Oil cooler question

morkable

Just Over Broke
I have recently installed a edge insight. I have noticed about a 12 degree difference between eot and ect. Is this acceptable?

At what work load? I around town or slower highway speeds it is less than 7 but at over 70 mph is when it starts to go up

At what work load? I around town or slower highway speeds it is less than 7 but at over 70 mph is when it starts to go up

Tranny temp will do the same. Think about it. Workin faster,moving fluid faster. Less time to cool. Etc.. make sense

I realize this. What I am asking as to where the level is where you worry about this

Depends. IMO(and my opinion differs from a lot of 6.0 owners), I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if you are seeing a 25º delta while cruising around town they may be justified for concern.

And I don't trust digital gauges. I had an Insight that would show a 40º delta while towing and within 2 seconds it would drop down to exactly 10º delta....then back up to 40º.

Install a coolant filter. Drive the truck.

usually oil temp follows coolant temp fairly close. When oil temp starts to climb above coolant temp is when you know that the oil cooler can't keep up or coolant flow through the cooler is restricted.

I just towed my new 5th wheel home from Grande Prairie to Fort Mac, about a 7 - 8 hour drive. Had my tuning on the 8k tow setting. Towed like a champ, EGT's never went over 1300 and I pulled some serious hills. Coolant temp did go up pretty high a couple of times, but it might be a little low, seem to have a bit of a leak in the egr.

The EOT and ECT stayed pretty much within 10 to 13 degrees of each other, which I think considering how hard I was pushing it is fair.

I think though, that when I do the egr delete (which is soon) that I will change the oil cooler at the same time (as a precaution) I do think that the cooling system needs some overhaul too though.

All in all I was very impressed as to how well this truck towed this big biatch of a trailer (it weighs about 13 - 14k empty and I had full holding tanks all the way around)

One question though, what is the danger point for EGT on a 6.0? On the Dodge I felt fairly safe at over 1400 for short bursts.

Thanks all

I just towed my new 5th wheel home from Grande Prairie to Fort Mac, about a 7 - 8 hour drive. Had my tuning on the 8k tow setting. Towed like a champ, EGT's never went over 1300 and I pulled some serious hills. Coolant temp did go up pretty high a couple of times, but it might be a little low, seem to have a bit of a leak in the egr.

The EOT and ECT stayed pretty much within 10 to 13 degrees of each other, which I think considering how hard I was pushing it is fair.

I think though, that when I do the egr delete (which is soon) that I will change the oil cooler at the same time (as a precaution) I do think that the cooling system needs some overhaul too though.

All in all I was very impressed as to how well this truck towed this big biatch of a trailer (it weighs about 13 - 14k empty and I had full holding tanks all the way around)

One question though, what is the danger point for EGT on a 6.0? On the Dodge I felt fairly safe at over 1400 for short bursts.

Thanks all

Based on this information I would say you oil cooler is fine. If you had seen much more of a 15* difference in this situation I would say get an oil cooler an get it quick. I should have specified in my first post, I apologize.

Like you're planning though, when you get the egr stuff done, do an oil cooler and throw some elc in it at the same time. $130 coolant filter wouldn't hurt either, it's peace of mind.

My 6.0 wouldn't go much over 1450-1500 so I can't comment on the egts. It takes longer than a minute to heat soak a piston though. I wouldn't stress. Drive it like it needs to be driven and don't worry about it. My .02 cents.

Thanks for that.. I think I am going to try a short run on a little higher tune just to see how the temps run. I think the little extra HP will keep the ect lower.

Back