Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #1321
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Busted arse Thursday and Friday night to get the truck finished, all sensors hooked up and seems half the new ones aren't reading either anything or right, working with Altronics on that, can't get the live connection to my laptop to work with their software. Really wish they would let me work on their code.

Got it running friday night and seemed to run good, finished up a few things Friday night and got it loaded. Couldn't use the passenger engine cover because of the flange adapter... that has caused way too many issues. Had to space the fender out about an inch to clear the turbo with washers to bolt it on.

Left the truck at 20 degrees timing, just didn't have time to mess with changing it.

Lined up and started spooling the truck, evidently we bumped the shifter while putting it back together and even though it looked like it was in 4x4 hi, it was in 2wd. Had it spooled to about 20psi when boom.

Thinking I ruptured the water to air intercooler, but really just not sure what broke. When I tried to restart it, was getting greyish smoke like there was water in it. So parked the truck and used my daughter's stock truck for my 2 other runs. Managed to get 4th place out of 7 trucks with it in Class 3. Not too bad for a 17" vacuum pulling 327 in a non vacuum class.

Video of the run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUKSkUN3HWY

Gopro of the run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJeZnFG1g

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #1322
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Man, that sucks, sorry to see that. What kind of air to water cooler did you have?
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #1323
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
It's a frozen boost intercooler that I had a safety blanket made for it at Strouds in OKC, been using this intercooler for around 6 years now. Normally see 60+ psi with it.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #1324
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Did a little checking on the truck. Pulled the pipe from the intercooler to the intake and there was moisture inside it, then ran the water pumps for a little while after scoping the bottom of the intercooler to see that it was dry on the inside. After running a bit, was seeing water starting to gather on the bottom, so I'm assuming since water can get into the air side, that air can get into the water side....

Started the truck right up after it sat for a few days.

Guess I need to see if I can find another intercooler.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #1325
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
You have any pics of your old intercooler with dimensions, Johnnie??

I have a couple laying around here.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #1326
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
If you go on frozen boosts site. I have type 17 in the truck. Looking at moving to type 55.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #1327
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I have one similar to one you have and one similar to the 55. Pretty sure the one I have similar to the 55 is the a 53.

I have plans for them, but, if you need to use one to get you racing, let me know.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #1328
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
A shop that's helping me some is talking to a couple of potential sponsors to see if they can help out on the intercooler and a couple of other parts for the new engine. The next race for me is July 15th that we planned to attend. Hoping to know something in the next week from them or I may just order one after I get back.

I'm heading out of town for a week next Tuesday to take my wife on a driving / camping anniversary adventure. In This Moment Concert in OKC, Pikes Peak in Colorado, Bryce Canyon in UT and the Grand Canyon in Az...

Old 07-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #1329
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Back from Vacation, had a blast. Started off on 3 hours sleep and working a full day. Then drove to the City to see In This Moment in concert at the Diamond ballroom and the 3 opening bands. Then drove to Elk City, OK to spend the night. From there we went to Colorado Springs, toured an extinct volcano on the way and while in CS, camped at Cheyenne Mountain State park for 2 nights. Went to 7 falls and rode the cog train up pikes peak. We then went up 25 to denver and caught 70 west into Utah, then took some remote 2 lane roads down to Bryce canyon and stayed the night there. Spent half a day at Bryce canyon and then drove down to the Grand canyon with a short stop at Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon Dam. Camped out at a commercial campground about 30 miles from the Canyon Park and will never go there again. Place was run down, no fire pits, no grill spots, people were rude, coming in and setting up till well after midnight slamming car doors, shinning lights on our tent, loud.... One couple we met early in the evening opted not to put their tent up and just sleep in there truck with their kid. I slept pretty good with my 9mm beside me after the noise quieted down. I made sure everyone in the park was awake at 5am when I got up...

