New starter, stick with OEM?

My starter has been on its way out since TS. Now it's starting about 1 in 15 tries, nothing more than a click. I think it's time for a new one.

Is there a decent starter worth spending money on, or just pick up the cheapo from oreillys/autozone/napa?

O'Reilly's or other for the lifetime warranty, the small wire stud is prone to breaking internally when you break it loose, been there a few times.

Jim

Roger that, thanks guys.

EDIT: On 2nd thought, the re-mans are only a few bucks cheaper than the new ones, except the super cheap one from autozone. I'll probably just get a new one.

But before I do anything, with the symptoms I mentioned, is there any chance its anything else? Contacts or anything?

Last edited:
Yes to the contacts, a few dollars at any starter shop.
Pull apart solenoid and replace, good for another 100k.

Mean Green, supposed to be super, no long term experience though..

Found this, looks really good. Gotta try to find a better deal though.

Mean Green Gear Reduction Starter 7548

Yes to the contacts, a few dollars at any starter shop.
Pull apart solenoid and replace, good for another 100k.

I can't remember ever seeing a "starter" shop. Where can you get just the solenoid? I can't seem to find it by itself.

Found this also, I've been wanting a stronger alternator for a while now.
Mean Green High Output Alternator 1331

Last edited:
larryb's

rebuild it yourself, it will last 100k plus

edit Larryb - LarryB's Cummins Dodge Denso Starter EASY rebuild kit 94-06

I like that, I'll try it first, that way I'm only out 60 bucks if I mess it up with my lack of expertise.

Should I bother with this kit, or just the "easy" one?

Larryb - LarryB's Cummins Dodge Denso Starter COMPLETE rebuild kit 94-06

Shop that rebuild starters and alternators.. You have one local, if we do, then you do...

No doubt, OKC has a lot of stuff, its just me not being from here.

Last edited:
if the starter is just clicking when you hit it, its probably just the contacts. Its up to you how much stuff you want to replace though. Either way, its easy to do.

What justifies a bad contact? These ones didn't look that bad. also I don't know where the washer came from LOL I was going to do the brush kit too but when I saw it required soldering, i changed my mind.

rage2yvu.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Also, the stud that the little wire connects to is pulling out of the starter body, along with the soft plug its part of. Is it ok to just glue/rtv that back in?

I only run OEM on diesels. The original lasts 100-400k, so why run something else? A lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat when you're laying on the ground in a parking lot for the fifth time getting ready to warranty it out for another POS

So starter crapped out again. Now it clicks once and is done. I can get it cranking by jumping the two terminals on the starter body, but it doesn't seem to spin fast enough to start the truck. power is not an issue, verified that already.

Probably just gonna get a napa in the morning. And of course this happens in an ice storm.

I should add the click is real faint. The dash lights won't even dim.

Why would it start when jumped, but not with the ignition?

You went the cheap route and it cost you $60 and your time. Learn from that, put in a new factory starter and be done with it. I have been dealing with major Quality control issues from all aftermarket electronics companies lately.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back