Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > NHRDA
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NHRDA Get info on NHRDA events and results here

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
10.90 Class for 2018?

I have heard rumors that there may not be a 10.90 class for next year, I just wanted to get some clarification from the powers at be on the matter... I am building a new truck for that class this winter.

Thanks!
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 11-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
That has been debated for years. Problem is 10.90 makes guys actually install cages and everyone wants to build street race trucks. They should have pulled the class a long time ago and made it a 10 second class called modified street or something for low budget race trucks and no index

Old 11-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Woosley

Name: Woosley
Title: Barely was has been
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justappumped24v View Post
That has been debated for years. Problem is 10.90 makes guys actually install cages and everyone wants to build street race trucks. They should have pulled the class a long time ago and made it a 10 second class called modified street or something for low budget race trucks and no index
That's how SS started, and what it was originally for.
Firepunk Diesel
D&J Precision Machine
Exergy Performance
Diesel Performance Converters

Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
A faster index class would be cool, maybe 10.50 or even a 10.0 class.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
I enjoy index racing. I'd be inclined to build something faster if every class except top diesel went index.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
vsouth

Name: vsouth
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
10.90 or any other class will not survive if no one shows up to race. People begged for the class for years. Randy finally gave in and there has never been more than 7 competitors in the class at one race. Most races this year had 3 or less. I don't think he will have it this year. If it does survive, it won't be a points class.

Edge Products, Magnaflow, Adrenaline Performance, ATPTrucks, Dmax Store, Yukon, Flexalite, Fusion Bumpers, Danville Performance
2006 GMC 2500hd CCSB 4X4 Built to the hilt, and run till she broke

Old 11-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
vsouth

Name: vsouth
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I think the NHRDA should dump the 11.9 index and go with an 11.0 and a 10.0 index classes. Side by side fast racing is way more fun to watch than one truck beating another by 1.5 seconds. Or oiling down the track.

Edge Products, Magnaflow, Adrenaline Performance, ATPTrucks, Dmax Store, Yukon, Flexalite, Fusion Bumpers, Danville Performance
2006 GMC 2500hd CCSB 4X4 Built to the hilt, and run till she broke

Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsouth View Post
10.90 or any other class will not survive if no one shows up to race. People begged for the class for years. Randy finally gave in and there has never been more than 7 competitors in the class at one race. Most races this year had 3 or less. I don't think he will have it this year. If it does survive, it won't be a points class.
It would be cool if they had a 10.0 class. But in all honesty, how many actively raced 10 second trucks are there?

Last edited by 56cummins; 11-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
More people are building race specific trucks but why do orgs not work together on classes. Our 7.70 class is absolute packed and 6.70 had good showing of 12-16 trucks. A full field in a 6.70 class is impressive in my opinion. That said events are going to need to turn into shows. we have to speed up the racing and put on more of a show

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Looks like the NHRDA hasn't posted on anything in a year... I guess this isn't the right place to ask questions.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
Looks like the NHRDA hasn't posted on anything in a year... I guess this isn't the right place to ask questions.
Just call randy

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
More people are building race specific trucks but why do orgs not work together on classes.
I think ego has a lot to do with it. I agree, for diesel racing to grow there needs to be the same classes across the organizations. This may help things, it surely can't hurt. I'm having a hard time getting excited to put my truck back together and driving a thousand miles to race 2-6 trucks in my class.

I'd not have a problem slowing my truck down to run an index class if there was more competitors to race. For me it's about having trucks in the class to race. I'm spoiled though as i race locally most every weekend and compete in a class that averages over 70 cars per event.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRob View Post
I think ego has a lot to do with it. I agree, for diesel racing to grow there needs to be the same classes across the organizations. This may help things, it surely can't hurt. I'm having a hard time getting excited to put my truck back together and driving a thousand miles to race 2-6 trucks in my class.

I'd not have a problem slowing my truck down to run an index class if there was more competitors to race. For me it's about having trucks in the class to race. I'm spoiled though as i race locally most every weekend and compete in a class that averages over 70 cars per event.

With your truck you do that's? I honestly want to see a 6.50 class. Same class as the gas cars then we can go have fun with them as well. I want to branch out and race gas as diesel events. Gas events move very quickly

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Do any diesel organizations run a quicker index class than 10.90? All we really have down here is NHRDA and local gas races.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Looks like to me all the NHRDA races are suffering with fewer competitors and very few spectators. Diesel racing is not a good spectator sport and the events are so strung out that the travel to each event is expensive and time consuming. Use to be a good number of contingency sponsors upwards of 15 or so, how many this past year about 4 or 5?

