Well, I screwed up....

TheBac

UPS guy
My Cruze has been throwing an occasional P20E4 code. There was another one but I forget what it was P24-something. Would normally happen on cold start, never on warm start. Ok fine, I just cleared the codes and went on my way. Whats weird is when the air temps dropped, the CELs went away. Odd.
But lately I started getting the dreaded "poor DEF fluid -- 99 miles to 65mph" notices on the DIC. They'd show up, then go away after 30 miles. Then start up again a day or two later. (Yes, DEF was new and full) Wonderful.
After reading my eyes red, and asking guys I know who've worked on these cars, pretty much traced the problems back to poor EGT sensor performance. Was time to change the sensors anyways, what with 90,000 miles on the car.
Anyway, bought all new GM sensors. EGT1 and EGT2 were easy. EGT3, however, was not. After trying from different side angles with no luck, I decided to try from the top. First used a 15mm injector line socket in order to keep the wiring intact, but it started to strip the nut. Used heat, used fluid, nothing helped. So....decided to cut the wiring off and use a 6pt deep well on it. Put some force to the ratchet and "SNAP" -- broke the nut portion off the fitting! W-T-F?!?
So....now I get to remove the front pipe and attempt to drill the rest of the old sensor out. At almost $1000, buying a new front pipe is not on my menu.
Got the car up on ramps today and was inspecting what I have to do, and found my undercar shield was broken in two different spots, so gotta buy one of those, too.
Just thought Id share my latest screw-up. F my life. :doh: Wish me luck.

That’s par for the course around my shop. 2 hour job turns into 2 days.

Try hetting that fitting the sensor is threaded into glowing red with a torch, then hammer and chisel on the remaining sensor.
You most likely need a hammering force to break it loose, not slowly increasing pressure of a wrench or socket.

I know it sucks. Good luck.

If you remove the giant canister and forget to put it back on, you only need one sensor. There are threads for two, but I think the ECM is only looking for #1 after the tune.

Last edited:
Just get a new bung and weld it in next to the old one if all else fails.

I like heat, hit it with bees wax, repeat, then try to turn it out while hot.

If you remove the giant canister and forget to put it back on, you only need one sensor. There are threads for two, but I think the ECM is only looking for #1 after the tune.
I checked into that when the codes started popping up. Those things are no longer available, due to govt intrusion into our lives. Sadly, I waited too long to make the trip to Oz.

Thanks J and Red for the encouragement. I just feel dumb right now.

Luckily, all 5 nuts on the flanges broke loose after some heat, with no damage to the studs.
We ended up having to cut the bung off to get the sensor out, though. Got another M14x1.5 bung coming to replace it.
So I get to drive BBT for a week or two. Not a bad trade.

I checked into that when the codes started popping up. Those things are no longer available, due to govt intrusion into our lives. Sadly, I waited too long to make the trip to Oz.

Thanks J and Red for the encouragement. I just feel dumb right now.
I'll sell you my car ;)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back