Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #741
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Result why we get a lot of blowby or crankcase pressure during the last two races losing power.
A crack in the piston and yes these are steel pistons so there are weak points that why we moved to a other steel pistons construction as for having better support to get the force of the piston better projected on the piston pin.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Looks much like a recurring piston failure seen on some ISX engines recently that run the factory HX60, doesn’t seem to be an issue when a turbo with a better flowing is fitted.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #742
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Looks much like a recurring piston failure seen on some ISX engines recently that run the factory HX60, doesn’t seem to be an issue when a turbo with a better flowing is fitted.
On this type of piston the top part is getting to hot so we moved over to a better all steel piston to support the power we need for endurance performance. We are still going to use the old type piston on our race engines as we have so many in stock and so far we only had one fail so not a very hi priority to chance them all out.

Last edited by tall boy; 10-29-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #743
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
DTR Zandvoort 2017 on Vimeo
Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #744
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last Truck Race Branch Hatch Circuit. The team manage to get a good setting to have the traction needed to max out engine performance. The 13L Scania XPI Euro 5 based engine is all build with stock engine parts except for the engine management system, turbocharger and wastegate. I’m happy to see we run a very strong engine set-up with a bit more low end power even as most of the competitors in class however there is still work to do on hi end performance as missing half a gear to keep the engine within it’s optimal RPM range from 1000 to 2000Rpm so gear ratios needs to be optimised for this engine.

Are there still option improving on engine performance. Well yes looking at the date from the 13L XPI Euro6 based engine we use on the rally trucks we have better hi end performance due to more efficient engine performance but low end power or toque is reduced to reduce stress on the drive train on these rally trucks as they need to last for many rally Km during rallying. Also for the future we hope to gain even more low end power as the are maxing out the still stock hi pressure fuelpump limiting the amount of fuel en fuel makes torque and power. So in all very happy that we could end last race of this year with an excellent performing engine also hoping to contribute to truck related motorsports as we can build these engine relative low cost as for using stock engine parts with a minimal of modifications needed to get this performance.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #745
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Last Truck Race Branch Hatch Circuit. The team manage to get a good setting to have the traction needed to max out engine performance. The 13L Scania XPI Euro 5 based engine is all build with stock engine parts except for the engine management system, turbocharger and wastegate. I’m happy to see we run a very strong engine set-up with a bit more low end power even as most of the competitors in class however there is still work to do on hi end performance as missing half a gear to keep the engine within it’s optimal RPM range from 1000 to 2000Rpm so gear ratios needs to be optimised for this engine.

Are there still option improving on engine performance. Well yes looking at the date from the 13L XPI Euro6 based engine we use on the rally trucks we have better hi end performance due to more efficient engine performance but low end power or toque is reduced to reduce stress on the drive train on these rally trucks as they need to last for many rally Km during rallying. Also for the future we hope to gain even more low end power as the are maxing out the still stock hi pressure fuelpump limiting the amount of fuel en fuel makes torque and power. So in all very happy that we could end last race of this year with an excellent performing engine also hoping to contribute to truck related motorsports as we can build these engine relative low cost as for using stock engine parts with a minimal of modifications needed to get this performance.

Truck Race Branch Hatch Circuit Practice 2017 - YouTube
Truck Race Branch Hatch Circuit Race 2 2017 - YouTube
Truck Race Branch Hatch Circuit Race 3 2017 - YouTube
What is the limit of stock high pressure pump ?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #746
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
What is the limit of stock high pressure pump ?
Why do you need to know this?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #747
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Why do you need to know this?
Because I have Euro6 13 litre non-EGR truck. Turbo is the only part I am willing to change so it would be nice to know limits of other parts.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #748
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Because I have Euro6 13 litre non-EGR truck. Turbo is the only part I am willing to change so it would be nice to know limits of other parts.
We got great replacement turbo for these engines. What kind of power torque are you looking for?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #749
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
We got great replacement turbo for these engines. What kind of power torque are you looking for?
First trying to max out stock turbo, later with bigger turbo maybe 900 hp and 4000 Nm ?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #750
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
First trying to max out stock turbo, later with bigger turbo maybe 900 hp and 4000 Nm ?
Well if you take your time reading my topic you will find some numbers on things and get to know the XPI pump as not being an easy yob on hi flow opening the safety valve on the fuel rail way faster that you would suspect. On how the ECU will handle this I can not comment but sure you will find out with trail and error.

Further more we got injectors for sale that will do over 40% more power/torque making your 450Hp non EGR in to a 630Hp with no modification what so ever to fuel metering. OK you have to kill the SCR as nox will explode among some other settings for ECO crap. These injector will support 1100Hp 5Kn plus EGT under 800C @ relative low boost using our turbo kit that’s a bolt on. Al well tested and proven. Just order look smart. . Would not say it will out perform a 15.6L V8 PD easy as the 12.7L 6 line XPI it’s still a smaller engine but it will make more power @ lower EGT than any PD V8 engine as unable to get the fuel in fast as for a camshaft that dos not support 1000Hp easy having to run relative hi boost to cool things down.

Do you need more info?

