesel. The reason you can is because thats a friggin gas motor basically so of course it will burn unleaded just fine.

As to common rails, run clean regular ULSD. Theyre WAY too precise on the american engines to have extra crap in the fuel.
96 2500 ECLB 4x4 auto beater slow truck
96 3500 ECLBSW4x4 being rebuilt

Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
NicG

Name: NicG
Title: the only way to fly...
Member`s Gallery
If you can't afford to put real fuel in your cr sell it and buy something like a idi Ford or similar dinosaur then you can run your witches brew all ya want.cr fuel systems are so expensive why screw around? One set of injectors crap out and there's your fuel savings in the scrap can,take an injector completely apart and put it back together again and see if you can make it work right, if you can't you have zero business giving tech advice on cr fuel systems.in other words,if your not a expert keep your mouth shut,you could cost alot of folks a lot of money. Just my 10 cents..........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
beyondbiodiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drasko View Post
Do NOT listen to this guy. Of course youve been running 20% unleaded in your 6.2 diesel. The reason you can is because thats a friggin gas motor basically so of course it will burn unleaded just fine.

As to common rails, run clean regular ULSD. Theyre WAY too precise on the american engines to have extra crap in the fuel.
Actually, my 1983 G-20 van was built in Canada and came with a 6.2L Detroit Diesel engine in it from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicG View Post
...take an injector completely apart and put it back together again and see if you can make it work right, if you can't you have zero business giving tech advice on cr fuel systems.in other words,if your not a expert keep your mouth shut,you could cost alot of folks a lot of money. Just my 10 cents..........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
You mean, like the photo below. Yesterday I took my injectors apart and cleaned them. Today I will pop test them, then replace the set that is in the engine.
The top disassembled injector is after cleaning the bottom injector is before cleaning.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by beyondbiodiesel; 07-16-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbiodiesel View Post
You mean, like the photo below. Yesterday I took my injectors apart and cleaned them. Today I will pop test them, then replace the set that is in the engine.
The top disassembled injector is after cleaning the bottom injector is before cleaning.
I'm pretty sure he meant a CR injector!

Quote:

Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Member`s Gallery
beyond, as in beyond a frigin clue when it comes to CR, stop giving bad advice to guys with 6 injectors that are worth more than your entire van, unless of course you are going to buy them a new set when their injectors take a crap, or the cp3 checks out.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
beyondbiodiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaze View Post
beyond, as in beyond a frigin clue when it comes to CR, stop giving bad advice to guys with 6 injectors that are worth more than your entire van, unless of course you are going to buy them a new set when their injectors take a crap, or the cp3 checks out.
If you are interested in burning WMO on a common rail diesel engine, then you can always check the Diesel Stop dot com, or the Diesel Place dot com for plenty of reports from people who burn WMO on a daily basis on common rail diesel engines of various makes. You need not take the advice of those who have never burned WMO on any kind of diesel engine.

Here is the spray pattern from my recently rebuilt IDI diesel injector

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
apocalypse1812

Name: apocalypse1812
Title: Nailed It!
Member`s Gallery
Stop posting about running WMO in your IDI.

This is about WMO in a COMMON RAIL!!!!!

Closed Thread