Grand canyon was pretty awesome, managed to get my wife to hike down into it and put aside her fear of heights and we hiked down about a mile into the canyon and back up and then all around the rim. Left the park about 4 and decided to grab our tent, loose the 12 bucks I'd paid for the 2nd night of camping and get a room in Holbrook AZ, saw a huge meteor crater on the way there. Stayed the night there and then went through the Petrified Forest park, we took our time there and made a bunch of other stops in AZ and NM along the way and managed to stay behind the nasty storm hitting home. Got home at 4:30am. Took the rental car back on the 4th. We had driven it 2969 miles on the trip, plus the 100 to and from the airport where we rented it.

I've spent the last 2 night at the hospital with mom, she's still in here and will hopefully go home tomorrow.

On the truck, ended up ordering another frozenboost cooler, this one's bigger and rated for more psi, still a cheap chinese core though, it comes in tomorrow. Boots and clamps for it will be in monday. My converter shipped out from DPC today and will be here next Tuesday. Need to take the trans apart tomorrow night and check out seals and clutches while it's out of the truck and pick up parts if I need them. Planning on making a race on the 15th in Porter OK if I can get it all together and lined out.

Have been trying to pick up a couple of sponsors to help with a few parts for the new engine, but haven't gotten any takers yet. Block is still at the machine shop and waiting on pistons and rods to be shipped out when they are ready.

Right now I'm not planning on running at Mud down in T town on the 21st and 22nd, spent 3+ hours in a rules meeting this winter over the rules for the classes plus 2 hours of driving time and thought they had the rules lined out for me to run in the limited renegade class. Posted rules don't reflect that. Promotor has said the rules will be fixed, but until I see them updated online not going to bother showing up as his word is crap to me since he lied to me last year about what class I'd run in.

Happy late 4th to everyone.

Us down on the trail at the grand canyon...
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #1330
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
That sounds like a pretty sweet vacation except for the weird camping deal. Hopefully your mom can get well soon. that stinks about the rules thing but it is always something isn't it?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #1331
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, it was a great trip celebrating our 7th anniversary, we didn't want to come back to work. That camp ground just reinforces my dislike of people, they are way too self centered and uncaring of others. Love living in the middle of no where and not having to deal with people if I don't want too.

That big race at TRP has been a mess since they first started. Trying to make it big without knowing what they are doing. First year, the promoter they had was a total ass, tried to disqualify my truck multiple times. Got accused of running an illegal front end, running nitro methane, etc... 2nd year wasn't as bad as I'd raced with the promotor that put it on before. Then last year, damned near beat the hell out of the idiot running it after he started yelling at my wife while we were discussing his inability to remember talking to me about my truck and what class it would run in. He's the same jackass running it this year. Hence, me wanting the rule change in writing.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #1332
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Managed to get the truck back together Friday night at 9pm to race Saturday evening. I had sent the converter off to Phil to have it loosened up and while the converter was gone, peeked into the trans and found the direct clutch pack was burn after 1 pass. Rebuilt it with new clutches and steels. Got the new intercooler mounted in the truck and modified the turbo to intercooler pipe with a 2 1/2" section added into it. Had to build a brand new pipe for the intercooler to intake side. Got all of that together, sensor bungs welded into the new pipe and it all hooked up and sensors installed.

Couldn't get most of the new sensors to read right and ended up putting the my manual pressure gauge back on the trans to test. Not real happy with the altronics data logger software, looks like a 3 year old wrote it, buggy, and doesn't render on the screen right. And getting them to help you out with setup and debugging is a horrible experience.

Race day came and lined up for my first run. Couldn't get the turbo to spool, think I'm just drowning it out with too much fuel, so looking at putting the AFC back onto the pump and working on it to get it dialed in so I can spool it. Never had this issue with my other turbos with the smaller exhaust housings. Took off and it finally spooled in the pit, but couldn't get wheels speed up. Pretty sure I burned direct again. Truck felt like throttle was stuck or something in the pit so I killed it with my normal fuel shut off cable. Got pulled out and towed to the pits. Tried to restart the truck and holy crap, had a run away engine.

Video of run:
https://www.facebook.com/CoaltrainPo...6933507228884/

Managed to get it shut down with the shutoff valve that Arch (Bodacious) gave me at Indy. But guess it put on quite a flame show while I was getting it shut down out of the stack.

Needless to say, the truck is parked. Started washing it here at the house and will get it into the shop this week and start tearing it down to figure out what caused the run away condition.

