Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > NADM
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #41
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
You could make a ring with a bore the same as the max exducer. That would simplify measurement down to go or no go just like pluging the cover. But you would still need to pull the cover.

The best thought I have about that is that say the top 5 must stay after the class and pull the cover or forfeit. Still a pain. The plug is not perfect but it is so much more freindly to the tech guy.

I wonder if you couldn't make some internal calipers in like an "X" and the indicator be out of the turbo. Slip them in, open them up, take the measurement. If there is question, then the cover could be pulled, and external go/no go gage.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #42
JOHNBOY

Name: JOHNBOY
Title: ZF6 Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I wonder if you couldn't make some internal calipers in like an "X" and the indicator be out of the turbo. Slip them in, open them up, take the measurement. If there is question, then the cover could be pulled, and external go/no go gage.

What your talking about is called an Indical. They do exist but I doubt you could measure the wheel with the cover still on with one. Then you get in to the wheels with odd number blades.
Originally Posted by Gale Banks
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #43
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
What your talking about is called an Indical. They do exist but I doubt you could measure the wheel with the cover still on with one. Then you get in to the wheels with odd number blades.
I figured with small enough points, you could get pretty close, if there was a doubt, then just pull the cover.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #44
TrailerproPop

Name: TrailerproPop
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The award for the best post in a thread goes to.....................NWPADMAX
Very close for second.......................OSUDuramax.

Sleddy....... For gosh sakes, leave the turbo rules alone, you have stock in a turbo company, or what?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #45
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Duvall View Post
leave it be!! Its not broke why fix it!!!
It is broke dude! 2.6 is now 3.0... We have been talking about changing it at Show-Me Smokers as well. My personal opinion is 2.6 should be 2.6 inducer and 2.6 at the compressor wheel. Let these stepped chargers run 2.8 OEM driveline and that will keep them from having to run against Super Street trucks. I say CHANGE IT!! 2.6 needs to be 2.6 non bushed measured at the wheel!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #46
rickFPP

Name: rickFPP
Title: Promoter USA-EAST
Member`s Gallery
at USA-EAST the rule is quite simple:

ONLY SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS ARE PERMITTED. THE TURBO INDUCER MAY BE NO LARGER THAN 2.6 INCHES NATIVE IN DIAMETER AND WILL BE CHECKED AT THE OFFICIAL’S DISCRETION WITH CALIPERS or A PLUG MEASURING 2.650. NO BUSHING OF THE INDUCER IS PERMITTED.

we have run our 2.6 class twice so far this year. my techs tell me that they have checked 'almost all' of the trucks that have competed (about 30 different trucks). and we always check the top three.

is this too simple???

Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #47
Bad-Duvall

Name: Bad-Duvall
Title: MOST HATED
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
It is broke dude! 2.6 is now 3.0... We have been talking about changing it at Show-Me Smokers as well. My personal opinion is 2.6 should be 2.6 inducer and 2.6 at the compressor wheel. Let these stepped chargers run 2.8 OEM driveline and that will keep them from having to run against Super Street trucks. I say CHANGE IT!! 2.6 needs to be 2.6 non bushed measured at the wheel!
So if i were to take my 3in wheel and have it cut down to fit into my 2.6 bore 1/4in its going to make all the differance in the world?? I think not more than 50hp talk to a turbo bulider. they will tell you the same thing

Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #48
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So if i were to take my 3in wheel and have it cut down to fit into my 2.6 bore 1/4in its going to make all the differance in the world?? I think not more than 50hp talk to a turbo bulider. they will tell you the same thing
Some of those turbo builders are taking in big money for 50hp.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #49
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickFPP View Post

ONLY SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS ARE PERMITTED. THE TURBO INDUCER MAY BE NO LARGER THAN 2.6 INCHES NATIVE IN DIAMETER AND WILL BE CHECKED AT THE OFFICIAL’S DISCRETION WITH CALIPERS or A PLUG MEASURING 2.650. NO BUSHING OF THE INDUCER IS PERMITTED.

we have run our 2.6 class twice so far this year. my techs tell me that they have checked 'almost all' of the trucks that have competed (about 30 different trucks). and we always check the top three.

is this too simple???

No, Rick, it's not too simple.....It's actually very close to NADM's rules.

The problem is, there is a loophole in this rule the way it is written. You can run a 3" wheel and just counterbore the cover so that a plug won't go in. That meets the letter of the rule, but the intent of the rule is (presumably) to limit people from running "faked out" 3" chargers. I personally believe this is bad for the growth of the class, but I am but one voice and only time will tell. If it works out fine, great.

The precedent has been set to legalize "fake" 2.6" chargers, so the best thing to do is leave it as it is, even if the true 2.6" charger guys are getting their butts whipped. Too dang bad for them, I guess.

