Started new to me engine, white smoke?

thisguy65

Hey guys, got a new to me engine from a diesel performance shop that came out of a bus. Got it started last night and I had a little trouble clearing out the lines (first time ever doing this or having a cummins). Long story short during cranking the motor would puff white smoke out. When it finally hit and ran it let out white smoke and then seem to clear up. Nothing is wrong with the engine but in the gas world white smoke = headgasket. Unburnt fuel was black. With injectors puddling diesel in the bowl of the pistons will cause this or a bad injector. Why is the smoke more white/gray than black?

Hot rod build...Cummins 12v started!!! - YouTube

Last edited:
white/gray is improper fuel injection timing. so very advanced, very retarded (slipped timing) leaky injector or most likely in your case an engine that sat for awhile, maybe on its side and had some engine oil or a little extra fuel in the cylinders when it first fired.

smoke probably burned your eyes instead of smelled sweet right?

white/gray is improper fuel injection timing. so very advanced, very retarded (slipped timing) leaky injector or most likely in your case an engine that sat for awhile, maybe on its side and had some engine oil or a little extra fuel in the cylinders when it first fired.

The motor was stored on a stand. Didn't smell sweet and the haze cleared up. I wouldn't say it burned but my eyes were starting to water after a bit. Oil pressure is 60psi.

I'm thinking it's possibly from cranking and bleeding the lines? fuel getting dumped in cylinders but not enough pressure/rpm to burn it? You notice at idle toward the end of the video it cleared right up. I don't know I'm new. Need to learn how to set the timing.

I'm thinking it's possibly from cranking and bleeding the lines? fuel getting dumped in cylinders but not enough pressure/rpm to burn it? You notice at idle toward the end of the video it cleared right up.

I'd say you're right. If anything, timing may need to be set.

pin time the engine (plunger under the injection pump facing forward)
remove the timing nut on the injection pump (15/16 nut on the side of pump)

have a buddy rotate the engine while you put light pressure on the engine pin. when it clicks in your at TDC. take a mirror and look inside the inspection hole on the IP you should see a shinny metal tab. the back side of the nut you removed has the female side of the tab on it. it should slide in and out easily. this insures the engine is pin timed ant whatever the pump has been modified to or whatever the metal plate on the side of the timing case says its set at.

pin time the engine (plunger under the injection pump facing forward)
remove the timing nut on the injection pump (15/16 nut on the side of pump)

have a buddy rotate the engine while you put light pressure on the engine pin. when it clicks in your at TDC. take a mirror and look inside the inspection hole on the IP you should see a shinny metal tab. the back side of the nut you removed has the female side of the tab on it. it should slide in and out easily. this insures the engine is pin timed ant whatever the pump has been modified to or whatever the metal plate on the side of the timing case says its set at.

Thanks!

Mine is suppose to be set at 12 degrees BTDC. By doing this, would it 100% promise the engine is at 12 BTDC?

Also where would I get another nut for the pump gear? Like to keep vital parts on hand just in case. I assume it's just a standard grade 5 or 8 nut.

I forgot to add we just cranked it to hear it run (who wouldn't right?) but no coolant was hooked up. Ran 30 seconds and then shut down. The pump needs a little tuning for the low idle but easy to do once the truck is built.

Back