47RH/47RE Info/Do it yourself thread

I started rebuildin my 47RH trans.
I totally toasted my direct clutches and overdrive clutches :doh:
img2126450.jpg

img2160476.jpg

i do have a question for you all...

How much clearance between last steel and overdrive piston thrust plate.
.110 ??

Last edited:
Some photos of my rebuild............

Intermediate shaft and planetary gears:

img3107538.jpg

Sonnax one-piece input shaft:

img3107540.jpg

forward clutch pack ( 5 disk ) :
img3107541.jpg

Direct clutch pack ( 6 disk )
img3107542.jpg

New oil pump hardened gears:

img3107544.jpg

Pump bushing:

img3107547.jpg

img3107548.jpg

Overdrive unit:

10 direct clutches and 6 brake clutches:

img3107546.jpg

Oil pump:

img3107543.jpg

....New rear band and billet servos and accumalator piston:

img3107539.jpg

I will reuse my Pro Torque super single billet converter:

img3107545.jpg

Awesome thread guys. I've been asking guys here and there about building my own billet 47re for my 08 dodge. Every single time. NOOOOO. Starting to piss me off. This is just what I needed to stay up beat about it. Thanks.

Now all I have to do is read all of it. WOW@!

So I am looking at converting my 04 commonrail to an auto. I have access to a 47rh out of a 94. I would prefer to not have to install a manual valvebody. Anyone have any threads or sites on whats required to operate a 47rh? Or would i be better off finding a 48re and some sort of standalone controller?

So I am looking at converting my 04 commonrail to an auto. I have access to a 47rh out of a 94. I would prefer to not have to install a manual valvebody. Anyone have any threads or sites on whats required to operate a 47rh? Or would i be better off finding a 48re and some sort of standalone controller?

OD and Lockup is what you would need to control electronically. I believe you can get a controller to do both of those things.

A 47rh needs nothing hooked up to function/shift gears 1 thru 3.

There is a three pin connector for lock-up and overdrive. 12v goes to the center pin, front pin is the ground lead to the overdrive solenoid, simply ground it and the tranny will shift to overdrive. Rear pin is the ground lead for the lock-up solenoid, simply ground it and the tranny will lock the torque converter.

If you want smooth part throttle shifts, you need to connect the TV lever and run a cable up to the throttle linkage. If you don't mind firm-banging shifts at 2600 rpm every time, wire the TV lever in the full throttle position and don't use a TV-cable.

I've got a 47re that I'm buying. Should have it in a couple of weeks. it is supposed to have been rebuilt 2500 miles ago. If everything looks good inside, and its completely a stock rebuild. What would you guys recommend I change in order to put it behind 500-600 hp. I'm building a 6.7 cummins, around 450 rght now. Within a year I should be around 550-600. I plan on doing the tranny instages as well. *Don't have all empty pockets*

The set up I'm looking for is with a manual vb and a ratchet shifter. I've read this entire thread and all the links. By the way. Thank you. For the guys that want to do this on their own, you guys are in-valuable. So thumbsup and the first rounds on me if we ever meet at a meet.

I've called Goerend, and suncoast. Didn't realize that most of the parts they are just vendors for. So is there a better place to source out sonnex shafts, etc...

And are there any tricks that I should do 1st time out. I'm probably gonna leave the stock intermediate, drum, flex plate for now. Planning on billet input and output. Any recommendations on vb and tc. This is going to be a drag/street truck for the next 2 years. Track will be hit every other weekend at the most. Probably attend 10-15 races a year during that 2 year period. (Local track pays 500-5000 for bracket races every other weekend) So its gonna see some time at the track. I've yet to be able to kill my stock 68rfe w/126k miles on it???? 10-15 psi boosted launches and the damn thing is just smiling back. But I know its just a matter of time.

I don't mind pulling the tranny a bunch. I realize this is gonna be a learning process. Have other veh's I can drive. Access to a lift, small milling machine, have rebuilt a diesel auto before. (94 ford). So other than good luck. What would you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance. *Oh and its a 4x4 SBQC*

A 47rh needs nothing hooked up to function/shift gears 1 thru 3.

There is a three pin connector for lock-up and overdrive. 12v goes to the center pin, front pin is the ground lead to the overdrive solenoid, simply ground it and the tranny will shift to overdrive. Rear pin is the ground lead for the lock-up solenoid, simply ground it and the tranny will lock the torque converter.

If you want smooth part throttle shifts, you need to connect the TV lever and run a cable up to the throttle linkage. If you don't mind firm-banging shifts at 2600 rpm every time, wire the TV lever in the full throttle position and don't use a TV-cable.

This is exactly what i was looking for :thankyou2:. It looks as the 04 has a throttle cable running into a box like my 01 has. I will just buy a 47re tv cable and either make it fit my box or get one from an auto. I also found a kit to control od and lockup: PATC 727 to 518 Deluxe Conversion Kit at Dodge 727 Transmission Swap to 518 Transmission from PATC, 46RE 47RE 48RE

I did a NV4500 to 47re swap, I used the transgo tfod-3 manual valve body kit. I'm having a 3rd gear bindup, I tried calling transgo but wow their tech guy is a @sshole and started yelling at me when i told him their instructions suck, Do I need to back the front band out a little? I wired the TV arm wot, any issues with this for a DD?

I did a NV4500 to 47re swap, I used the transgo tfod-3 manual valve body kit. I'm having a 3rd gear bindup, I tried calling transgo but wow their tech guy is a @sshole and started yelling at me when i told him their instructions suck, Do I need to back the front band out a little? I wired the TV arm wot, any issues with this for a DD?

Their instructions are better then most and i would be ticked if you started off with "you suck".

What is the front band adjusted to? How many turns did you go in on the PR screw?

The 47re i built with a full manual vb shifts WAY too hard to even think about wiring the TV cable wide open.

Last edited:

yes unwire the TV arm and just take a cruise around the block with it just floppin, then wire it to about half. I would get a weird delay in shifts if i had mine wired full throttle. I have a tv cable now and it helps the shifts quite a bit. Double check your band adjustment too.

Haha, no I told him that after he was telling me i shouldnt have put that in a diesel. Mine doesnt shift hard at all only on downshifts, my front band is adjusted to 72 ft lbs and backed off 1 7/8 turns, PR screw is backed off 5 turns. I pulled the check ball to firm up the 1-2 shift.
80 psi line pressure at the accumulator with tv cable unhooked
150psi line pressure wired wot
Also it feels like a really have to floor it to get going in 1st gear.

Haha, no I told him that after he was telling me i shouldnt have put that in a diesel. Mine doesnt shift hard at all only on downshifts, my front band is adjusted to 72 ft lbs and backed off 1 7/8 turns, PR screw is backed off 5 turns. I pulled the check ball to firm up the 1-2 shift.
80 psi line pressure at the accumulator with tv cable unhooked
150psi line pressure wired wot
Also it feels like a really have to floor it to get going in 1st gear.

inch pounds!!!! not foot pounds

Back