2007 5.9 no crank no start

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
Just finished assembling a basket case 48re for a guy. He had the truck towed from another shop that he had a falling out with. Anyways the batteries were low for a couple months but they seem to be holding a charge. I’m not getting any power to the signal wire for the starter no codes either.

I’ve been moving the gear selector back and forth while holding the key in the crank position but not even 1 click from the starter. There is a large ground that was broken off by somebody previously. I put a jumper wire with an alligator clip on it to a clean spot on the frame still nothing. The truck has efi live, I checked the plugs at the back of the engine and they are all plugged in tight. Direction towards the next things to check would be awesome

Attachments

• 77ECF9C8-456E-4B6D-BCF8-E2DDC6BEBC14.jpg
    77ECF9C8-456E-4B6D-BCF8-E2DDC6BEBC14.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 0
Does it show the gear selector?
Have you bypassed the starter to check it's functioning?

I'd check all the grounds you can find.
Also, the starter solenoid relies on the TIPM for a signal.
Since the trans was out, also check that the neutral safety switch is not broken.
Given that it was previously dis-assembled and you don't know where they have been, I'd duck my head up under the dash and see if the pedal bypass loop (green connector, with yellow wire) is still in it's place.

Mark.

Last edited:
The key fob is working either for the power locks or panic button. The viper remote start makes the starter click and it tried to turnover. The remote start also can work the locks. I checked the battery in the key and it has 3v which is good.

I’ll check the stuff you mentioned also

The gears are showing up on the display and match. I tried cranking it while moving the shifter through the gears as well. One thing that did happen is after I got the starter to try and almost turn over I climbed under the truck and put a screw driver to the flex plate and moved it. I heard the starter pop back into place.

If the starter tries, no sense looking under the dash for the green connector I mentioned.
It sounds like bad connections, or weak batteries.
These CR trucks absolutely kill batteries when they sit for long periods, a weak or dead cell in one is a big concern.

Mark.

The gears are showing up on the display and match. I tried cranking it while moving the shifter through the gears as well. One thing that did happen is after I got the starter to try and almost turn over I climbed under the truck and put a screw driver to the flex plate and moved it. I heard the starter pop back into place.
The starter didn't disengage because there was not enough residual flywheel motion to let it draw the drive back.

Sounds more like gounds, low/bad batteries OR corroded(internally) battery cables.

Or bad starter. :D

Mark.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I’ll pull the batteries out of my 06’. How do you reset the tipm and will it mess the efi live tunes ? The truck also has an edge hooked up for monitoring the egts and boost

I think Bob said re SEAT the TIPM connections.
Basically disconnect the batteries and unplug all the TIPM connections, then plug them back in.
It might help if there's some corrosion on some pins or connectors.

Mark.

Well hopefully it hasn’t failed. The truck has been sitting since spring with the batteries connected. I charged them for a day 12v@2a , unhooked them last night and just checked them. Driver side is 11.4v and passenger side is 7.6. I’ll throw my batteries in tomorrow evening and see if that works.

It was the batteries . Thanks for letting me waste your time !!! Seriously though thanks for the help

Glad you got it sorted out! :)

Wish my 2014's problem were that simple.
Figured out the TIPM is on it's way out today.

Mark.

That’s a bummer. This is the 1st cr I’ve got to play with that had more than a tuner on it. Efi live, 10mm fleece pump, 66mm and a fass. Makes my stock mega cab feel pretty slow.

Back