Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #1281
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
I pulled the injectors yesterday and stuck my scope into each cylinders and watched as each piston moved up and down as I barred it over. It all looked great. So I started putting it back together yesterday evening. I triple checked the injection pump timing before closing it up.

Had to stop and put a carrier bearing in my dually and found the trans seal was leaking too, so after 3 trips in town yesterday, had to wait a day for the right trans seal to get in. I finished putting the truck back together this morning along with the dually.

Bled the injectors, and it fired almost right up. Sounded and ran much better than before the race. Was easy to start. BUTTTTTTT found the head gasket was blown on the front of the head. So, guess I'm ordering a new HG and fire rings for it monday and hope Haisley has them in stock when I call monday morning to order it and I make the cut this time when they ship.... Didn't last time and had to scramble to find a head gasket.

Not a very good pick of the scope screen viewing a piston...
Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 05-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #1282
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
So you still have no idea why it stopped running, but it is running now?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #1283
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, after pulling the head.... found 6 melted pistons around the edge. So I'm betting that had something to do with it. Guess I'm building a new engine now. Anyone have the winning lottery ticket numbers for Weds' powerball?

I'm guessing the timing was off when I put it on, my fault for not double checking it, combined with the .90 housing on the turbo and the fuel from the 13mm pump, that's what did it in. As to why I couldn't get it to restart, I don't have a clue.

Will start pulling the engine tomorrow night when I get home from work and making some phone calls tomorrow to start figuring out parts and how I'm going to swing an engine rebuild at the first of the season. Not looking realistic to make the first points race in 3 weeks now.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #1284
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
why I couldn't get it to restart, I don't have a clue
I didn't look back to see if you did a compression check. The first time we blew ours up, Will Terry nailed the problem. We had tiny pieces of material holding the valves open just a little bit. I lapped the valves in, filed on the pistons, honed, installed new rings and pistons where necessary, thing ran fine. Didn't mind beating on it a little harder after that. lol

Quote:
Guess I'm building a new engine now
Maybe just a set of pistons 'eh?? What pistons are you running??

Last edited by Bodacious; 05-14-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #1285
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I'm running machined down pistons because I'm using .80 longer rods for a 19:1 CR

No, I didn't do a compression check, rings are all intact from what I can tell so far by just looking at them from the top. Might be broken though.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #1286
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Sent some emails and made a few calls today and have come up with my game plan. I'm going to be building myself a new engine long term, but to get through the next few weeks of races in June, going to find a set of std bore marine pistons, and put them in the engine and run it while I'm getting work done on a second block and crank. Once it's ready, we will pull my engine and swap all the needed parts over to the new block setup.

I'm moving from my s475 with 87mm hot side to an s480 with 96mm hot side and a 1.1 ar.

Will post more up about the new engine plans as I get them finalized and move forward on it.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #1287
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm moving from my s475 with 87mm hot side to an s480 with 96mm hot side and a 1.1 ar.
Just curious why you selected the 96mm exhaust wheel? We have always ran the 87mm. Harder to spool for sure but more air up top.

Sounds like a good plan you've put together. At least you will hopefully get to race more.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #1288
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
need more air up top, that's what caused the melt down... talked to phil a little bit today on my converter, he thinks it's loose enough to handle the 96mm, if not, will ship it to him to get loosened up more when we drop the new motor into the truck.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #1289
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Put the engine on my stand last night and pulled the pistons. They are pretty ate up. Should have some new ones machined in a few days to drop back into it. Just going to do a hone job on the cylinders to clean them up as much as I can before putting them back together. If I was building it for long term, it would be bored out, but this is just going together to hopefully get through 3 races and then I will be getting my new engine together, then this one will be torn down and bored with the rods going back to CP for them to inspect.

The new pistons and rods for my engine are about 6 weeks out, so I'm picking up a 2nd block and getting the machine work done on it to bore it out and bore out the cam journals to run a billet steel cam.

Today I received the new head gasket and fire rings and my huge order from Altronics with all the sensors I ordered. Going to spend the next few days getting bungs welded in and wires routed while I'm waiting on parts. Also have a new turbo on the way.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #1290
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do you remember what your piston to cylinder clearance was?

Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #1291
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
No, I didn't put the engine together originally.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #1292
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
While waiting on my pistons to get done, spent a bit out in the shop today and pulled the pipes off the intercooler so I can drill the holes and weld in the bungs for the air temp thermocouple on the hot side and the pressure and temp for the cool side.

How do most people rig up the a pressure port on the exhaust manifold? cooper line for a while and then the gauge or sensor?

Should have the last couple of weld in bungs I need monday along with the ball hone I ordered to hit the cylinders with before going back together.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #1293
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Think some /most put a particulate filter after the copper coil before going into hosing to the gauge.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 05-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #1294
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
We coiled a couple feet of copper up and then switched to plastic. We didn't run a filter and it worked for a while.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #1295
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
So will steel wool work stuffed into copper tubing work as a particulate filter?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #1296
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
JGS carries a particulate trap, I don't think its that expensive. He was a vendor on here.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #1297
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
While I'm thinking about it, any recommendations on an air filter? I keep sucking this big AFE one in....

Old 05-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #1298
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Member`s Gallery
I'm pretty fond of our air filters!!! They have a nice outer shell that keeps them from getting smashed, flow a ton, and are dry-flow so easily cleanable with compressed air.

We've tested these quite a bit with large turbo setups, even the big Gen 2 GTX5533 98mm chargers Todd runs on his truck haven't had an issue collapsing them and they consume as much or more airflow than almost every other turbo out there, I think 230 lbs per minute is the peak flow, about double what a Borg S475 flows.

https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produc...-5-inlet-copy/
OEM 12v Block

Last edited by Big Blue24; 05-22-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #1299
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Member`s Gallery
Here's a video testing our new filter vs. the AFE 6" inlet, 9" Tall w/inverted top that I've been running for years on the Junker.

OEM 12v Block

Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #1300
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
That's an interesting filter, didn't know you sold them. It's gotta be better than the AFE's I've been using, found the largest one I could get from them. Do you have the 11.5" ones in stock?

Should have the pistons and rings by weds or thurs this week hopefully so I can start putting the engine back together this weekend and get it into the truck. Going to work on sensor installation tomorrow night now that I have the bungs in. Need to see if I can find out if my cousin can tig the aluminum one in for me since I still haven't bought a bottle of argon to try out my spool gun.

Planted 2 more apple trees tonight and 2 more peach trees, since lowes had them 1/2 off and with my veterans discount, made a good deal.

Starting to get a nice little orchard going. 4 apples trees, 4 peach trees, 2 cherry trees, 2 plum trees, 2 pear trees and 9 pecan trees in the back yard.

Garden is doing awesome as well.

Closed Thread