Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
dvst8r

Name: dvst8r
Title: Unobtainium
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Welcome to 90% of the diesel performance shops out there.
I think it is more like 98% well at least in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
If i had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if i had some eggs.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Welcome to 90% of the diesel performance shops out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post

I despise R&D that is done unknowingly on a customers dime. I have been that customer too many times.
I agree 100%

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Just make up a 3 letter acronym
usually the last two are DP.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
7.5stroker

Name: 7.5stroker
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
i think he does know what he is doing. he is just doing his homework to find out more on how to make a high powered/reliable pulling/street truck. and dont say that is impossible. because anything is possible. and i know exactly what gearing he will be using. he will be running a cummins powered ford with a zf6 with 3:73 gears. with the correct tuning, injectors, air intake, and turbine he will be able to run 3800-5000 rpms down the truck. how about we get back to answering his original question and stop arguing what he knows and doesnt knows. whether or not the truck will run hard no matter what. how do i know? oh lets just say im the key to this operation.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
dvst8r

Member`s Gallery
With enough time and money anything is possible.

Sure it may go down the track at 3800-5000rpm, but I doubt from what has been listed that it will make peak power above ~3000-3500rpm. Making it redundant to go down the track at 3800rpm+.

One of the few times I will ever agree with Houge on anything, but the head shop chosen is a joke if they claim better gains from polishing, there is no power in a diesel from polishing, if they don't have a flow bench look elsewhere. I also agree that a good chunk of the funds should be spent on the head.

You are better off to put another $500-$1000 into head work, and run a stock cam, then the other way around.

Quote:

Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #26
7.5stroker

Name: 7.5stroker
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
advice taken. im sure he will dyno it somwwhere and find its true max hp rand and then find the gearing ratio to match that rpm range and still rip down the track. but lets say all work is done to head including custom intake and yadda yadda, then updating to a bigger cam. what would he go with? what size and what not?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Sure it may go down the track at 3800-5000rpm, but I doubt from what has been listed that it will make peak power above ~3000-3500rpm. Making it redundant to go down the track at 3800rpm+.

One of the few times I will ever agree with Houge on anything, but the head shop chosen is a joke if they claim better gains from polishing, there is no power in a diesel from polishing, if they don't have a flow bench look elsewhere. I also agree that a good chunk of the funds should be spent on the head.

You are better off to put another $500-$1000 into head work, and run a stock cam, then the other way around.
What is odd, there have been dynos to prove otherwise. Stock head to maxed out head, very little hp difference.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
12VRoush

Name: 12VRoush
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
7.5 stroker . You being the key to the operation. Ok, you win makes us all feel better. These guys especially the ones in this thread know a thing or two. This is comp d. I see your new, welcome. But on that note listen, you'll learn something.

This ain't cummins forum.

-Clinton

96 12V ECLB - New paint, just wish the phrase "look good run good" was always true

03 Ford CCLB Puller- "How 'Bout That"

Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
COMP461

Name: COMP461
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
With the new CR builds we are seeing peak power above 4500 and good power well out to 5400 rpms. This is with good head work, and well thought out cams and high compression “above 19.0 to 1.

As to making power with stock heads, that would be contradicted by the huge money being spent on R&D programs by the big pulling engine shops on heads and intake manifolds.

If you have the air flow, you can make power at a higher rpm, which means less cylinder pressure and torque overload, this makes for a more durable engine program.
Lower boosts needed to move air in to the chamber means lower turbine inlet pressure, and less retained heat.
If you have lover retained heat , and you can tune around low end torque then you can increase efficiency by raising mech compression ratio.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP461 View Post
and you can tune around low end torque then you can increase efficiency by raising mech compression ratio.
This comment, along with your insistance to use a cam profiles with large LSA numbers clearly shows you do not fully understand how sled pulling works.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
This comment, along with your insistance to use a cam profiles with large LSA numbers clearly shows you do not fully understand how sled pulling works.
I do know that those that have embraced this concept are pulling farther then the others in their class.

LSA as a number has zero to do with cam design, it not even a number I look at untill after the cams is ground and I need to fill in a place on the cam card

Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
cummin get it

Name: cummin get it
Title: coal train
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I think he understands but i dont think you do. Your trying to build a competiton pulling engine and you dont know what stock compression is for the engine your building???? Do you really think you should be building anything in the first place? Your going to take someones money and dont know where to start.
16.3 to 1. At least now they now know where they started lol. I agree with you tho 100% I would not take on another persons truck project if I was making post/threads as the OP did. Or the "key to the operation". Good luck to you two though.

01 3.0 pull. Home of scrap iron.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP461 View Post
I do know that those that have embraced this concept are pulling farther then the others in their class.
I see you used the word "others", I also find it interesting you feel overlap is just filling in a place on the cam card.

Last edited by Smokem; 10-31-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
dvst8r

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What is odd, there have been dynos to prove otherwise. Stock head to maxed out head, very little hp difference.
Same can be said about cams.

We went from a more polish then port, to a mid range ported head, and lost over 20psi of boost, for the same power. That was enough to make us believers and are going to a full done head this year.

Quote:

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #35
95-12valve

Name: 95-12valve
Title: What's a CP3?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
I see you used the word "others", I also find it interesting you feel overlap is just filling in a place on the cam card.
What'd you expect, it's Greg...
Big Thanks to SMOKEM!!!
"Do something smart..."

Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
WEBERBUILT

Name: WEBERBUILT
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Obviously i am not building the engine or doing any of the guess work or machining by myself, theres a reason i took it to a reputable machine shop i will give any advice thats put out there but the its not any of your customers so unless you want to help me out a little and give some usable comments to inform me a little better you dont have to comment, im asking questions is that a bad thing... at least im not like alot of people that try to act like they know everything there is to know be respectable and keep your trash talking useless comments to yourself. Next, the customer is as fully involved in this build as me as you can see he commented so you knows every aspect to this situation so i will tell you again i dont care what you think about ANYTHING except how to make this engine run the best it can.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #37
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummin get it View Post
16.3 to 1. At least now they now know where they started lol. I agree with you tho 100% I would not take on another persons truck project if I was making post/threads as the OP did. Or the "key to the operation". Good luck to you two though.
Im glad you can provide a real answer and somewhat understand.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VRoush View Post
7.5 stroker . You being the key to the operation. Ok, you win makes us all feel better. These guys especially the ones in this thread know a thing or two. This is comp d. I see your new, welcome. But on that note listen, you'll learn something.

This ain't cummins forum.

-Clinton
Thank you as well i will listen to any good bit of information given to me but not comments about mespending someone else money.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

The machine shop claimed no gain in polishing just that it woul be lightly polished im sure theres some roughness after porting that can be smoothed out dont be so fast to ridicule and i will listen to anything you have to say...

Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
When I design a cam profile I look at the application and then lay out where I want the events to happen. Next I determine how I want to achieve the maximum area under the curve.

None of that involves the terms “overlap, Lobe separation angle, Intake centerline or even duration”. Those numbers are calculated after the fact to put on the cam card.

The story the dyno tells is what drives my decisions for those calculations.

Closed Thread