$$Breakage!?!?

Kman9090

All right this will be my first year with a fairly built heathly truck. This truck is my Daily Driver and need it to get back and forth to work everyday but have a loaner just in case. I'm pushing somewhere probably between 550-600 horse give or take some. How much money do you think I will be looking at to save incase of breakage. Or annualy pulling 10 or so pulls a year how many times do some of you break something and whats the most common thing to most radical. I know I am taking a chance at breakage just want to have the money in the bank to have it fixed hen it does happen. I am also gonna be running a M/T since that is all I hav but they are about 50 percent warn. SO what do you guys think? I think I'll be all right as long as I am smart and no when to get out of it and when to push the clutch in. Also how many of you guys on here pull your DD's and really try to compete in a class?

I hooked about 10 times last year I run a DD from SB Spring center. I think the only thing that I really tweeked was a Ujoint on the front axal. O and twisted the shaft on the water pump I,m turning around the same ponys

Kman9090 said:
All right this will be my first year with a fairly built heathly truck. This truck is my Daily Driver and need it to get back and forth to work everyday but have a loaner just in case. I'm pushing somewhere probably between 550-600 horse give or take some. How much money do you think I will be looking at to save incase of breakage. Or annualy pulling 10 or so pulls a year how many times do some of you break something and whats the most common thing to most radical. I know I am taking a chance at breakage just want to have the money in the bank to have it fixed hen it does happen. I am also gonna be running a M/T since that is all I hav but they are about 50 percent warn. SO what do you guys think? I think I'll be all right as long as I am smart and no when to get out of it and when to push the clutch in. Also how many of you guys on here pull your DD's and really try to compete in a class?

Dont worry so much.

Just get out there and pull.

A 3rd gen drivetrain is very tough from the factory and with withstand quite a bit of abuse.
You should be ok your first couple of seasons...

Just use your head.

Rig up something to put over your transfer case in case you blow the rear driveshaft. You can drive home using the front wheel drive, you just need to be able to contain the fluid from spilling out the rear. Spare ujoints would be good to have, but if you break a yoke they won't do you much good. The Tcases are pretty stout already, you don't see too many of them go.

Dont worry so much.

Just get out there and pull.

A 3rd gen drivetrain is very tough from the factory and with withstand quite a bit of abuse.
You should be ok your first couple of seasons...

Just use your head.
How about a 2nd gen with a built tranny?

I will be pulled to every pull. My buddy has a 30 foot tanden axle goosneck that he is gonna pull my truck to every pull. I mean I am not worried about getting home with the truck.

Second gen has issues.
2500 auto has a d70 which pinion will snap.
D80 posi's have weak spider gears, then the axle shafts.
Granted if you have sandy tracks the drivetrains will handle quite a bit, but a good biting track will either blow spiders on the 80 or axle shafts if you have anykind of power.

Kman9090 said:
have u put traction bars on yet?

Going on in Febuaray. Actually whenever Shaun and Matt what me to take my truck up ther the ladder bars are gonna get put on.

zstroken said:
Second gen has issues.
2500 auto has a d70 which pinion will snap.
D80 posi's have weak spider gears, then the axle shafts.
Granted if you have sandy tracks the drivetrains will handle quite a bit, but a good biting track will either blow spiders on the 80 or axle shafts if you have anykind of power.
so what rearend should a person have for the 2nd Gen.? i have a d70 pulled 10 times last year no promblems.

Duster 5.9 said:
so what rearend should a person have for the 2nd Gen.? i have a d70 pulled 10 times last year no promblems.

Well I've broken 2 D70 pinions pullin, T case main shaft, thats was with around 540hp. But my D80 has help up good so far.

Duster 5.9 said:

Dana 80 is the only way to go.. The 70s start breaking at around 450HP.

An 80 is a decent route to go. If you can find an AAM 11.5 from a 3rd gen. Those seem to be good to from the factory to 700-800. The d80 can start having issues(spider gears and axles) at around 600. If you put the money into the 80 it is very stout. figure about $1500 in parts though, and then it will be stouter than a 3rd gen. Above 800 the 3rd gen starts to see issues such as carriers, and axles also though.

Back