7.3 help

4x4troy

ok my 88 f250 4x4 7.3 has a very hard time starting for the first time...if it sits more then about 8 hours...sometimes i have to spray starting fluid to get her to fire up. but once she is running it will start fine all day as long as it does not sit to long. what do i need to look at...i am just getting into diesels so...i need help please.

you are getting air in your fuel lines, double check ALL of your fuel line connections, as well as look at the return lines on the injectors, if they're leaking at all then they are also letting air back in when it's not running.

I would say to check the glow plugs if more than 2 of mine quit in my 93 its hard to start in july of the mornin hook a test light to the + and touch the top of the glow plug if it lights its good if not its bad.

napa sells a fuel injector installation kit for for the idi. it comes with all the T return caps that go over all the injectors, o-rings and line that goes between all of them. they can let air bleed in and never see fuel bleed out. the napa part number is "DEM 7135264"

And definitely don't use starting fluid. It'll destroy your motor in the long run. Using WD-40 will work and is less damaging to your internals.

Last edited:
Back