178/208

Sidious

Yes, I live in a shop bay
In a previous thread you mentioned how quick this cam spools turbos, but that it got soft above 2500 RPM's, but that a newer LSA fixed that problem. Can you elaborate on that statement?

I'm doing a rebuild on the motor in the truck in my sig, and making some changes. The 64 is getting changed for a 62, the 5x18's for 16's. I'm thinking this cam might be a good match. The cam I have would require flycuts, and shortblock is already assembled. Looking for quick spool as this truck will be a fun to drive street truck/tow rig for a Jeep. Not a DD, won't see over 3500 RPM's very often, but will see 3500 often.

Yes, our earlier versions(105.5LSA) had the intake advanced a few degrees which allowed the intake to close a little sooner after BDC. This trapped a lot of air in the lower RPM but did not fully allow the cylinder to fill in the higher rpm.

Our new version on a 110LSA retarded the intake a few degree which allows less overlap and also allows the engine to breathe better above 2500 rpm. We also advance the exhaust a few degrees which allows a higher pressure pulse to hit the turbine wheel which allows the turbo to come on a bit quicker and realize a bit more boost. Even with this minor changes for better power above 2500 rpm, it still is the best spooling cam we have and makes the best low rpm torque out of any of our cams.

How does this cam work with a ported head?... if the goal was the same as the OP: quick spool, low RPM torque, etc.

Even better with a ported head. Rpm dictates duration, duration dictates lift limits, all of which are pushed with our designs. Typically with two identical trucks, if one has a much better head, you will cheat down one size on cam. 178-208 is the smallest we sell and will do really well on a moderately ported head. It will not do as well on a head that is ported to flow at .700" and beyond because without a 2.413:1 ratio you will never get there.

Back