There should not be a question in anyone's mind that a big charger in sheep's clothing works very well. If you are running a true 2.6", you are already behind the curve.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #50
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
We talked about the go/no go exducer limit in 2.6 this year. We were going to have everyone get their turbo pre teched and measure the exduce at a 110mm limit with 1/4" inside the inducer. I think its a good idea.....but some people didnt like it, and it was dropped.

Basically every turbo wouyld HAVE to get the cover pulled, measure the exducer, if it passed it was wax sealed. All the tech had to do it see if the wax was disturbed, plug the turbo...bang, thats it. I liked the idea to level the playing feild, and to keep BIG $$$ trucks away from the normal guys!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #51
HILLBILLYPRIDE

Name: HILLBILLYPRIDE
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
IMO i think for tech propose just set the inducer bore to a 2.6. i know when i am at the pulls i dont want to take stuff apart or work on any thing its just for fun

Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #52
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
You can run your finger inside the turbo and feel for a step. If there is a step there, then have the participant pull the cover, or not pull in that class. If they pull the cover, then you can use the OD 2.6 bore gage.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #53
GRotman

Name: GRotman
Title: Chief Indian
Member`s Gallery
I don't see why this is always turns into a "bash the turbo shops" for making what the consumer is asking for. Custom chargers cost more money because there is extra machine work and R&D into custom chargers. If there was no demand for them they would not be made.
Truthfully everyone wants a custom charger, they just don't want anyone else to have one. Such is life when it comes to any motorsport....he with the most money wins.

ENGINEERED DIESEL
visit us @ www.engineered-diesel.com

Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #54
outlaw99

Name: outlaw99
Member`s Gallery
i know i ran a 3.0 charger on my truck last year and made xxx amount of horsepower i put the 2.8 plug in the charger and made 11 less hp the fact is even if it is bushed it will make damn near the same amount of horsepower.. for god sakes its forced air.... a bushing is stupid its just a way to run a huge turbo and make it pass tech...

Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #55
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickFPP View Post

is this too simple???
So what was the point of this post?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #56
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
50Hp is a lot when your talking about a 2.6 dude!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #57
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
You can run your finger inside the turbo and feel for a step. If there is a step there, then have the participant pull the cover, or not pull in that class. If they pull the cover, then you can use the OD 2.6 bore gage.
Agreed, why cant you plug the inducer and ensure the wheel doesnt come out of it. Feel and make sure there is no gradual slope or step and bingo. Its done. No reason to pull the housings.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #58
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRotman View Post
I don't see why this is always turns into a "bash the turbo shops" for making what the consumer is asking for. Custom chargers cost more money because there is extra machine work and R&D into custom chargers. If there was no demand for them they would not be made.
Truthfully everyone wants a custom charger, they just don't want anyone else to have one. Such is life when it comes to any motorsport....he with the most money wins.
To me it has nothing to do with the turbo shops. Its up to them to build what we want. If I call and say I want a 4" wheel and 2.6 inducer on the compressor. Thats my choice. Their job is to say. Aint gonna work but I will build it for you. Whoever thinks its the turbo builders fault is nuts. Got to make a living.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #59
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
Agreed, why cant you plug the inducer and ensure the wheel doesnt come out of it. Feel and make sure there is no gradual slope or step and bingo. Its done. No reason to pull the housings.
What if the tech has fat fingers that dont fit between the blades?????

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #60
JOHNBOY

Name: JOHNBOY
Title: ZF6 Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
No, Rick, it's not too simple.....It's actually very close to NADM's rules.

The problem is, there is a loophole in this rule the way it is written. You can run a 3" wheel and just counterbore the cover so that a plug won't go in. That meets the letter of the rule, but the intent of the rule is (presumably) to limit people from running "faked out" 3" chargers. I personally believe this is bad for the growth of the class, but I am but one voice and only time will tell. If it works out fine, great.

The precedent has been set to legalize "fake" 2.6" chargers, so the best thing to do is leave it as it is, even if the true 2.6" charger guys are getting their butts whipped. Too dang bad for them, I guess.

There should not be a question in anyone's mind that a big charger in sheep's clothing works very well. If you are running a true 2.6", you are already behind the curve.
I agree with on the stepped housing thing. Heck I made one just incase I ever feel the need to run 2.6". Doubt I will. Outlawing them will not stop 3" turbos from showing up. Instead of stepping the housing you just recontuor the wheel. Now you can have a Big 100mm+ exducer wheel to move the big air and have true 2.6 inducer with a smooth cover. All about the coin.

Exducer limits make such good sense for limiting power but are such a pain to check. The spec turbo idea has good merit. It does not matter what engine you put the turbo it can only move so much air. That air limits power. But then everyone would need to buy a new turbo.
Originally Posted by Gale Banks
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Closed Thread