New Clutch Squeals

dieselpolaris

Just installed my new south bend dd with sintered iron disks. Has a squeal whenever it is engaged like when u are leaving a stop sign. Is this just normal due to the sintered iron disks? Any input appreciated. Thanks

Hope I dont have that problem!! Just ordered the same style clutch last week. They told me that it takes a while to seat the clutch since it has so much surface area to break in.

The tech told me to install mine and run it through the gears normally then do a good controlled burn out then go through the gears and repeat a few times. He told me its not like breaking in a regular clutch or dual disk for that matter. He told me this clutch likes heat and after 400 miles of normal break in it would just slip still. Thats why he told me to do that style break in.

good luck

Allright guys. dont listen to all the magic hooplah with clutch break in. We have 5 sintered iron clutches in our trucks and everyone of them squealls all the time. After a hard slip, they will get quiet for awhile but it will come back. I put my triple disc sintered iron in and headed straight to the pull. the only break in is loading it on the trailer. Non of ours ever get any break in time. They just say that stuff to cover their butts. Sintered iron will squeak but will handle more slipping than the ceramic material will.

I have a 3850 Sintered iron in my truck, it sqeeled like mad when I first installed it. Then I broke a lever on my pressure plate, installed a new PP. Since I changed the PP, it doesn't squeel a bit. My brother has one in his truck, it sqeels like crazy when taking off. It really depends on how they set up the PP.

controlled burn out:nail:

Yea thats how you should break all clutches in:hehe:

SBC FTW

My valair sintered iron made a little noise on take off til I pulled it. But like stated, it comes back after a little while. You'll get used to it after time

Just installed my Valair single disk full ceramic. It does the same thing. A bark like squeal on take off in second and hard up or down shifts into third.

Back