Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #20061
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Felt frisky so I made a meme. Might delete later.

Click the image to open in full size.
I love this.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 11-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #20062
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Felt frisky so I made a meme. Might delete later.

Click the image to open in full size.

Had quite a few get flashed over because a truckstop tuner could “definitely raise his HP because he had a 625 file” because the one in the truck only said 475. Nevermind the “475” will do north of 700 to the tires. So I’ve started making chit up to mess with them. Flash them to say 150hp and use a file number off a C32, makes the dealers scratch their heads. Made a few so no one can flash over them.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #20063
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
You spelled Chinese wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Had quite a few get flashed over because a truckstop tuner could “definitely raise his HP because he had a 625 file” because the one in the truck only said 475. Nevermind the “475” will do north of 700 to the tires. So I’ve started making chit up to mess with them. Flash them to say 150hp and use a file number off a C32, makes the dealers scratch their heads. Made a few so no one can flash over them.
Thats reminds me of a few tunes ive seen from a rather well known detroit guy. All he does is take PW fudge factor and adds 10% to 15% and shoves it back in. I cant believe he could in good conscience charge peoole foe this.

In another note my clunker runs! Smooth as frig and a lot more bottom end.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #20064
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Your tune got our ass chewed

I've already shared this with John, but I'll tell the rest of you...

Driver called one morning early, lost the charger. Had it towed to CAT out in Maryland. First thing is CAT calls my brother..."You know this truck has been tampered with, right?" Brother says, "Yes, we paid good money for that, don't mess with it, install the new turbo"

They install turbo, clean charge air, etc, etc...won't let the truck leave without putting it on their Dyno. Whatever. They put it on the Dyno, the operator flogs on our truck, and immediately shuts it down. Get another phone call from CAT..."This truck has over 700HP at the wheels, you have no warranty, no guarantees, please get it out of our shop."

Our driver called later and was still laughing. Says they were PISSED!

Good job on the tune!!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #20065
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Still a better outcome than what I've heard from some other places (Cummins)
Old 11-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #20066
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Still a better outcome than what I've heard from some other places (Cummins)
Not much they could have done. If they had flashed it, we would have had it retuned when it got home. Truck is out of warranty, and is a glider anyway.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #20067
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
As a dealer, we cannot legally "complete" a repair with restoring it to it's appropriate emissions tier.
I can't "make" you dyno your truck.

I'm not going bat an eye at your C32 150hp tune. I don't know why anyone would claim to be confused by it.

The only trouble we've had was an idiot I worked with that thought putting a cal In a cummins fixed anything. It didn't matter that the isx was chugging like a steam engine, he shoved that file in there before he did anything else.
Truck had been deleted, and then MO-Ron overwrote the tune. Things got uglier from there.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 11-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #20068
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Your tune got our chewed

I've already shared this with John, but I'll tell the rest of you...

Driver called one morning early, lost the charger. Had it towed to CAT out in Maryland. First thing is CAT calls my brother..."You know this truck has been tampered with, right?" Brother says, "Yes, we paid good money for that, don't mess with it, install the new turbo"

They install turbo, clean charge air, etc, etc...won't let the truck leave without putting it on their Dyno. Whatever. They put it on the Dyno, the operator flogs on our truck, and immediately shuts it down. Get another phone call from CAT..."This truck has over 700HP at the wheels, you have no warranty, no guarantees, please get it out of our shop."

Our driver called later and was still laughing. Says they were!

Good job on the tune!!
Chris

That’s just awesome!!!
Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #20069
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I guess that's the big one right? I had a customer (gasoline) pay a lot of money for a fancy shmancy S400 based turbo with ball bearings. Pretty much double the price of a genuine 88sxe with no real gains IMO.

Me? I'd rather save the money and have an actual compressor map. They ended up maxing out the turbine anyways.
Just because the customer isn’t set up to take advantage of that charger doesn’t mean the parts offered don’t offer improvements.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #20070
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
I'm not going bat an eye at your C32 150hp tune. I don't know why anyone would claim to be confused by it.

Uh huh, so what’s dealer protocol when a truck comes in and you try and update it to the latest and greatest calibration, and you can’t flash the ecm no matter how many laptops you try?

Or the SDP that’s deleted and your dealer tool number is the last one to make system changes?

Would your dealer put an injector in my truck? It’s a CJP C18 truck engine with the correct looking file, flashed by my local Cat dealer (according to the number).

The reason Cat in Maryland knew that someone else flashed it is because I didn’t change the tool number when I did his. I intentionally make everything look stock so dealer kool-aid drinking parts changers don’t puff their chest up and beg for a treat from their boss because they “caught one”. Take the money, bolt the turbo on and stfu. Like the one out west that wouldn’t replace the ecm on a Pete glider because they said it’s not legal. Smfh
Old 11-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #20071
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Just because the customer isn’t set up to take advantage of that charger doesn’t mean the parts offered don’t offer improvements.
This is true but in this particular case I would say it was an unneeded upsale.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #20072
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Uh huh, so what’s dealer protocol when a truck comes in and you try and update it to the latest and greatest calibration, and you can’t flash the ecm no matter how many laptops you try?

Or the SDP that’s deleted and your dealer tool number is the last one to make system changes?

Would your dealer put an injector in my truck? It’s a CJP C18 truck engine with the correct looking file, flashed by my local Cat dealer (according to the number).

