Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Timing Theories

So the further I find myself in trying to understand every aspect of how these things work, I find more questions. I know this is probably coveted secrets among tuners, but how is everyone determining optimal injection timing?

I know there are a few schools of thought on how this should be done, but basically I'm looking to make a little more advanced calculator than just punching in rpm and duration and giving you a timing based on splitting the pulse roughly 50/50.

Just kind of looking for a little better justification for how to calculate timing than yeah should be about 50/50. Looking to make a little bit nicer calculator for use in HPT or MM3.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
A calculator like you mentioned will get you very close. In order to find that "sweet spot" for your particular combination, that takes dyno / track time, as well as tracking fuel mileage (if you care)

Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Alright let me a little further explain my thinking. What were really after is ignition timing, which lots of variables play into exactly when this happens after we start to open the injector right? Things like rail pressure, rpm, EGT, head swirl etc etc etc. Now the earlier this ignition happens along with at what rate we start to inject fuel determines the curve of cylinder pressure in relation to crank degrees. Too early and we start having bottom end and head gasket issues, too late and we rob potential power and a few other minute things. So although the 50/50 theory would get us close, I am shooting for more exact. So I guess my first question is how much variance typically are we seeing in that 50/50 on a truck that has been optimally setup? Are we seeing that accross the whole band were within +/-10%? 20? 30?

Im not trying to reinvent the wheel here, I have been tuning for about 3 years and have had zero issues building, given my equipment access and inexperience, what I believe are fairly happy tunes with nothing more than careful intuition. But there is always room to improve through understanding, which is what I am after.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Dom_c13b

Name: Dom_c13b
Member`s Gallery
I usually end up at about 75% for max effort cummins tunes. That's typically only above 3000rpm that I give it that much timing and on big injector trucks. On stock injector trucks I typically stop at 60%. I've gone up into the mid 80%'s before on a truck. One thing you really need to consider is end of injection. If you keep the injection even going too far past top dead center you will end up with a melted piston.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
apples24v

Name: apples24v
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Dom and Jwhite are both pretty smart with this stuff ,here's a link to another thread about this where they both chime and Dom explains the formula behind the calculator a Jwhite gives another quick rule of thumb he uses sometimes. But like they said best way to really tell what the truck likes is a dyno

Cummins Timing - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

01 QCLB 5-speed, Valair ceramic single disk, quad adrn, DDP 150's,Tunnel ram, pusher manifold, 3.5' piping, AEM intake, Fluidampr, 08+ steering

Old 11-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
I appreciate the responses guys. I suppose without logging cylinder pressure on a dyno it would be hard to tune based on ignition timing like makes mathematical sense to me. EOI is deffinitely a good point as well. Also what kind of injector delays are typical? I know flowsheets generally show them, but roundabout how long is typical?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
OP, im glad you brought this up because i have found myself in a similar situation on tuning an 06.

Dominic has been awesome on helping me understand as well,

i.e. my issue, or question pertains to a truck going from 125% up 200% overs. but for the sake of hijacking i will start a post.

-M
H-Town Off-Road

Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
CLAYNDCITY

Name: CLAYNDCITY
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I think the general consensus is do not use de-fueling. I am on a stock truck, stock studs, etc., with a rather mild advance and no de-fueling and it has been working pretty well. On deleted trucks the post main injection events are simply shut off, as they are only used for Nox and DPF regen. The pre-main events are supposedly simply to make the engine quieter. But I am quite the amateur in this question, so I am just as curious about it as you are. Myself, I'm simply looking for mileage, longevity, and no smoke. I don't really notice much in the way of performance gain unless I am accelerating with a lot of pedal, then it's quite a difference. And my fuel mileage is significantly better.

Closed Thread