Cam Wear Pics

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I pulled my cam and was looking it over and noticed it looked like it was not fully broke in. It has like 3K miles on it, no more than 5K miles. I don't know if you can see in the pics but the tips of the lobes are shiney and the rest is dull like it was when I installed at the beginning of the year. On one lobe only it has sparse and very little tiny specks of silver, only on one lobe. I have been running extra Zinc additive with it to. The Cam is a Colt Stg. 3. thanks for looking and giving your thoughts on the thread.

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that's normal and it looks like the zinc is doing a good job of keeping wear down to a minimum.

long as the tappets look good man I would say KEEP using the zinc, less friction less wear longer life. You can still see the machine marks in it on return side wow. are you running stock springs or aftermarket

Last edited:
I was wondering about what all needs to be changed when you put a new cam in?

Someome told me once that when you swap cams you didnt need to change anything. Then I was told that I need to change lifter, now the lastest that I have been told is that I need to change lifter and springs. I would say at the very least that you should at least change the lifter, althought I think that most of the dealer are going to tell you to run springs with their cams.

I am running hamilton 110 springs and HD pushrods. I was thinking the same thing that it hadn't broke in all the way. I did install new reground tappets with this cam.

Looks normal for a low-mileage cam... splotchy coating & all.
Gonna take awhile for the whole lobe to burnish in - can still see moly dingleberries hanging on... yuk (that's why we use assembly lube).

Lifters are fine to reuse when their faces are good; 24V springs work well with drop-in cams - although we shot-peen, cryo & HPC them as an economic alternative to aftermarket.

Pushtubes makes sense with aggressive ramps & higher seat pressures.

Back