SOOTBANDIT

Hello guys im new to the site bout 30secs old lol. Im also on the TDG.com but was told need to join over hear for more info on the subject im asking bout. So hear goes.

My project that i wanna start is to make a 1st Gen Cummins Puller while using the VE pump. I know at first the it wont be the monster i want it to be due to funds but basically i will have a budget of roughly 7-8 grand to play wit after i purchase the ride. So i would like to know some of your all's set ups if you choose to disclose that info as far as suspension setup to get me started, contacts of people to call to either build a turbo or have one for sale, what size injectors to run. How do i get ahold of a guy named Brian Block i have heard alot of good things bout him heard he is a guru of the VE pump??? My uncle pulls in the Modified Gas classes locally but has never messed wit diesel so im going to go a diff route. In time or if its more bang for the buck now i would do a p-pump conversion on it for more fuel. Its mainly going to be local pulls and some sanction pulls wit IAMO next season and they allow up to a 2.8 turbo. So i quess i will stop there i know i have many more questions and will think of them once time goes by and you all comment on this subject Thanks

Brandon

Do they have any smaller classes than 2.8? With a ve you would def. be better off in a smaller turbo class. Then move to 2.8 when you p-pump it.

First and foremost....unless your a diehard 1st gen guy that wants to push the limits of a VE.......Do the P Pump swap!!!!!

With a budget of 7-8K, youu can build quite a truck for that. IMO go with a benched and tuned 12mm P-Pump, S400 based turbo, good set of injectors and the small things that allow you to run that stuff and you can have a good motor to start with!!

As for chassis, suspension stops in the rear, the stiffest shockes you can find for the front to prevent wheel hop, weight bracket up front, and some ladder/traction bars should get you a long way with setting up the chassis!!

On edit: I like the rules you guys run!!!! Should be able to build something VERY competitive and still stay within the rules!!

Thanks man i was wondering if my budget would make some people laugh as thats what i have to get started and i think it is a good start also.

I have a 2.6 truck with the VE and the II SPS 66 turbo (2.6) is a little too big for me. I snuff it out pulling almost all the time. The turbo doesn't light till about 2,400rpms so there isn't much range for it turning 3,600.

Put blocks on the rear and play with your airpressure on the tires to keep it from bouncing. 60psi Rear and 20 front stopped me from bouncing.

I have a 2.6 truck with the VE and the II SPS 66 turbo (2.6) is a little too big for me. I snuff it out pulling almost all the time. The turbo doesn't light till about 2,400rpms so there isn't much range for it turning 3,600.

Put blocks on the rear and play with your airpressure on the tires to keep it from bouncing. 60psi Rear and 20 front stopped me from bouncing.

So you think a 64mm would do a little better? Thanks for advice for the blocks and tire pressure kinda like trial and error wit pulling i guess..

So if i ran a 64mm, what size of sticks would i be able to run? Also please tell me everything i can do to the ve pump myself to get the most fuel out of it?

I think most 1st gen guys are running 6x16's. And as far the ve....fuel pin and3200 RPM Gov. spring.

M5 Fuel Pin
1/8" timing advance
Fuel Screw turned up how many?
Fass or Air Dog fuel system
3200 Spring
6x16
64mm turbo
Head Studs
M H Inc. - Air Intakes
SBC or Centerforce DD
Hood Stack
3.54 or 4.10 gears
Lincoln Lockers or a diff brand im new to these
31 or 33" tires wide or narrow

Would a cam be worth it? Would i be ok to run no filter since its pulling truck? Does this list sound like a decent start for a weekend brush puller or am i dreaming?

Last edited:
I have a 2.5 ve 1st gen. It does okay, but would do better with more fuel against the p pump and cr guys. In my opinion for the cost of a good set of 6x16 injectors you could find a complete p pump motor. In the end even if it took you another year to be able to afford to get more mods for it you would be better off and money ahead. I'm stuck in the boat now where I kick myself for not doing a p pump swap. Another problem with the VE is they are very rpm limited which will hurt you going down the track, just like it does me.

Definitely 4.10's.
Electric lift pump with 16psi at idle
Timing~ Jump the pump a tooth when you do the KDP
Get a M&H KSB Timing advance
4000rpm spring
Cam
Valve springs
Fuel screw~ How ever man till it runs away or too much EGT's
For a cheap locker, Lincoln weld (AKA Lincoln Locker), or detroit

Hope this helps!

So i can get a 4000rpm spring for the ve pump? Cam wise will the one that DDP offers work well in conjunction with my list or do i need to look else where and if so where is that? How do i stop runaway while im driving besides just turning it off? And i wouldnt need a whole fuel system a raptor lift pump would work fine? Question i know you can weld the spider gears together in the rear can you also do it to the front? Or am i asking for trouble and should just go ahead and spend the coin on lockers? With the mods i have listed where would i roughly be sitting for hp/trq? Will the VE be able to keep up with what i have listed? now where i get a KDP kit?

Back