If you need a job for a elephant do you start looking for a mouse that will perform the same job?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #751
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well if you take your time reading my topic you will find some numbers on things and get to know the XPI pump as not being an easy yob on hi flow opening the safety valve on the fuel rail way faster that you would suspect. On how the ECU will handle this I can not comment but sure you will find out with trail and error.

Further more we got injectors for sale that will do over 40% more power/torque making your 450Hp non EGR in to a 630Hp with no modification what so ever to fuel metering. OK you have to kill the SCR as nox will explode among some other settings for ECO crap. These injector will support 1100Hp 5Kn plus EGT under 800C @ relative low boost using our turbo kit that’s a bolt on. Al well tested and proven. Just order look smart. . Would not say it will out perform a 15.6L V8 PD easy as the 12.7L 6 line XPI it’s still a smaller engine but it will make more power @ lower EGT than any PD V8 engine as unable to get the fuel in fast as for a camshaft that dos not support 1000Hp easy having to run relative hi boost to cool things down.

Do you need more info?

If you need a job for a elephant do you start looking for a mouse that will perform the same job?
Will that turbo work at 1000 rpm ? My gearing is so fast that I cruise 1100rpm/90km/h
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #752
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Will that turbo work at 1000 rpm ? My gearing is so fast that I cruise 1100rpm/90km/h
to keep the engine within it’s optimal RPM range from 1000 to 2000Rpm so yes and no, why? you need EGT to make power low end on the bigger turbo we use and this you will not have on a dayly drive so we have to drop Hp back to a turbo that supports only 800 to 900Hp having more low end power will be better.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #753
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
I seem to recall 970 horse with a 72sxe turbo?

I'd love to try one on my Detroit but they only come in t4.

Last edited by allan5oh; 11-09-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:04 AM   #754
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I seem to recall 970 horse with a 72sxe turbo?

I'd love to try one on my Detroit but they only come in t4.
Well that depends on the engine used. S472SX-E dos 111 lb/min and on our Commonrail it goes past 1100Hp easy 800c EGT able to run low ARF numbers but on a 60 series 12L with a good set of cams and injectors 950 to 1000Hp as we done on with a similar turbo on a 60 series for UK truck racing. https://www.facebook.com/cmgbintracing/

Yes S472SX-E will have a T4 but there is one 1.10A/R T6 turbine housing that got the material to make it possible to machine to the lager 88/83mm turbine wheel of the S472SX-E. Part number for this will be the 168319 but we never used it as we use the 1.25A/R on race engine even needing a wastegate as well so we use an adaptor plate with a wastegate flange on the side of it and the T4 TH makes it possible due to is small size to fit it easy on most engines.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #755
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well that depends on the engine used. S472SX-E dos 111 lb/min and on our Commonrail it goes past 1100Hp easy 800c EGT able to run low ARF numbers but on a 60 series 12L with a good set of cams and injectors 950 to 1000Hp as we done on with a similar turbo on a 60 series for UK truck racing. https://www.facebook.com/cmgbintracing/

Yes S472SX-E will have a T4 but there is one 1.10A/R T6 turbine housing that got the material to make it possible to machine to the lager 88/83mm turbine wheel of the S472SX-E. Part number for this will be the 168319 but we never used it as we use the 1.25A/R on race engine even needing a wastegate as well so we use an adaptor plate with a wastegate flange on the side of it and the T4 TH makes it possible due to is small size to fit it easy on most engines.
You think 800c EGT is safe for todays engines ? I have always been told 760c continuous.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #756
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You think 800c EGT is safe for todays engines ? I have always been told 760c continuous.
Well what to make of this than? Every engine 760c EGT as for today and what will be tomorrow maybe? Engineering or redneck tuning to find out what will hold or have been told. Bit vague would you say. As for manifold that depend on engine make and type of engine generation.

As for the TH Garrett most recommend 750C EGT max BorgWarner we can run 800C max no problem but @ 850 they will wear down slowly as for deforming and so on.
If it needs to go hi in EGT use the TiAl TH stainless steel but for the cost of just one TH you can almost bay 3 to 4 normal steel TH of most brands so when dos this going to tip the balance on cost?
Old 11-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #757
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Dakar Pre Proloog.

This even is organized so the big crowd can meet all the local rally teams before they go on there way to the Le Dakar rally begin January 2018.

All potential top ten competitors in the Le Dakar Rally.
Dakar Speed Scania XPI

Competitor MKR Renault.

Team De Rooy Iveco.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #758
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
So you recommend I try the 72sxe? What did they do on that other series 60 for the exhaust side? The way I see it there's a few options. 1) machine down that TH you mentioned and add a t6 to t6 flange with wastegate port 2) run the stock t4 TH with a custom t6 to t4 wastegated flange
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #759
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So you recommend I try the 72sxe? What did they do on that other series 60 for the exhaust side? The way I see it there's a few options. 1) machine down that TH you mentioned and add a t6 to t6 flange with wastegate port 2) run the stock t4 TH with a custom t6 to t4 wastegated flange
Run the stock T4 TH with a custom T6 to T4 wastegate flange as this will give you more space for the adaptor plate T6>T4 as the turbine housing is smaller in size so more compact build.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #760
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Buy similar size Garrett or Holset with T6 foot and integrated wastegate.