Borg Warner 13 56

RJM06590

What to do
This is the stocker that came in my truck, I couldn't find much info on it, such as ratio or what it can hold. From what I hear the off road guys like them a lot, but I haven't found much on pullers using them. Anyone know anything?

Look again, there's one that gives you gear ratios etc. As far as weather or not the 1356 holds up, here's a hint...the 1356's break behind a stock PowerStroke, yours is the first I've heard of one behind a Cummins. 2.69 vs. 2.72? I'll take 2.72.

lol i know of 2 local to me behind cummins. there are alot of 5spd powerstroke pullers using them as thats factory. i am lucky enough to have a 4407 since mines a 96 auto.

they are far from junk, as far as how strong they are.. i beleive the first ever fummins has one in it, i also beleive that his truck was the first to break a 1000hp on a dyno, Richard Maddog, and as the Diesel Power stated, all this power is routed through the bone stock borg warner 1356. Ive had a lot of trucks with the 1356 with no problems, ive had way more problems with the legendary NP205, they are junk in my book!

Thanks for the response everyone. LReiff i had a feeling it didn't have as much drop as the other transfer cases because I can't run in fourth low with my 35s. I just got a set of 33 Baja claws to try out.

0.03:1...... your def going to notice a HUGE difference there:bang. there is less than a MPH difference, around .75 faster, ive had both the 1356 and the NP241 apart, the 1356 is physically larger, but both have decent components, niether one is manufactured by Fisher Price, the NP271's and 273's in the third gen dodges, and superduty are huge, and ive seen more damaged cases than either of the other ones. the Dmaxs are tiny and you rarley ever see them break, so who knows, they're all good untill they snap.

Everyone that runs gas trucks says there about as strong as a 208 maybe a touch better. The 205 is definately stronger but it has something like a 1.96:1 ratio i think. Everything that i have heard says that the 271 273's are pretty equal to a 205 strength wise and have the lower gear. It is not a bad transfer case but not a great one. When did they start using the 4407's? is that a borg warner too? The other thing about the 1356 is it has a magnesium case of some sort so if you crack it it is hard to find someone to weld it up. Most of the info i have heard is from guys that run in the mud. 460ford.com 4x4 and pullers and other hd rides forum has a lot of good info on stuff like that but not many of them have info or experience on the newer transfer cases.

yeah it seems like the 4x4 guys love them. Hahaha yeah I don't see .03 making a dif now that I think of it.

Look again, there's one that gives you gear ratios etc. As far as weather or not the 1356 holds up, here's a hint...the 1356's break behind a stock PowerStroke, yours is the first I've heard of one behind a Cummins. 2.69 vs. 2.72? I'll take 2.72.

maddog ran on however he only drag raced and dyno no pullin that i am aware of but i do wonder which is stronger a BW1356 or a NV241dld what do u think?

Back