Opinions on Edison Motors

They say the kit will cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new pickup. That covers a broad spectrum. Neat idea, but, it still uses batteries. And those things don't do good in the cold.
The upside to this is the IC engine can potentially build enough heat to regulate the battery temp in the cold. That and the genset can run heater strips as well.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

They say the kit will cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new pickup. That covers a broad spectrum. Neat idea, but, it still uses batteries. And those things don't do good in the cold.

Teslas have glycol running though the battery packs to maintain a reasonable temp.

From what I understand, having the motors on each end causes phasing issues that have to be accounted for.

I didn’t say it would be easy. There would have to be some sophisticated software to control the power sent to each motor, but, man, that would be a bad ride.

Teslas have glycol running though the battery packs to maintain a reasonable temp.

apparently dont work worth shit by the news bashing all the frozen ones...im sure its mostly dumbass owners but still..theyre stuck..altho many gas cars and trucks are too so

Tesla glycol is more or less to keep battery temperature down. If they do not keep them cool they will burn. I'm sure they could heat the fluid, but they are having problems in the cold taking a charge due to Being to cold.

I agree, the engine will produce heat, and that could bemused to keep the Battery's warm, and warm them up.

I personally think it's more than amazing to watch these new EV owners sit frozen while their shit doesn't work. I have a HUGE barn full of I effin' told ya so that I'm ready to dump on anyone who wishes to want some. :D

I had a random thought about electric cars the other day and the next day seen the news articles about it. Laughed my ass off at the surprise on the owners faces. I knew my truck was going to pitch a fit with a worn out battery and no grid at 11° so I plugged it in.

People are just delusional nowadays. Trying to flip the most simple or basic ideas and principles completely backwards and act surprised when it flops and folks say I told ya so.

I want to put a 4wd front axle and suspension in my first gen, but drive it off an electric motor, and make a hybrid that way. Use the electric motor to have a quiet creep mode, drive the front axle if stuck, and some off-the-line torque to improve 60' times. But basically keeping the electric front wheels totally independent from the mechanical rear wheels. Put the batteries in the back where I need the ballast anyways and charge them off the grid or the engine.

Anybody selling what I need to do that yet?

I don't think there is a large enough market for that yet for anyone to even begin to develop what you are looking for.

As for the diesel electric like a train, it would be awesome if they figure it out, but I don't think it will be anytime soon sadly. There is a YouTube channel that has a diesel electric semi that they use, I have not watched the videos on it yet but have seen it a few times in my suggestions.

I don't think there is a large enough market for that yet for anyone to even begin to develop what you are looking for.

As for the diesel electric like a train, it would be awesome if they figure it out, but I don't think it will be anytime soon sadly. There is a YouTube channel that has a diesel electric semi that they use, I have not watched the videos on it yet but have seen it a few times in my suggestions.
Pretty sure that's Edison's tractor you are seeing.

Begle

I worked on a creep drive that was built in to a drop box that was hydraulically driven and plc controlled. There is no reason a transfer case couldn't be modified to attach a drive motor to do the same. It wouldn't be a great deal different than what jeep has tried to do for the last half century with how they bias torque to the front to launch.

arent those huge mining trucks like that already?

That's my thought for efficiency, create a diesel electric system just like the mining trucks and locomotives. Would it work for the public? I don't know, but I believe it would be a better option than just batteries. I guess that doesn't solve the issue of fossil fuel power though.

That's my thought for efficiency, create a diesel electric system just like the mining trucks and locomotives. Would it work for the public? I don't know, but I believe it would be a better option than just batteries. I guess that doesn't solve the issue of fossil fuel power though.

No but in a road vehicle you don't need a big diesel to run everything and tow. Simple 3 or 4 cylinder generator does the job. Tiny engine like that would do better on fuel usage then our 6 and 8 cylinders. With a 40-60 gal tank, ought to get some good mileage out of a tank.

Won't completely remove fossil fuels now but will definitely help until the technology for all electric gets better. Edison is showing some promising results with the logging trucks they've built.

Part I'm really interested in is having a diesel electric truck, that opens the possibility of powering a house. In my area (coastal north carolina) during a hurricane power becomes an issue for weeks sometimes. Without NG, a stand by home generator isn't an option. Edison is working on a military contract to convert some 7 tons to diesel electric for storm relief efforts and quick response post operation bases. Curious if that would work with this too

I doesn't make financial sense. Equivalent cost per mile will never outpace an IC vehicle, no matter how you spin it.

The theory is that you are charging the vehicle during down time, then peak shaving with the onboard IC engine until it can go on charge again. Other than a hobby project, it isn't really viable.

Someone Cummins swap a Prius with an R2.8 and report back.

I doesn't make financial sense. Equivalent cost per mile will never outpace an IC vehicle, no matter how you spin it.

The theory is that you are charging the vehicle during down time, then peak shaving with the onboard IC engine until it can go on charge again. Other than a hobby project, it isn't really viable.

Someone Cummins swap a Prius with an R2.8 and report back.

Not one single vehicle on here makes financial sense lol

Diesel-Electric Semi Truck - Everything You Want To Know - YouTube

Love the idea but moments like 22:20 in this video make me think otherwise. Something so simple as placing the labels for the switches has me confirming my thoughts. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely a backyard/Zip tie kinda guy but feel like the interior on the prototype makes it look very hillbilly. I'm ok with it but perhaps to the general public it looks more like a high school student project.

Last edited:
Back