12v exhaust manifold bolts seized and broke off flush with the head

Blake frames

Hi I am new to the forum and I'm trying to help out a buddy "highwayman" with his build. We got the head off of his 12v which came from New York and 4 exhaust manifold bolts broke off flush at the head. We have tried everything from heating them up and welding nuts on them and we broke 3 extractor bits last night. Are there any other specialty tools or advice that anyone has tried or had success with?

Drill a 3/16 hole through the bolt, weld a nut on it, try to fill the hole with as much weld as possible. Heat the whole ear up cherry red, lots of penetrating oil, and wiggle the nut/bolt back and forth while trying to remove it, don't apply much force while trying to get it out.

Not a big fan of heating cast to remove bolts, it almost never works out for me.
Best way I have found is to very carefully center punch and drill it in stages until you can re-tap the threads, or get lucky and spin the rest out.

Extractors are okay if used conservatively, but I've made things worse using them, especially when the bolt is thin and the extractor actually expands and locks it in place on rusty, pitted threads.
I've found that the square extractors work best, as they actually grab in 4 areas, rather than maybe 1, with spiral extractors.

One of my favorite ways of trying not to break a rusty bolt, is to try to TIGHTEN it first, then hit it with penetrating oil and try to crack it loose, then re-tighten again and loosen it again.
Work it back and forth like that, while adding penetrating oil, to try to clean the rust/debris from the threads.
This procedure doesn't always work, but more often than not it gets positive results.
The theory behind this is that if you tighten a bolt, it stretches the bolt ever so slightly, causing it's diameter to shrink slightly, which takes away the "locking effect" and lets the bolt move.

The problem with heat, is you can get too much of it, then when cast cools it actually contracts enough that it LOCKS the bolt in, then you're through.
At that point drilling and tapping almost becomes the only fix.

Mark.

I've put probably 6 or 7 cans of penetrating oil on it.....

Damn thing really has a grip. I'm about to the point of just getting another head. But that definitely makes my budget a little tight.

The alternating tightening and loosening method worked on a few, but these last four have me ready to throw in the towel

I've put probably 6 or 7 cans of penetrating oil on it.....

Damn thing really has a grip. I'm about to the point of just getting another head. But that definitely makes my budget a little tight.

Just drill them out and rethread the holes, no reason to throw the head out over 4 broken exhaust studs. Keep calm and drill on. Good luck.:Cheer:

I think the welding method would have worked if we drilled the hole. My welds aren't as strong right now considering i forgot and left my C02/argon mix on overnight and it slowly seeped out and i used flux core to weld the nut on. That was another lesson learned the hard way unfortunately

I was just going to say a LH drill bit. Those are my primary means of extracting bolts. Worst case scenario you just have to tap it if the LH bit doesn't spin it out.

Sometimes wax will do the trick. Get a box of those cheap birthday candles and heat the head a little. Touch a candle to it and the wax will wick into the threads. Worth a shot. Good luck.

I've dealt with a bunch of 12V heads that do that. I take the mig and weld a ball on to the end of the broken off stud, then lay a 1/2 nut over the ball you weld, and plug weld the nut. that usually gets enough heat into the threads, and gives you a torque feature.

Been there done it. Best way I found, on the 12V head where the exhaust bolts to head is OPEN on back side. So I took a blow torch, heated up the broke off bolt cherry red then blew it out. Then cleaned out the threds with tap. Done in 5 min. All the time spent with penetrating oil, drilling took days! Be careful not to melt valve cover gaskets, took mine off, put cover back on!

Yeah I've been thinking about that, but I don't have a small enough cutting tip right now, and I don't want to get into the head

Yeah I've been thinking about that, but I don't have a small enough cutting tip right now, and I don't want to get into the head

New tip WAY cheaper than a head! I used a regular cutting tip, size? Flame covered inner Dia of ex bolts, when I hit the Ox it blew the slag out of the hole and up toward the V covers. Ball of fire, LOL. Did have a fire EX on top on engine just In case it flamed, never did.

Get some good cobalt steel drill bits. Go slow, get a 3/16 hole to start with and use a tapered bur bit to open the hole up till you can get a straight one in there. Now that its been welded and heated its going to be harder to drill. Or if you are crazy enough just burn them out with the torch and helicoil the head.

I've burned bolts out of a yoke with a torch. Talk about sketchy, I'd do it with a 3/8" bolt any day now that I've done it on a 6mm sized bolt. lol

If the head is off the truck, jig it up on a drill press/mag drill and just drill them out to the minor diameter, chase it with a tap.

When I burned my broken ex bolts out, chased with a tap, all was good with the threds in the head. I've put a steed speed manifold on and 50k mi later still good!

Back