As Rob said it's way more fun to race when there are a lot of competitors like we have at the local tracks with the gas rigs. There very few break downs or oil downs which plague diesel events. As far as the classes go, the ones that carry the diesel events are the sportsman and the 11.90 index. There are a lot of guys who don't want to put a cage/roll bar in their street truck. Talking about trying to get a faster class when the current ones are pretty much a bust doesn't make much sense.

You would be better off trying to talk your local track into a diesel class or race the gas cars.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman631 View Post
Looks like to me all the NHRDA races are suffering with fewer competitors and very few spectators. Diesel racing is not a good spectator sport and the events are so strung out that the travel to each event is expensive and time consuming. Use to be a good number of contingency sponsors upwards of 15 or so, how many this past year about 4 or 5?

As Rob said it's way more fun to race when there are a lot of competitors like we have at the local tracks with the gas rigs. There very few break downs or oil downs which plague diesel events. As far as the classes go, the ones that carry the diesel events are the sportsman and the 11.90 index. There are a lot of guys who don't want to put a cage/roll bar in their street truck. Talking about trying to get a faster class when the current ones are pretty much a bust doesn't make much sense.

You would be better off trying to talk your local track into a diesel class or race the gas cars.
I hear ya, I just feel a faster index may attract some SS trucks and the few 10.90 trucks to make the that middle of the road class larger and more entertaining to watch. In my personal case, building a dedicated race truck to only run 10.90s kinda leaves me wanting more, but not enough to go SS.

There is a big "investment gap" between a SS truck and 10.90 truck, but really not much between a 10.90 and 11.90 besides the cage, so in my mind if I am going to put a cage in a truck, I want to go faster than a 10.90.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I don't have the time, energy, or money to run with the top SS guys anymore, the last few races i went to, there was not even a hand full of SS competitors anyway.

I like index racing as it adds driver experience and talent to the game of winning. That being said, i don't see me traveling long distances to race against a few trucks anymore. If we could come up with a solution and have at least a 16 truck field, then i would make some distance races a priority.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Last edited by IdahoRob; 11-06-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #18
paulb

Name: paulb
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I don't have the time, energy, or money to run with the top SS guys anymore, the last few races i went to, there was not even a hand full of SS competitors anyway.

I like index racing as it adds driver experience and talent to the game of winning. That being said, i don't see me traveling long distances to race against a few trucks anymore. If we could come up with a solution and have at least a 16 truck field, then i would make some distance races a priority.
I'm in the same situation. I race in 10.90 classes both in NHRA, and in local diesel races. Most of my passes in a year are in the NHRA Pro E.T. class, however. I do find the 10.90 index class adds a little extra challenge, because I tune to run 10.90.

I started racing with the NHRDA from the very beginning, and would not trade those experiences for anything. I still try to make the NHRDA races if the schedule permits and the event is close.

Just as a point of reference I make around 350 10 second 1/4 passes a year.

Paul

Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
RHP997

Name: RHP997
Title: part-time
Member`s Gallery
I have to agree with the two organizations running similar classes. I would love to run 10.50 index but making it to the odss events are a bit of a long haul for us especially with young kids. As far as attendance I believe a 10.50 would draw more competitors from both sides and possibly some older ss trucks. Of the nhrda events we made it to this year we saw just as many 10.90 trucks as ss trucks. As far as index classes I believe pro street is already at 7.99 and ss is just about at 8.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #20
Ryan Tucker

Name: Ryan Tucker
Title: Do it Dont talk about it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Exactly, I hate to look over here and see the same exact problems that diesel racing had some 10 years ago. There's been enough time to figure all that out. Exactly why lots of the fastest run mostly Gas index races, a good racer wants competition not a easy win between 3 or 4 cars. Index is where it's at and has been for at least 6 or 7 years for sure. 90 percent of my few years diesel racing was Gas events running 5.00, 5.80, and 6.00 index. Was a blast.
In this much time the Other goof balls should have fizzled away or they 'got together' and had every class set up as an index, possibly expect for Top Diesel but even then you just do it as a 6.00 index and let the boundaries continue to try and be pushed.

Closed Thread