Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
New motor build for the puller

Well I started the build process for the new motor. Y'all know that my last setup broke the cam and bent some valves. It had stock so pistons. So anyway I started off with cam research and contacted Hamilton Zach was super good to deal with and set me up with one of his new steel cams with the 220/240 grinds. I also picked up springs, keepers and retainers.

Next I needed info on pistons. Scheid of course said Aries but I think 2000$+ is a bit much for my weekend warrior considering I didn't make it to one single national event. Plus I was running stockers that I cut the reliefs my self on a Bridgeport mill and they seemed to hold up just fine. So the middle of the road I settled on is stock 04.5-07 commonrail pistons that I will have 4 .120 valve reliefs cut which should put me in the 15:1-15.5:1 compression range. Once they are cut I will get them balanced and coated.

Now for the block. I had the bores checked and they were still perfect for standard piston. All i have to do here is hone the cylindars to be ready to go The cam tunnel is getting bored for cam bearings to go with the steel cam. Check the line hone for the mains and it should be ready to go by the way this was a new block from scheids and is a storm block. It has 14mm headstuds and their firering treatment. It does not hav 14mm main studs but I put the 12pm ARP studs in. Any comments or suggestion on the smaller main studs? I also have the Haisley girdle plate to help it out.

Crank, rods and pistons will all be balanced

Anybody have any comments good or bad about how I'm putting the bottom end together. I will update as things keep coming along. I'm wanting a good runner that will also be fairly consistant and trouble free for next season.

Tim

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Cetane_addict

Name: Cetane_addict
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Polished rods and good rod bolts maybe?

Gonna fill the block some to run 3.0? May help with rigidity.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
I have the h-11 rod bolts. I forgot to mention that. I'm am curious about partially filling the block. The problem is what I want to do with the truck. Our local class is the old 2.8 rules except for being a 2.6. But most of our pulls also have some sorta open classes to and we like to run them also. But I would still like to be able to pull 2.6 at scheids and ts. The national events don't allow the filled blocks do they?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
BigB82789

Name: BigB82789
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What made you go with cr pistons? I've never seen s truck run good with em that wasn't a cr and they're expensive.

01 Dodge

91 Dodge

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB82789 View Post
What made you go with cr pistons? I've never seen s truck run good with em that wasn't a cr and they're expensive.
Well, I wanted the bigger bowl to allow me more room for timing. If I stuck with stockers I would have to do more machine work to them to set them up for what I want. The new ones I just need to have the reliefs cut. I wanted something alittle better than stock but I couldn't justify spending the money for Ross or aries which are both over 2 grand. These are 1200$ That might not seem like much to some people but right now my wife is going back to school to get her nursing degree and not working very much so I don't have as much free cash as I used too. But I also was reading some threads on here and seen where Smokem was talking about these so I just decieded to go with them.

What would your suggestion be for some ppump 24v pistons?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Cetane_addict

Name: Cetane_addict
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
The national events don't allow the filled blocks do they?
I don't see why not. I can see shying away from a billet block, but filling the factory casting should be fine. You don't have to fill it to the top, either.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
BigB82789

Name: BigB82789
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
Well, I wanted the bigger bowl to allow me more room for timing. If I stuck with stockers I would have to do more machine work to them to set them up for what I want. The new ones I just need to have the reliefs cut. I wanted something alittle better than stock but I couldn't justify spending the money for Ross or aries which are both over 2 grand. These are 1200$ That might not seem like much to some people but right now my wife is going back to school to get her nursing degree and not working very much so I don't have as much free cash as I used too. But I also was reading some threads on here and seen where Smokem was talking about these so I just decieded to go with them.

What would your suggestion be for some ppump 24v pistons?
I think the factory style pistons are fine. Something like the Mahle stock replacement. That or QSB 480's.

01 Dodge

91 Dodge

Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
i think a mahle marine piston would work just fine. you can buy them coated for about $650 a set.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
CSnyder

Name: CSnyder
Title: Snyder-Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
Plans sound great and I wouldnt worry too much about the 12mm mains for your goals. What are you planning for rings?

Ill 2nd the Mahle marines also.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
RobH

Name: RobH
Member`s Gallery
I thought the rules used to say, the block must circulate coolant, but i just looked through them and did not see anything about that anymore.

02 Chevy CC/SB
Caged Hooker
St Joe diesel, Precision turbo, Suncoast, Banks, Profab headers
10.72@128 #2only with twins

08 Gmc 3500 dually

Old 09-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Another reason I went with these pistons was when I looked at the Ross piston they were a wide mouth bowl that looked very similar to the 04.5 pistons. And I have to tell the truth here, I got a damn good deal on these cause they were bought to rebuild a motor and the guy changed his plans so they ended up costing me 800$ for pistons, rings and pins. I thought I couldn't hardly turn them down.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan05 View Post
i think a mahle marine piston would work just fine. you can buy them coated for about $650 a set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I thought the rules used to say, the block must circulate coolant, but i just looked through them and did not see anything about that anymore.
The way I thought it used to read is it had to circulate coolant but by that you could run it through the head and that would meet the rules

Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Bowersock's old motor, injectors make a bit of a difference.

Last edited by Smokem; 09-18-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Smokem

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Something like the Mahle stock replacement. That or QSB 480's.
Mahle does offer a Marine version of the VP piston. Curious to hear what injector you would use with the QSB piston since it is only a 56mm bowl?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
nick2001

Name: nick2001
Member`s Gallery
I think most of the rules for filled blocks are worded with the term "factory radiator" in stock location. So I would say if you fill the block, partially or full, you would be legal if your still running the radiator in stock location. Just use it to run coolant to the head.

Also x2 on the injectors being used?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size. not a real good picture but it's what we have run all year and I think motor runs pretty strong.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery

that's 5500 on a auto gov. That motor is actually the one I got off of Matt Jones last fall I just changed the cam and cut the pistons

Last edited by jones95runner; 09-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Mahle does offer a Marine version of the VP piston. Curious to hear what injector you would use with the QSB piston since it is only a 56mm bowl?
Anything with cr infront of the name makes me gun shy but are they the best option for pp24(not talking arias or ross) or is the marine malhe vp piston better?

Last edited by kleann; 09-20-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
Smokem

Member`s Gallery
Depends on the spray orifice sizing and static timing that is desired.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Depends on the spray orifice sizing and static timing that is desired.
What timing on the malhe would they be good for with 150* spray angle?

Closed Thread