Slightly Overworked hitch breaks in Shelbyville

Sad thing is in the ppl general rules it says all classes above 7500lbs must meet the following requirement: Drawbar must be a minimum of 2 square inches total material at any point. This will include are or the pin removed; pin will be 15/16 minimum. Must be a steel draw bar not more then 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 square stock, nor less then 1-1/4by 1-1/4

I was parked next to them at schieds i never looked at there hitch and but talked to them a little about it and what all broke.

I for see some rule changes coming if hitches are breaking like this

considering most 3/4 ton trucks off the lot have 2.5" receivers, why are we stuck in ancient history?

considering most 3/4 ton trucks off the lot have 2.5" receivers, why are we stuck in ancient history?

Most trucks beyond street class arnt using receivers. Mostly chassis integrated hitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most trucks beyond street class arnt using receivers. Mostly chassis integrated hitches

Correct. I was more referencing the 1.5 x 1.5 square stock comment, as factory trucks use square stock larger that that for road use shanks.

How about having brakes on the trucks that actually stop

That's a nobel idea! Seems like a driveline brake like had in the old wheat trucks would be a good candidate. It would work no matter what the rest of the truck was doing. The only concern would be the drum would have to be balanced pretty well to handle the RPMs of the driveline. I doubt an old C70 ever got near these speeds, but I'm pretty ignorant to the actual speed of the drivelines at these ground speeds while pulling a sled.

Last edited:
That's a nobel idea! Seems like a driveline brake like had in the old wheat trucks would be a good candidate. It would work no matter what the rest of the truck was doing. The only concern would be the drum would have to be balanced pretty well to handle the RPMs of the driveline. I doubt an old C70 ever got near these speeds, but I'm pretty ignorant to the actual speed of the drivelines at these ground speeds while pulling a sled.

We run a dual caliper setup off the Dropbox
Adds 20 lbs and a small package
We mainly added them because we run automatics and wanted a tighter stall converter and couldn’t hold it back enough with just front braking
They stop better than a factory vehicle

I think everyone’s making these dainty little hitches that are just a back plate to the frame.

Make Drawbars Great Again!

I think the old rule read something like A solid 3/4 bar that went trough an eyelet on either side of the frame.

It’s what the the huge hoop frame hitches should be using as the fulcrum connection. I have yet to see one of those come apart.

Sad thing is in the ppl general rules it says all classes above 7500lbs must meet the following requirement: Drawbar must be a minimum of 2 square inches total material at any point. This will include are or the pin removed; pin will be 15/16 minimum. Must be a steel draw bar not more then 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 square stock, nor less then 1-1/4by 1-1/4

I was parked next to them at schieds i never looked at there hitch and but talked to them a little about it and what all broke.

I for see some rule changes coming if hitches are breaking like this

NTPA also has square inch rules, for obvious reasons. I'm not calling anyone out and have not seen any of these broken hitches myself but I know for darn sure I've never been even remotely teched to that degree.....

Back