I checked my data logger record and looked at the good data on the existing sensors I have, it reported I hit 6900 rpm's in the pit, and 55psi of boost.

As it stands right now, think my season is over, 3 races and 3 major breaks. My new engine is still at the machine shop, not sure when it's going to be done. Pistons and rods are still being made. Still have to get some expensive parts for the new engine to get it completed: Cam, cam bearings, new tappets, T6 exhaust housing, and a bunch of other parts. Tired of rushing to make a race and it breaking. Not hauling it anywhere till I have confidence in it again of making a run successfully.

Need to get new engine built. Figure out transmission issues. Figure out reason for run away. Win the lottery...

New intercooler:

Burnt direct clutches

PDD supplied me with a bunch of their trans fluid and oil for the truck.

Shutoff valve before I put it on the truck...

Last edited by NakeDiesel; 07-18-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #1333
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
That shut off valve is bad ass. I really like that design. So basically it's spring loaded shut, and you switch the blue part by hand, then lead the arm back that the cable is attached to?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #1334
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yes, you twist the blue knob and latch it open with the lever. Your cable pulls the lever and the spring snaps the valve shut.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #1335
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Your truck sounded just like bodacious when she ran away. You had a cylinder down in the vid. I bet you have a barrel and plunger hung.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #1336
Smokinrebel

Name: Smokinrebel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Seen in this moment twice live. Good show, rather theatrical.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 AM   #1337
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
That shut off valve is bad ass. I really like that design. So basically it's spring loaded shut, and you switch the blue part by hand, then lead the arm back that the cable is attached to?
You wont find a better version specifically, but not just, for diesel motorsports.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #1338
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, I actually got the truck into the shop sunday, but haven't touched it yet. Been busy playing catch-up with a bunch of things around the house and farm I'd been neglecting or putting off while trying to get the truck ready for a race.

The shop is pretty clean now, still need to clean off and reorganize a couple of areas still but it looks so much better and all the tools are put up again.

In the last 2 weeks, I've picked over 20 gallons of tomatos from the garden and gotten them frozen. Freezers are filling up fast with them and other food stuff from the garden. Need to start making sauces and salsas soon out of them or I won't have room for anything else. Also made 27 pints of bread and butter pickles, 36 pints of spicy pickles and 9 pints of kosher dill pickles so far. Did 36 pints tonight. Finished up my wifes new flowerbed with mulch and some more perennials. Picked up some cactus's for a truck planter I bought my wife that we couldn't get flowers to grow in cause it wouldn't hold enough moisture, cactus's are doing good.

Built 2 digital picture frames for my wife and installed a Nas with 7.2 TB of storage that I can expand up to 20 TB with Raid 5. Wanted to get her a couple of large digital picture frames, but the size I was looking at were almost 500.00 each. I built these for a little over 200 each using 24" dell infinity edge monitors and raspberry pi 3's single board computers. Unlike most digital picture frames, these are connected to my network with the built in wifi and I mapped a directory on the nas to each pi. My wife can now just copy pictures out to the designated folder on the Nas that corresponds to the digital picture frame and the pi code will pick up new pictures every hour. Today I added the crontab settings to turn the monitors off at 11pm and turn them back on at 6am.

After getting tools put away tonight, I finally got around to fixing a set of outlets on my workbench that had a cell charger melt down in them. Had to replace the hot wire to and from that outlet box, but it's all working great now.

Mater's

some pickles

cactus truck

just a little charred

shop cleaned up

digital picture frames, one horizontal, one vertical

Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #1339
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Sorry to see and hear you had more problems with the truck. That air shut off is sweet. Who makes them? It definitely sounded like you had a stuck plunger at the end of the vid. Maybe some NO2 would help get the charger lit? But I'm guessing that isn't allowed in the class.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #1340
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I know Arch (Bodacious) designed it and is working with a company to produce them. Get in contact with him. It worked great shutting the engine down when it tried to run away. I mounted it directly to my joker fab intake. It's 3 1/2" in and out.

Nope, no NO2. Think I will move up a class and going to talk to the different orgs about going to twin turbo's

Closed Thread