Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Clutch threads?

I've been searching as I know it's been discussed, but have come up empty. The clutch in my truck is getting tired, its been rebuilt once, and I'm thinking about doing something different, just trying to read up as much as I can. Currently a haisley street drag I believe, little grabby when towing, looking for smoother engagement. VP truck, maybe 400hp give or take, long term plans are compounds to support 500 working hp. If anyone can find the previous threads, links are appreciated. Have kinda been leaning towards a quiet valair, and intend on contacting them before doing anything, just trying to make the right decision. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I just installed the new dual disc organic from south end. It's the smoothest and most quite dual disc I've had yet. Also shifts easy
I can't remember the model # of it, but it's their newest clutch with -org at the end of the part number. Summit has them in stock

Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
3250 dd organic

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
99GreenCummins

Name: 99GreenCummins
Title: That guy....
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
3250 dd organic
I'd agree with this. Either brand is good. I've got a South bend in my 2nd Gen. Installed a valair. Guy loves it.
1999 Ram 2500,6 spd, typical mods

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Smokinrebel

Name: Smokinrebel
Member`s Gallery
Had a sb 3250 in my old dodge and liked it quite a bit. Sb is awesome to work with too

Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Sb3250 is what my truck had when I bought it, whoever installed it installed one of the friction plates backwards. This caused it to strip the center hub. I called South bend and they fixed it for free and had it back to me next day. It was a good clutch and shifted easy. Then I grew a brain and built a 47re lol

Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
Sb3250 is what my truck had when I bought it, whoever installed it installed one of the friction plates backwards. This caused it to strip the center hub. I called South bend and they fixed it for free and had it back to me next day. It was a good clutch and shifted easy. Then I grew a brain and built a 47re lol
I'll have to call them too, only other thing is I would like to be able to hook it to a sled once or twice a yr and not smoke the clutch. Too much time and money invested in the manual, I won't switch this truck, but if(hopefully when) I get the opportunity to buy a newer truck, itll be an auto.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
I have a half ceramic half organic one in my truck. I've slipped it so bad i ripped teeth off a 1 3/8 input, clutch is just fine!

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #9
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Clutch threads?

I have a single disc organic from valair in my 12v. 400hp rated one. It’s labeled as a oem engagement and hold, though it’s a little more grabby than oem I feel like. I did slip it when I was hooked to a loaded grain trailer in soft dirt. Honestly thought this near stock 12v engine would die before this clutch slipped pulling that trailer out.

My cousin had an older valair dual disc ceramic in his 06 CR. Ran it for 150k. It was crude, noisy, and hard to shift. But that sucker held! For just a tuned truck it is fun. He recently replaced it with a valair dual quiet organic clutch. His claim is the truck is like new again. Easy to shift, no noise, vast improvement. Though the new clutch doesn’t have the same holding power as his old ceramic dual.

To each their own.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
I run a 3850# Valair Comp clutch dual disk. It's full ceramic with no springs in the clutch plates. It's my first aftermarket clutch, as it came with my used G56. Valair told me on the phone that I can't tow with it, but I have towed thousands of loaded gooseneck miles with it. It is not for the faint of heart, but holds any and everything. You are not dumping it with a loaded trailer unless you want to dump the G56 guts onto the pavement. I do however tow very spiritedly, as much as 2nd gen brakes will allow, but it shifts sorta slow.

I guess what I'm saying is probably go less aggressive than this one. I'm probably around 500hp and it's overkill.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
Muddin_dude06

Name: Muddin_dude06
Title: ...
Member`s Gallery
My ValAir modular iron dual disc with ceramic pads is really pretty dang smooth except for very odd ball and rare occasions. I’ve towed with it quite a bit, nothing too terribly heavy that I can remember. Probably 10k or less out on the road. My buddy had one in an ‘07 and it was quite a bit more grabby but I think it was a model rated for more power. The only thing that worries me about organic clutches is if they ever get soaked in oil from a rear main leak I wouldn’t think they could recover from that.
Hamilton 178/208, pushrods, PDD street springs, S362sxe/.7WG

‘12 LML crew cab swb 4x4 RC 3.5” lift with 33’s
Anarchy tune
5” exhaust w/ Jones 5050XL

Old 03-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Kenny’s makes single disks. I have no experience with them but his duel disk is holding very well in one of my trucks. Good guys to deal with when I was going threw the selection process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Closed Thread