Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Cummin-a-long

Name: Cummin-a-long
Title: Big Angry
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up FASS vs AirDog.....You Decide!

Okay folks, as I like to do whenever I get my hands on two competitive products, here is a review of the latest two.

This will encompass the AirDog 150 and the FASS 150.

I will start off by saying that I like BOTH of them. They both have a few minor points of contention that may make you, the end user, go one way or the other, but I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Here are the two kits, as they arrived as off the shelf items. Both kits arrived VERY well packaged and complete. Each had a few spare connectors for attaching the pump in different manners.

AirDog 150…..

Click the image to open in full size.

FASS 150…..

A few things to note about the components….

1 – The FASS comes with 3/8” fuel line and the AirDog comes with 1/2". Both had enough to leave approx 1 – 2’ of fuel line remaining after the install. I like the AirDog’s fuel lines better.

2 – The AirDog comes with much nicer fittings for the fuel lines and the connectors lend themselves well if you decide to use steel braided lines and AN fittings. Both use push lock adapters for the lines and they do require quite a bit of pressure to get them fully seated. I suggest using a heat gun on low to warm and soften the line and a little bit of oil on the fitting to aid getting the hoses on.

3 – The FASS comes with a steel pick up tube and the AirDog comes with a plastic one. Both were long and required cutting to the appropriate length. The AirDog pick up tube is easier to work with for the home installer that may not have metal cutting tools. The FASS tube can easily be cut with a hack saw, cutoff wheel, etc.

Regardless of which one you use, you want to leave AT LEAST 1/8” gap from the bottom of the tank and I SUGGEST that you fish mouth the tube to prevent possible suction to the tank bottom. To fish-mouth the AirDog, just use a sharp knife and cut the end of the tube at a 45* angle. To fish-mouth the FASS tube, just use a drill bit and drill a half circle at the end of the tube.

4 – Both come with a pair of steel, powder coated brackets for attaching to the frame. The FASS comes with a bracket that is specific to the model of vehicle, the AirDog is more generic, but allows more flexibility for user preferred install location. For ease of installation, I prefer the FASS setup, but for flexibility, I prefer the AirDog setup. This is your choice here. Also, the FASS comes with a rubber isolator pad that goes between the bracket and frame for noise / vibration isolation.

5 – The FASS comes with ENORMOUS filters compared to the AirDog. They are EASILY 1.5 times the size of the AirDog filters. These filters are also easily cross referenced with other filter manufacturer’s types if you prefer to switch them to different type. I swapped mine for hydraulic filters that had a much lower micron rating (2 micron) and had much thicker case for higher burst pressures. If limited space is a consideration, the AirDog is a much smaller unit and fits the bill. For longer intervals between filter changes and filter availability, the FASS might be a better choice.

6 – The AirDog is MUCH quieter than the FASS on my truck. The FASS sounds like a small lawnmower engine before the truck is started. Once the truck is started, it’s noticeable outside, but not on the inside. It actually works as a little conversation piece when folks hear it for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ExJM_LnrQ

7 – Wiring. Both are similar, with the exception that the FASS does not require cutting the power wire to the OEM pump. If for some reason it was necessary to use the OEM pump, it’s much easier to swap on the side of the road with the FASS, as no electrical connection need to be spliced.

8 – PRICE! The Airdog is much cheaper than the FASS, so this will likely be a major consideration in your purchase.

All in all, I like them both. I’ve installed several of both and I’d use either without hesitation. Both have a few items that are better than the other, but nothing that should prevent someone from purchasing either.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
02HO4X4

Name: 02HO4X4
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Thank you for another great write up
"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy662 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you can go smoke a firecracker.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
SSpeeDEMONSS

Name: SSpeeDEMONSS
Title: Still Learning
Member`s Gallery
nice write up. i prefer the airdog.

Garrett

Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Cummin-a-long

Member`s Gallery
Found this while looking for a new HF6604 filter for my FASS.

Those of us with the older FASS units and also the AirDogs that have drilled the tank and used a grommet for the pick-up tube may benefit from this.

This is the new setup that FASS is shipping with all the 1005 kits and can be retrofit for those using the grommet setup.

The new fitting sandwiches the tank on top and bottom and has an o-ring seal to prevent leaks vs the friction seal between the grommet and pick up tube on the older setup that can be prone to leak, especially if you have the fuel vent relocation mod on your truck.

