Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Brake light switch adjustments

I haven't looked, but is there an adjustment. I can feel the brakes apply, but it won't disengage the cruise.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Anyone?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I haven't had to look up under there either....yet. Maybe I'll sneak a smoke and go take a peak for ya. I do have a personal opinion that anything under the dash of any automobile is an enormous PITA.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
No adjustments on the switch. It is just a plunger that is depressed by a bracket. A person could put some tape around the bracket and increase the travel a mil at a time, but if it turns your brake lights on, it should cancel cruise too. Check and see if you have brake lights. If you do, it might be a reflash and be a computer problem.

The boss just found his bathroom carpet wet and now mine is too so off for a wild goosechase.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
No adjustments on the switch. It is just a plunger that is depressed by a bracket. A person could put some tape around the bracket and increase the travel a mil at a time, but if it turns your brake lights on, it should cancel cruise too. Check and see if you have brake lights. If you do, it might be a reflash and be a computer problem.

The boss just found his bathroom carpet wet and now mine is too so off for a wild goosechase.
It isn't activating the switch soon enough. As I can tell on my brake controller as well. Wonder if I can pull the switch, and drill and tap the plunger for an adjustment stop? If I can't drill and tap, just drill and a small rod in there and use it.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Did you tell him you just missed?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Twasn't I. I'd better not have to dissassembly my desk for sheetrock removal. I'm gonna be mad!

The switch looks like a pretty decent quality item compared to some older ones uses. Try shimmin the bracket up with some tape and see if you can make it work. If you can make it work with $.25 worth of tape. If that works, take the switch apart and see if there is an internal problem. If you break it and can't get it back together, you need to buy a new one anyway. I don't know the stregth of that material, but you could try to take a few degrees off the bracket as it is just a 90 deg bend as well.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 08-08-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
In my way of thinking that is a safety issue. Check for a recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
^^^ Yip.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Not sure if this would be causing your issue or not, but... I had my brake lights staying on on the truck after it had been sitting for a while. The brakes were not on, but it also would not let me set the cruise. My brake controller went bad, as soon as I unplugged it they went out and everything worked properly after that. Went out and bought a new controller and have not had an issue to date. Just food for thought.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
Not sure if this would be causing your issue or not, but... I had my brake lights staying on on the truck after it had been sitting for a while. The brakes were not on, but it also would not let me set the cruise. My brake controller went bad, as soon as I unplugged it they went out and everything worked properly after that. Went out and bought a new controller and have not had an issue to date. Just food for thought.

Thanks, pretty sure it is switch related. I mean I can feel the brakes slightly drag, just not seeing the switch activate on my brake controller as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
Gotlift01

Name: Gotlift01
Title: Captain Insano
Member`s Gallery
I'm having an issue on my dad's '08. The brake lights wont come on unless you mash on the pedal. Thought it was the brake light switch ( $11.00 at Autozone ), but the new one was even worse. I messed around under there for awhile and I think the problem is in the harness that the switch plugs into. If you barely slide the plug onto the switch, the brake lights work great, but if you slide it down to clip it in, they don't work for crap. Wiggling the wires on the harness while its plugged in also makes the lights come and go.

The cruise control acts similar to what you were describing. You can feel the brakes on, but the cruise wont disengage until you mash on the pedal to get the lights to come on.

Last edited by Gotlift01; 08-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I wonder if the switch has multiple poles. One set for brakes and another for cruise. Are there just two wires on the harness?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wonder if the switch has multiple poles. One set for brakes and another for cruise. Are there just two wires on the harness?

The issue is that if I remember correctly the brake controller is slow to respond as well. Which tells me that even if it is a multiple pole switch that it just isn't activating the contacts. I like the idea of a little electrical tape.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
I never thought people would actually put an Autozone part on their 50,000 dollar investment! Talk about stumbling over dollars to save a dime!

Quote:
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
lcaad1249

Name: lcaad1249
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I went to rockauto and got a new brake pedal switch for my 04.5 (I'm assuming its the same). According to the installation instructions it can only be adjusted once. Mine was only about $8.

1999 Ram 2500, DPE P-pump, 7x.014, Ported head, 14mm studs, Fireringed, Full Billet HTS

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
I never thought people would actually put an Autozone part on their 50,000 dollar investment! Talk about stumbling over dollars to save a dime!
Are you chittin' me Private Pyle? Not that I use Autozone's crap, but I'll put a $2 part on where I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaad1249 View Post
I went to rockauto and got a new brake pedal switch for my 04.5 (I'm assuming its the same). According to the installation instructions it can only be adjusted once. Mine was only about $8.
I didn't see any adjustement unless the plunger in the switch is set so that the first time you let the pedal go it adjusts itself.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
I'm not chittin anyone! I save money at the grocery store!

Quote:

Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Gotlift01

Name: Gotlift01
Title: Captain Insano
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
I fail to see the problem. I spent $11 bucks to find out that it's not the switch after all. Should I have spent $60 bucks on a "factory" one? End result would have been the same only less money in my pocket.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
lcaad1249

Name: lcaad1249
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I didn't see any adjustement unless the plunger in the switch is set so that the first time you let the pedal go it adjusts itself.
There's a lever on the side pointing at the driver that is rotated 90 degrees upon initial install but the instructions said repetedly that it could only be adjusted once.

Part number is an SLS237 and is the same between 99-09 Ram's

1999 Ram 2500, DPE P-pump, 7x.014, Ported head, 14mm studs, Fireringed, Full Billet HTS

Closed Thread