Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Pipeliner95

Name: Pipeliner95
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Blow fire ringed head gasket. What's to blame?

Less than 500 miles ago I had a shop replace the head gasket on my very built 12 valve. Head was resurfaced, recut fire rings, new arp 625s were installed, block was checked, and new gasket. The shop torqued the studs twice, i drove it around 100 miles then torqued again. Honestly I have been getting on it, but still I don't believe the gasket should have blown, especially with the 625s. I am not certain it is the head gasket because I haven't pressure tested it yet, but I am assuming it is. I'm overheating and burning coolant. So if it turns out to be the head gasket, is there any sort of warranty from arp, machine shop, diesel shop, or gasket company that would cover me?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
unfinished business

Name: unfinished business
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What are some details on your combo? What shop did the work?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Pipeliner95

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinished business View Post
What are some details on your combo? What shop did the work?
Combo? are you asking about my build list?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
It's rare, but I've heard of the deck of the block being far enough off to blow a h/g, even with fire-rings. That might be something to check after you take it apart again. Also heard of using the wrong gasket with the wrong fire-rings, they have to match. Just some ideas.

Edit: Oops. Just saw the "block checked"...

Last edited by JQmile; 03-21-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner95 View Post
Less than 500 miles ago I had a shop replace the head gasket on my very built 12 valve. Head was resurfaced, recut fire rings, new arp 625s were installed, block was checked, and new gasket. The shop torqued the studs twice, i drove it around 100 miles then torqued again. Honestly I have been getting on it, but still I don't believe the gasket should have blown, especially with the 625s. I am not certain it is the head gasket because I haven't pressure tested it yet, but I am assuming it is. I'm overheating and burning coolant. So if it turns out to be the head gasket, is there any sort of warranty from arp, machine shop, diesel shop, or gasket company that would cover me?

Getting the proper protrusion and everything is very important. I would check all that. I have killed one fire ring gasket on my truck. I am good at it though. The rings may have not crushed right. Also no way will there be a warranty on performance.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Getting the proper protrusion and everything is very important. I would check all that.
Yeah, I've had a couple good shops argue about that stuff. One actually told me "have fun when it blows!"....and we're talking about just a few thousands.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 AM   #7
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
Yeah, I've had a couple good shops argue about that stuff. One actually told me "have fun when it blows!"....and we're talking about just a few thousands.

Yes sir. The spec is like a .004 Wondow.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I hope it's not the case but I had one that started using water with no external leaks, found a crack in the rear cyl bore. Started out about a gallon a week then slowly got worse.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Pipeliner95

Member`s Gallery
Problem solved. While under the hood I played with the throttle and noticed a leak coming from the coolant return line from the heater core dripping onto the manifold. it would instantly evaporate, thats why I didn't notice it when I would park it. Also I could not notice it when it was cold and parked because the water pump wasn't creating enough pressure. I noticed I only used coolant when I would get on it hard, so it makes perfect sense. It's a lot cheaper than a head gasket

Closed Thread