Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
motormayhem

Name: motormayhem
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Torque Converter Barely Locking

Hi All,
My transmission was working fine until last night when it appears the torque converter lockup abruptly started not working. Overall the transmission is acting/shifting normally otherwise. When I pulled onto the highway last night I noticed when I hit 50 the TC did not lock like it usually did. At first I thought it was not locking or trying at all, but looking at it more closely it appears it may be dropping RPM~100rpm at the speed the TC usually locks vs the normal 500-600rpm. With that I think the solenoid is firing, but its slipping or barely engaging.

My plan is to drop the pan this weekend and ohm the solenoid and inspect the pan area. Is there a way I can pressure check the TC apply circuit or a pressure test port to see what the apply pressure is going to the torque converter clutch? Any other ideas on what to check? It seems surprising it would be working fine and then all of a sudden stop working if its a hydraulic problem. I'd like to determine if its a TC or transmission problem when the pan is off.
1997 Laramie SLT 2500 4x4 Longbed: New Trans@177K: (Billet TC, Transgo tow/HD shift kit), boost, pyro, trans temp, #6 cam plate, Airaid Intake/Filter, 4" straight pipe, 235K
1984 M1009 CUCV: 6.2L Detroit Diesel, TH400 with Allison TC, 1 Ton Axles, 71k

Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
motormayhem

Member`s Gallery
One more question. Could a broken boost valve explain this? I'll check it when the pan is off. I noticed a few years ago when I had the VB out the retainer for the boost valve was broken on one side and about to let go. I replaced it with the one below to hopefully avoid this issue in the future so I'd be surprised if the new one is broken. Do these updated retainers have problems too?

A518 46RE A618 47RE Transmission TCC Boost valve clip | eBay
1997 Laramie SLT 2500 4x4 Longbed: New Trans@177K: (Billet TC, Transgo tow/HD shift kit), boost, pyro, trans temp, #6 cam plate, Airaid Intake/Filter, 4" straight pipe, 235K

Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
First thing is verify the easy stuff, make sure you're getting 12v accross the solenoid when it wants to lock. Does this transmission have a triple disc converter in it?

Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
motormayhem

Member`s Gallery
Yup I’ll check that. It has a single disk billet the PO put in ~150k ago

Closed Thread