Billet shafts

The big thing that kills billet intermediates seems to be heavy towing locked up. The factory intermediate allows some flex. The billet seems to fatigue.

agreed.. when i built mine i talked this over with dave and he told me that the stock intermdediate shaft isn't strong but for a daily driver your better off with a stock intermediated..

My shafts are cryo'd but im not making 600hp. I plan on it tho. When i got them cryo'd the guy said he did a set for a commonrail thats nearly 600hp and he has good luck with them.

im running about 550 hp and i have roughly 7400mi on my stock tranny and ive yet to have any problems but i know i will shortly so thats why i was askin

Wow,
So your stock transmission is holding a Edge Comp and 200HP Fireball Injectors?

235 rated HP + 120 for Edge + 200 HP Injectors = stock transmission and 550hp

Hm, I never thought leaving the intermediate alone so it can flex... Makes sense though.

farmcummins, do you have and aftermarket converter atleast?

No im running a smarty with a ts mvp with 100 hp injectors and a few other little things.

A stock tranny holding anything over stock power is impressive.... I'll give you that.... but I hate to burst your bubble, your truck is no where near 550 rear wheel horsepower.

With 100 hp injectors and non-wire-tap fueling module, your maximum practical horsepower limit is 350-400 at the rear wheels.

If you want an estimate on rear wheel power, roll it on a dyno or go to the drag strip. If you think you have 550 HP, you should easily hit more than 104 mph.

Keeping the transmission cool is the number one thing. I don't care how built your tranny is and you beat the thing to death and get it hot you are gonna break everything.
You will have more heat related failures than anything.

I must be lucky then.... My truck has had a built tranny without a deep pan for 5 years and I have not had a single issue due to heat.... I broke an output shaft, but that is due to me acting like a moron... Maybe I should get an extra deep moron pan?

Back