Help! Vibration at 55-62 mph

Have you tried it on jack stands???

You need to find out if it is driveline or suspension related.

I just went through this on my 08 with the aluminum shaft. Balance means nothing. I had mine throw 3 of the 4 weights off the one end and it balanced with in spec. Still vibrated bad. I ended up knocking the last weight off and the vibration is gone. Inspect the shaft and see if the weights have fallen off. Also make sure the new joints move freely. A tight joint can cause a vibration as well
So i only have 4 weights on the rear shaft currently... Two on each end...
you said it through 3 out of 4 on "one" end correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it doing it running a steady 55mph or whatever the speed was, in 6th gear? What would it do if you ran it out the same speed and held it in 5th.
Soo... it's the same in 5th gear, steady vibration, thought we were onto something but negative

So i only have 4 weights on the rear shaft currently... Two on each end...
you said it through 3 out of 4 on "one" end correct?

Yes my aluminum driveshaft had 4 on each end

Naaa.... not too crazy about 60mph on jack stands honestly

Nothing wrong with this if you have good solid jack stands. We do this after rebuilding an automatic transmission. Run it through the gears to verify all is good.

I'd be checking all sorts of rotating parts with a dial indicator in your situation. Do you have a GoPro to video under the truck while driving?

Nothing wrong with this if you have good solid jack stands. We do this after rebuilding an automatic transmission. Run it through the gears to verify all is good.

I'd be checking all sorts of rotating parts with a dial indicator in your situation. Do you have a GoPro to video under the truck while driving?
I will try the go pro idea i like that...

I haven't read all of this. My 96 wouldn't calm its ****. During the hub conversion, the vibration went away, so I assume it was the rotors.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ever done anything that could have tweaked either end of the rear shaft? I have a similar vibration I've been trying to track down but haven't had much luck and was stupid busy this summer. I pretzeled my driveshaft at one point at a sled pull and the vibration has been there since. The driveshaft shop salvaged the slip yoke and rebuilt the rest. Since then I have rebalanced the shaft with a different very reputable place and it still persists though mine is at higher speed(normally 70-77) but I'm on 35's. I'm tempted to start over with a brand new complete performance shaft cause nothing else seems to be a possible factor. And my brand new tcase spits from the output.... :( Basically, everything points to a bad slip yoke.

And do you have the factory dampener on the slip yoke? My truck had one OEM. I removed it many years ago and never had this vibration until I ruined the factory shaft. I've been thinking of putting a dampener back on... My truck was originally a G56. Do NV5600's have the dampener from factory?

Probably the best check I can think of, and I'm planning to do it in spring, is to remove the rear shaft and drive around in 4wd to check for vibration. Duct tape a cut gatorade bottle over the tcase output to capture the lube.

Last edited:
Rotors will cause a vibration, this is on a second gen but mine were ever so slightly cracked and it was causing some vibration issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

short bed, so no carrier bearing correct?

id agree with above... jack stands and chock the fronts. you can even put the front bumper up against a building or a concrete pole just to be safe. even if it falls off the jacks at 60 with no load the converter will just stall the motor out most likely.

x2 on pulling the rear drive shaft and going for a drive in FWD.

I have a similar vibration with my 06. I get a hopping at 25-32 MPH and again at 55 MPH. I have not tried to push through the 55 MPH side yet, I just take it slow. If I am stuck in traffic at 30ish MPH it will shake your teeth out. If I am on the throttle hard I will not even feel the 25-32 one and will still feel the 55+ one, but I am slowing down acceleration by then.

Started this fall and has steadily been getting worse. I have checked the u joints and all feel fine, both front and rear. My next thing to try is to take my traction bars off and run around like that for a while and see if they might be out of adjustment. Towing a trailer only makes it worse with mine, and that is what my 06 does 90% of the time I am driving it.

my 04 1500 4x4 shakes at about 65 70....I do believe its the tires out of rd. guys in the shop told me theyre good but I still thik its the tires...but

I didn't notice driving real slow the other day that I felt this small kind of a bad bearing feeling maybe...in the front...a hub or u joint maybe

so try driving it real slow and wall along side it or where its smooth and quiet just see is ya feel something

Have you looked at the u-joints in the front axle? The axle always turns whether in four wheel drive or not. If the knuckle u-joints are bad, it can cause a speed related vibration and a lot of times can be heard at lower speeds with the wheels cranked over, but not always. Very common with these trucks.

Although yours seems not as serious, mine was a track bar which led to death wobble. Ever since it's been replaced along with sway bar end-links, it's been perfection.

short bed, so no carrier bearing correct?

id agree with above... jack stands and chock the fronts. you can even put the front bumper up against a building or a concrete pole just to be safe. even if it falls off the jacks at 60 with no load the converter will just stall the motor out most likely.

x2 on pulling the rear drive shaft and going for a drive in FWD.
It's a g56 so no dice on converter lol... and yes short bed no carrier bearing, but i suppose ill have to try the jack stand idea

Last edited:
Back