Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #21
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
My '06 has 2 air bag recalls. I am taking my chance with them than taking it into the dealer.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 12-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #22
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Did this really happen?
Unfortunately so.

I’m going to try and get the relay and harness to do myself. Much less stress.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Unfortunately so.

... do myself.....
There you go.
I have a '97 Grand Cherokee with an open recall for the dangerous gas tank. They want to install a hitch and give me a $100.00 visa gift card. Nope.
My '08 SRT8 has a recall for an ignition switch issue. Also nope.

I would rather live in fear of catching on fire than give my vehicle to one of the dealerships " qualified techs".

Old 12-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #24
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
There you go.

I have a '97 Grand Cherokee with an open recall for the dangerous gas tank. They want to install a hitch and give me a $100.00 visa gift card. Nope.

My '08 SRT8 has a recall for an ignition switch issue. Also nope.

I would rather live in fear of catching on fire than give my vehicle to one of the dealerships " qualified techs".

You own not one, but 2 Chrysler vehicles and are worried about the dealership parts changers working on them? Obviously quality craftsmanship has never been a high priority from the date of purchase so why are you worried now?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
You own not one, but 2 Chrysler vehicles and are worried about the dealership parts changers working on them? Obviously quality craftsmanship has never been a high priority from the date of purchase so why are you worried now?
Says Captain Kenworth.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Snedge, the only reason I gave it a go is my ignition harness is burnt up and the overlay kit is unobtainable outside of the dealership, as far as I know. I searched and made phone calls for a few days to no avail.

I knew better, that’s for sure. I’ll try finding it again. Maybe I can make my own if I study the wires enough to understand what I’m doing.

I’ve never been a dodge guy and this truck is nothing special to look at, but man I really enjoy it. A lot. First diesel and I got hooked I guess.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Im assuming that that truck must be stone stock or pickup dealers work on a totally different set of rules compared to a big rig dealer. Even a rig that old brought to a dealer with the slightest alteration they would not only not do the recall, theyd try to make you tow it out of the yard.
Although the mechanics misteps sound in line all the same

Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #28
99GreenCummins

Name: 99GreenCummins
Title: That guy....
Member`s Gallery
I'm impressed that they actually did it for no cost. I was in Ag equipment service for a while, most "recalls" they had were free for a period of time(1-3 yrs) and then customer paid.

And just my opinion since I worked in a similar industry and job, if you came in kicking and screaming like that, I would have fixed the equipment and then told you to pound sand. I understand accidents and human error happens but screaming gets you no where with a service department. I had way more respect and would help a customer that explained the issue and his concern than screaming and drawing attention to make us try and look bad.
1999 Ram 2500,6 spd, typical mods

Old 12-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #29
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GreenCummins View Post
I'm impressed that they actually did it for no cost. I was in Ag equipment service for a while, most "recalls" they had were free for a period of time(1-3 yrs) and then customer paid.

And just my opinion since I worked in a similar industry and job, if you came in kicking and screaming like that, I would have fixed the equipment and then told you to pound sand. I understand accidents and human error happens but screaming gets you no where with a service department. I had way more respect and would help a customer that explained the issue and his concern than screaming and drawing attention to make us try and look bad.

Agreed, I’m not going to fly off the handle for a mistake. Not many places will acting like a ass get you the desired result. Catch someone on the wrong day and you might need new teeth, or get an open can of sardines in your air vent.

I know in the HD world people have put beer cans in the exhaust to make a rattle, plastic sandwich bags in the fuel tanks or cardboard (done to a school bus fleet) that costs piles of money to find.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #30
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Way I see it, the fix for a problem was exacerbated by the repairman, whom you would expect to know his job.
The result was nearly what the fix was supposed to prevent.
I would have been pissed off and letting them in on that fact, too.

Mark.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #31
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Haha new teeth. Funny stuff. Throttle hung wide open on a public roadway. Not sure what part of that you two are confused on. I don’t see how me raising hell was not completely called for. Someone could have been hurt or killed. End of story there.

I expect jobs to be done proper. I was raised to do things right and guess that’s what I expect from others. Can’t help but laugh thinking about someone going in there all calm. Hey guys. Sorry to bother. My throttle hung ever so slightly. Just wanted to mention it! Yelling isn’t warranted for what happened to me but me raising a little hell warrants someone assaulting me or sabotaging my vehicle? GTFO guy.