The reason Cat in Maryland knew that someone else flashed it is because I didn’t change the tool number when I did his. I intentionally make everything look stock so dealer kool-aid drinking parts changers don’t puff their chest up and beg for a treat from their boss because they “caught one”. Take the money, bolt the turbo on and stfu. Like the one out west that wouldn’t replace the ecm on a Pete glider because they said it’s not legal. Smfh
Exactly. I need a part, that's it. Put it on and get paid.

I could care less what CAT says about the file in our ECM, as that engine and ECM had 28K hours on it when we had it rebuilt for that truck...now has over 40K. If they think they would offer me any REAL warranty on it, then they are delusional...they would fight tooth and nail for any claim filed even before we tuned it.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #20073
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Well, then don't take your modified equipment to cat dealers, who are all being audited by the epa.
It would be cheaper to have John buy the ecm, configure it and ship it across the country than to fight with a dealer about the legality of it.
As I said in my previous post, I cannot complete repairs. I can't detain your property. Who defines "complete"? Is it 70% repaired when it's "towed away"? 98%?$250 tow bill to get it out of my line of sight seems reasonable to absolve my liability in the matter.
Quit pissing and moaning about the complexity and expense of everything dealer related when you are admittedly part of what got us to this point.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 11-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #20074
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Part of it stems from the EPA settlement in the 90s when all the engine makers were caught cheating.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #20075
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Well, then don't take your modified equipment to cat dealers, who are all being audited by the epa.
It would be cheaper to have John buy the ecm, configure it and ship it across the country than to fight with a dealer about the legality of it.
As I said in my previous post, I cannot complete repairs. I can't detain your property. Who defines "complete"? Is it 70% repaired when it's "towed away"? 98%?$250 tow bill to get it out of my line of sight seems reasonable to absolve my liability in the matter.
Quit pissing and moaning about the complexity and expense of everything dealer related when you are admittedly part of what got us to this point.

Funny thing is we know people who own shops that have been visited by the epa, they were told as long as the repair is on something that isn’t emission related that was deleted there are no requirements by the EPA that the ship fix the disabled emission equipment.

If a truck comes in for injector replacement, that’s what you do, nothing you have to do for that job involves anything that would have been modified if a truck were deleted.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #20076
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Funny thing is we know people who own shops that have been visited by the epa, they were told as long as the repair is on something that isn’t emission related that was deleted there are no requirements by the EPA that the ship fix the disabled emission equipment.

If a truck comes in for injector replacement, that’s what you do, nothing you have to do for that job involves anything that would have been modified if a truck were deleted.

Exactly, if I take any truck to your shop Biggy for a clutch, wheel seal or even a turbo the fact that it’s deleted or tuned is none of you or your shops concern. There is no reason to even look for evidence because your are not directly working on any part that has been “tampered” with. Friend that was visited by the EPA asked if he could replace a head gasket on a deleted truck. The answer was as long as you don’t have to removed any modified piece doing the repair then it’s not your problem. But if for instance you would need to remove the EGR cooler to do the job and that truck already had it removed you would legally have to reinstall one to make it legal for you to complete the repair.

So this dealer BS about “we can’t put wiper blades on your truck because our mouth breathing parts changer found evidence that someone tampered with your ecm. Or “If we change the oil we will get fined” is laughable.

Plenty of glider engines have been overhauled with less than stock ecm files by local Cat shop, left with full warranty and the same file they had when they left. No one batted an eye so no the shop is not required to flash the ecm when they come in like I’ve heard before.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #20077
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
This isn’t personal you’re just the voice of the dealership shop here.

Chris’s truck needed a turbo, they didn’t need a lecture. Fix the truck, take the money and sthu. Dealer shops get a chub whenever they can void a warranty.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #20078
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
The problem I'm facing is that I can't competitively price an overhaul because cat has taken the stance that the ECM must be verified un-tampered. Nearly all of them have had in-licensed ET connected to them in their lifetime, so I have to install an ECM to grant them warranty. The only reason they were doing business with us was for the warranty, not because we were cheap.

And you are right, it's nonsense to throw flags over chassis or power train work.

I'm not a legal expert on this, so take it for what it is. It's my understanding (because I've been told repeatedly) that the warranty cannot be "voided".
We can decline warranty on a failure the can be attributed to the modification. This really comes down to anything power cylinder related. With that said, oil pumps, water pumps, thermostats, oil coolers, can't have their warranty "voided" unless they themselves have been modified.
The expectation is that the customer will take the action needed to restore their coverage.

I'd gladly take your money and stfu. The problem is just this last week, we were asked why one of the TEPS dealers in our AOR was selling so many marine cams and big injectors. Someone is paying a bit more attention than usual.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #20079
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Most dealer “in spec” overhauls are laughable anyway. U need turbos, oil cooler, etc that aren’t even bad to get the warranty, then set liners to .003 and reuse head bolts again. When it pops it gets denied cause the ecm mileage doesn’t exactly match the dash cause of a bum speed sensor or some other kind of like inaccuracy. Dealers can stick it
Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #20080
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
so...my pos now has a huge opil leak on the huei pump...could I get an upgrade on the ecm if I take it in to have it fixed....I haven't looked into it yet to do it myself....its a mess..and the trailer weighs 10k..gross is about 25..it just don't accelerate any better than my dodge..altho it goes down the road a lot f'n better..no comaprsion..bt its slow to speed...can I just unbolt the air comp and the huei to fix the leak or is there more involved..timing ot an other bs in removing them..i got the rest of it long as a key or gear don't fall in or lose time when I take em off...

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...