Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
RollCoal9000

Name: RollCoal9000
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
48RE rebuild questions

Hi, new to these forums. Did not like the other forum I joined as it seemed to be directed more toward changing clearance light colors.

Rebuilding the 48re out of my work pickup, 2006 Ram 2500. Went through it a couple years ago with a goerend kit. LSS, ran trans out of fluid when heat exchanger blew, with a trailer on. Got it home sat for a while, fixed heat exchanged and continued to drive was messing with line pressure on the stock VB and drilled TC lockup holes, I already knew the TC was dying and trans was beat up so was just messing around with it. Had line pressure turned up an indeterminate amount and going uphill on wet sand in 4x4 WOT toasted the forward clutch patch. Continued to drive this limping transmission till recently truck would stop moving randomly then not move at all.

--Pulled trans, was going to buy one decided to fix it myself when I saw the carnage was not too bad. I found nothing really broken in trans, thrust washers were chewed up not surprising, and front planetary snap ring was partially coming off of shaft.

Going with a 650 HP kit from power driven diesel I think. Low stall triple aermet input VB build kit. Mishimoto cooler. I just have a few questions.

1.) I want to replace all the bushings since they show wear from running it out of fluid. The only ones I can see causing difficulty are in the OD. I'm assuming I can just cut them out with a chisel and freeze the new ones and tap them in?

2.) Front planetary selective snap was coming off intermediate shaft leaving it chewed up like this. I don't think I want to reuse this shaft due to the splines that hold the snap ring on being chewed up on the snap ring side. Would I be okay to run this?

Click the image to open in full size.

3.) OD piston support shows wear where the L/R drum rides on it. Replace or no? Cant feel any scoring and very little play with drum on.

4.) Pump gear clearance was right at the end of the specification on one side only. Run it as is, new gears, or new pump?

5.) I drilled through the case into the sprag race and put 3 roll pins in to try and help keep it in there.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Downtownbrown

Name: Downtownbrown
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Im not an expert by any means but i’ll give my opinon,
1- a nice sharp chisel gets it done, freezing isnt always needed but definentley makes it easier.
2&3- if its questionable id replace it on a transmission im building for someone else, that being said if that was my personal trans the wear on the o/d piston support wouldnt worry me to much, and neither would the intermediate shaft so long as the clearances checked out.
4-i personally like to replace the pump altogether just personal preference
5- never seen someone do that before and not sure what youre asking about it

As for buying a transmission kit i use the firepunk kit a lot and like them, im sure power drivens kit is basically the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Thread