Unless you own the place you most certainly better be kissing ass when a customer experiences a potentially deadly situation that your tech created. Which is exactly what happened. I raised hell but in no way disrespected the manager. He was completely understanding at how serious the situation was. So I guess we can be done with the hypothetical situations.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #32
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Way I see it, the fix for a problem was exacerbated by the repairman, whom you would expect to know his job.
The result was nearly what the fix was supposed to prevent.
I would have been pissed off and letting them in on that fact, too.

Mark.
I’m glad most in here feel the same. I cringe thinking my family could have been with me and it could have been raining or so on. It could have been bad. Period.

Some people are just too much of a hard ass to get yelled at when they or those under them fuk completely up. And it sucks when those types of people are in charge.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #33
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
You guys completely incapable of thinking in an emergency and maybe turning off the key or talking it out of gear?

Probably shouldn’t try and get a pilots license because the FAA examiner will give you an engine failure while wearing goggles that will block your vision. Better have your chit together because screaming and yelling is going to get a failure.

Not saying you shouldn’t be mad but my kids figured out long ago that temper tantrums get you no where.

And your dead wrong if you think just because someone works somewhere and is not the owner means that they are required to kiss your butt your dead wrong.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #34
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Lol. How in the hell did we get to aircraft? So you’re a pilot that’s cool. I’ll play.

Now let’s say you need to bring your plane in and I’m the a&p that works on it. I repair your brakes and leave parts out that I pulled off or fail to use safety wire somewhere. You have a locked wheel event landing at 70 or so and do a hard loop around or possibly an end over (prop strike, engine toast). You mad yet? Probably not going be raising hell to anyone actually. You’re lawyered up and I’d be scared for my freedom as the mech that fuked up.

And you’re right. You don’t have to be the owner. But at this big name dealer ship that prides itself on customer care, yea you better make it right when it’s something so blatant and dangerous. Just bumping neutral and turning my Oh so smooth dodge ignition switch off an on at 70mph was just peachy. Now put your wife or mom or kid in the drivers seat. I have zero patience for dumb negligence.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #35
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
As a service supervisor:
Being irate firmly removes my interest in making concessions to remedy the situation.
In my opinion, to make it right, correct the issue at hand, offer you some swag, hats, consumables that fit the truck like filters, maybe brake pads, fluids.
We are all human, and as young people tend to be, they don't comprehend the repercussion of their poor workmanship.

Screaming and yelling halts learning.

FMVSS safety recalls have no term. If it can be done, it must be.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #36
bateman

Member`s Gallery
And just to make it clear while we’re using aircraft as a comparison. In the handful of places I’ve worked on aircraft, you will absolutely be handed your ass for anything even remotely close to what went down with my truck.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #37
bateman

Member`s Gallery
I totally understand that you will get more being nice. Guess this just wasn’t the time in my mind lol. Is what it is. I feel better about it and maybe it will help teach the mechanic how to not suck.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #38
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Nah.
We must coddle our youth until at least 30.
It's the liberal-progressive way.

Mark.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Snedge, the only reason I gave it a go is my ignition harness is burnt up and the overlay kit is unobtainable outside of the dealership, as far as I know. I searched and made phone calls for a few days to no avail.
I'm not judging you, just sharing my opinion.
I do understand your anger. It's not like you took your vehicle there voluntarily, you were notified that there was a recall, and invited to bring your truck in for the free " fix ".

PS: I like your dog. Do you still have it?

Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #40
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Lol. How in the hell did we get to aircraft? So you’re a pilot that’s cool. I’ll play.

Now let’s say you need to bring your plane in and I’m the a&p that works on it. I repair your brakes and leave parts out that I pulled off or fail to use safety wire somewhere. You have a locked wheel event landing at 70 or so and do a hard loop around or possibly an end over (prop strike, engine toast). You mad yet? Probably not going be raising hell to anyone actually. You’re lawyered up and I’d be scared for my freedom as the mech that fuked up.

And you’re right. You don’t have to be the owner. But at this big name dealer ship that prides itself on customer care, yea you better make it right when it’s something so blatant and dangerous. Just bumping neutral and turning my Oh so smooth dodge ignition switch off an on at 70mph was just peachy. Now put your wife or mom or kid in the drivers seat. I have zero patience for dumb negligence.

My wife isn’t a dumbass and can hit the brakes and knock it out of gear. Her car in HS broke the frame while driving, didn’t die in a crash. Had a loaded semi trailer come unhooked because of a faulty 5th wheel that Holland paid for, guess I should have stormed in and showed my Azz because of the “women and children”. Act like an adult and handle your issues like one.

If your brakes on your 25yr old truck can’t stop it maybe it’s unsafe for your “mom, wife or kids to drive”

Closed Thread