Best programmer

<3mycummins

Hey my dad has an 01 24 valve and we were interested in what programmer would give us the most hp and best gas mileage at the same time. We've seen tons of different programmers but in your opinion what is the best for a truck that only has a lift pump and no plans to make big hp numbers. Thank you..

edge comp box hands down

X2 i had a smarty stacked with my edge and ended up just sellin the smarty. i love my smarty on my 3rd gen but for any 24v 2nd gen truck all you really need is a comp box, best thing to start with especially if your just starting to build your truck..$.02

My dad is in the same situation as the OP. I've had my PSD for 8 years now and i don't know a lot about the 5.9. I was reading bits and pieces about the EDGE going to crap over the last few years..
Is that really the case?
I have the CTS and if you have the whole edge set up you can program to defuel dependant upon EGTS so that seems like something great if you tow a lot.
I was telling my dad about the smarty but are there other issues w/ the 02 5.9 besides the lift pump that have to be tackled?

Not going for big HP numbers? So I assume stock trans/clutch? If so I wouldn't go more than an Edge EZ, or Comp with no wire tap. Smarty will fry stock converter/clutch... But for a programmer it is the best...

Edge Comp, but a Drag comp if you can get one. They go for around 400 give or take 50 bucks. Sometimes you can find a good deal for about 300. I think I paid 325 for mine and that was 5 years ago!

Since you said "programmer", I'll say Smarty. The Smarty isn't about HP, max you will see is 60. It is about response, it makes things fire faster and it does have some nice features.....but, I sold mine and am very happy with my Drag Comp.

The thing I hated most about the Smarty? No on the fly adjustability.

Back