What failed 48re?

dangerous06

diesel tech
Built tranny about 5 years of torture has a lock up switch. Got it really hot pulling a heavy load up hill. Burned the fluid badly Drained and filled no chunks in the pan but I think the discs may be worn out after all those years. The lock up switch no longer works but it is grounded properly and no issues found in wiring. Grounded wire under truck at the plug in after the resistor and nothing so what failed? I find it hard to believe the TQ is shot but what do you think. Something simple like the Lock up Soleniod shot? OR?
Thanks for the opinions!

So with that burnt up can I still drive it with a load or will it just get super hot fast? Asking because I have to go on a tow tomorrow!

OK took it for a ride and runs about the same except take off is a little slower and tranny temp climbs a lot faster. Do you think I can tow one more time with it? So only thing I don't have is lock up!?

Most likely a burned converter and direct clutches.

Like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
Most likely a burned converter and direct clutches.

Like this

YIKES I hope it doesn't look that bad! I am running a Goerend constant pressure VB that should help the clutches hold better! I'm leaning towards the TQ myself. I have a low stall TQ New from Goerend just haven't run it due to what I tow sometimes =20k plus. Think it would work or just sit and smoke off the line?

Just because your running a constant VB does not negate the possibility. The converter is 90% of your heat generation, the converter has clutches and plates too. What do you think happens when the rest of the trash makes its way into the rest of the tranny.

What I'm getting at is there is a reason something failed in the tranny find out what and check the rest.

Reagan once said "trust but verify."

It could be as simple as your lockup solenoid, get out your manual and do some pressure tests, does it go into overdrive ? those solenoids do fail.

Last edited:
Yeah it goes into overdrive fine. I have a inline filter that catches everything coming out of the tranny! Oil is always clean even on the tranny I blew up! Oil was crystal clear! Filter was damn heavy though! LOL I'm holding 160 at all times!

Last edited:
Dave Goerend walked me through diagnosing a lock up issue I had. First, you'll need a helper and to raise the rear wheels off the ground. Have your helper bring the truck to 50 mph or where ever you want the converter to lock. In the meantime you squeeze the rubber part of the trans cooler line and when it tries to go into lockup, the hose will get noticably harder from the increased pressure. You can either let the ecm make it go into lockup or you can turn the switch on yourself since you mentioned you had a lock up switch but be sure to be squeezing the hose before it goes into lockup so you can feel the difference. If you can feel a difference then you know that electrically and hydraulically it's working and you'll know it needs a converter.

Dave Goerend walked me through diagnosing a lock up issue I had. First, you'll need a helper and to raise the rear wheels off the ground. Have your helper bring the truck to 50 mph or where ever you want the converter to lock. In the meantime you squeeze the rubber part of the trans cooler line and when it tries to go into lockup, the hose will get noticably harder from the increased pressure. You can either let the ecm make it go into lockup or you can turn the switch on yourself since you mentioned you had a lock up switch but be sure to be squeezing the hose before it goes into lockup so you can feel the difference. If you can feel a difference then you know that electrically and hydraulically it's working and you'll know it needs a converter.

That's a great and super quick idea/way to check it. Thanks for the info!

After five years of towing the clutches gave up no material left! Totally happy with the life this tranny gave. New one is in with a new TQ! Extra clutches in the direct pack I think really made it last! and the inline filter was a good investment even when it failed it caught all the crap and kept the fluid clean! Even the magnet was clean!

After five years of towing the clutches gave up no material left! Totally happy with the life this tranny gave. New one is in with a new TQ! Extra clutches in the direct pack I think really made it last! and the inline filter was a good investment even when it failed it caught all the crap and kept the fluid clean! Even the magnet was clean!

Not what I wanted to hear! I have the same problem with a new trans with 1000 miles on it. I lost lockup, changed VB, and still no lockup.

Back