Here's a link to it. If you are having leak issues with your FASS or AirDog, this may solve your problem.

http://www.klmstore.com/fassstk-1001...m99-07fsd.aspx

Click Here For Picture

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummin-a-long View Post
5 – The FASS comes with ENORMOUS filters compared to the AirDog. They are EASILY 1.5 times the size of the AirDog filters. These filters are also easily cross referenced with other filter manufacturer’s types if you prefer to switch them to different type. I swapped mine for hydraulic filters that had a much lower micron rating (2 micron) and had much thicker case for higher burst pressures. If limited space is a consideration, the AirDog is a much smaller unit and fits the bill. For longer intervals between filter changes and filter availability, the FASS might be a better choice.
[/FONT]
I can get my filters for the AirDog from the local napa store

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Great write up. It is greatly appreciated. But you left one major thing out. AirDogs come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Cummin-a-long

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
I can get my filters for the AirDog from the local napa store
Go to NAPA and have them cross reference this number and you can get it for FASS as well.

F7400-8K3B

It's nothing but a 3 micron hydraulic filter. Runs about $35 for the NAPA Gold Brand.

Or you can get the actual FASS branded filter for about $23.

Last edited by Cummin-a-long; 06-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Cummin-a-long

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
Great write up. It is greatly appreciated. But you left one major thing out. AirDogs come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!
FASS does as well.

Lifetime Warranty* on Most Applications
*Class 8 Trucks 2 Year Warranty

Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
getblown5.9

Name: getblown5.9
Title: Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Member`s Gallery
For the record my FASS is not loud like some say...neither of my FASS units were loud. I did hear one a few years ago on a 3rd gen that was louder than the truck itself, but thats the only one that was every noticably loud.

With the engine off I can hear mine running, which I like, so I know if it quits working for some reason.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Cummin-a-long

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by getblown5.9 View Post
For the record my FASS is not loud like some say...neither of my FASS units were loud. I did hear one a few years ago on a 3rd gen that was louder than the truck itself, but thats the only one that was every noticably loud.

With the engine off I can hear mine running, which I like, so I know if it quits working for some reason.
Correct, the new ones are suppossed to be very quiet. I haven't touched one, so I can't say yes or no.

Mine is about a year old and is one of the louder ones.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Go to NAPA and have them cross reference this number and you can get it for FASS as well.

F7400-8K3B

It's nothing but a 3 micron hydraulic filter. Runs about $35 for the NAPA Gold Brand.

Or you can get the actual FASS branded filter for about $23.
I get mine thru a corporate account so its much cheaper that way about 10 bucks a filter

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
FASS does as well.

Lifetime Warranty* on Most Applications
*Class 8 Trucks 2 Year Warranty
All 100, 150, and 165 units are LIFETIME WARRANTY. That basically takes care of everything except for the Class 8 and the offroad only trucks that pull and drag only. Interesting to see what "most" means. More than 50% at least?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
dieselsmoke0204

Name: dieselsmoke0204
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
One thing most of you probably dont know is that the owner of AirDog is the father to the owner of FASS. Also, AirDog was started before fast and the owner of AirDog came up with all of the designs for the fuel systems. Now, where do you think the owner of FASS got his designs?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke0204 View Post
One thing most of you probably dont know is that the owner of AirDog is the father to the owner of FASS. Also, AirDog was started before fast and the owner of AirDog came up with all of the designs for the fuel systems. Now, where do you think the owner of FASS got his designs?
I knew that! And that is why it's AirDog all the way for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery

Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Didn't FASS win the lawsuit though? I don't know the whole story on this, I do remember FASS winning a lawsuit.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Robts

Name: Robts
Title: Proud Fummins Owner
Member`s Gallery
I love my FASS..I mean it was rebuilt again just before TS and went out on the way home. Then when I called them for a warranty card they could find it but said....funny,,,,it shows it was just here for a rebuild.

To date almost all my personal friends have blow the motors on there fass.

I thought I was getting a Airdog

2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Loaded. 6" lift on 35" Toyos on 22x12 gear alloys sold

2004 Ford F350 Lariat with a Fummins **under construction...Money pit

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
02HO4X4

Name: 02HO4X4
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke0204 View Post
I have always heard it was a father-son thing.
"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy662 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you can go smoke a firecracker.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
dieselsmoke0204

Name: dieselsmoke0204
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Ya, is a father son thing. Im not sure who won the lawsuit or whether its even over or not yet. As of last year, they were still in court. I know the father from having a boat on the same dock at him at Lake of the Ozarks. The lawsuit is because the son stole the designs from the father and started FASS with the same designs that his father was using. His father had a patent on all the designs therefore its copyright infringment.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
Smoke

Name: Smoke
Title: VP Puller Playin Catch-Up
Member`s Gallery
Air Dog !!!!

Closed Thread