Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Fahlin Racing

Name: Fahlin Racing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
RPM, spray angle, bowl design

Just curious on how many have experimented or bench raced with the injection angle of our fuel and bowl configuration best suited for high rpm operation? Just something I have been day dreaming about lately.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I like this thread. Could turn into the most informative thread on here but i doubt anyone will chime in that has tested this on the dyno....people are very secretive. IMO.... If your wanting power in a pulling motor for example, with acceleration not being an issue then you want a wide shallow bowl with a wide pattern. try for low timing and higher boost for more efficiency. Example; injector pattern around 155-160* cone angle with as wide a bowl and shallow flat bottom. This has worked well with tractors. When you bring rpm into the situation with timing and wide patterns you obviously cant run the same timing. List more of what your setup is and what your doing with it. drag racing or sled pulling and maybe someone will chime in with a decent setup and a few ideas.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
From my research through SAE articles and no dyno or competition proven data your looking for the wide shallow bowl. The wider the bowl the more timing you can give it at the same crankshaft angular position.

A wide shallow bowl is a lower swirl bowl and that swirl can cost HP when you do not need the aggressive mixing especially high pressure common rail.

Same could be said with high intake pressure and temperature, simply less mixing is required.

I can say in my own testing a single injection event came out on top for the most power production on top. Seems like a bit of combustion lag can be advantageous when it comes to cramming fuel.

Last edited by Joesixpack; 06-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
cummin get it

Name: cummin get it
Title: coal train
Member`s Gallery
Watching

01 3.0 pull. Home of scrap iron.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Fahlin Racing

Member`s Gallery
I have no real application at the present moment Lenahan05, I am more or less continuing my combustion research until I can get a few guinea pig engines to modify crowns etc and hopefully run them on an engine dyno/vehicle to see the effect of what I am and many are interested in. Power and also acceleration rates, if the latter even will change noticeably.

Do you still happen to have those SAE paper titles Joe?

I should open up Charles Fayette Taylor's I.C.E. In theory & Practice and see if they had published any thing like this in there. Ricardo had to of researched this in his day since he specialized in combustion.

If a wide shallow bowl is more desirable, would you be speaking of something on the lines of the 4-53 Detroit piston dish?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

or would we want to have a more pronounced center cone in the dish or even just a plain flat area across the crown dish?

Last edited by Fahlin Racing; 06-21-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added more, spelling

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Subscribing...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Impingement point is whats important. Get that straight, all else falls into place, and is easy to address.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Lots of work has been done in this area. If you want to get the good bowls, you'll need to call around and gain trust (read: spend on a performance engine) before any knowledge can be released.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
(read: spend on a performance engine) .

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
Schrowang

Name: Schrowang
Title: Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
Member`s Gallery
Subscribing

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Lots of work has been done in this area. If you want to get the good bowls, you'll need to call around and gain trust (read: spend on a performance engine) before any knowledge can be released.
So true^^^ watching this one. I am planning to build a Dyno mule here soon to find some of this out. Should be interesting to test cams to

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Get rid of the flycuts.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
Chris Mallett

Name: Chris Mallett
Title: 12ver Swap Idiot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Get rid of the flycuts.
I read this "because good swirl creates equal combustion and higher lift cams are not a cure to a poor flowing head". Am I close?

R.I.P. Dex, Godspeed.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
No, 230/240* 0.360/0.360" cam could still be used.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
cummin get it

Name: cummin get it
Title: coal train
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
No, 230/240* 0.360/0.360" cam could still be used.
But nine times out of ten it will need fly cuts correct?

01 3.0 pull. Home of scrap iron.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
XLR8R

Name: XLR8R
Title: Crew Chief
Member`s Gallery
No, we're getting ~.500" net with our Super Stock lobes - installed height of OEM valves is more of a brick wall than P-V interference... pocket & seat machining and different valves can return flycuts as the limiting factor.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #17
Fahlin Racing

Member`s Gallery
You can improve breathing of a poor head by using more cam duration as well. You also have to look at different valve designs/mods that allow better discharge coefficients, 1 valve design isn't optimum for all applications. Air entering our cylinder is important as well so we get the right mixing propagation and pressure rise for our peak power.

Now fixed injection timing and multi-point injection chamber I think are going to differ between chamber layouts. All I can say is there are no secrets, just people who don't share, may actualy be holding themselves back from advancing forward as fast as they would like.

Here is some from Charles F. Taylor's ICE Vol. 2
Quote:
In the open-chambet type, the mixing of fuel and air depends entirely on spray characteristics and on air motion, and it is not vitally affected by the combustion process itself. In this type, once the compression ratio, maximum operating speed, and operating temperatures are selected, the delay angle is determined chiefly by fuel characteristics. Engines of this type are very sensative to to spray characteristics, which must be carefully worked out to secure rapid mixing.
This book was revised on 1985, taylor passed in 1996 I believe at 102 years of age. Granted we have advanced since then, I still think this is still relevant today.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Also check what Haywood has to say:

Amazon.com: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (9780070286375): John Heywood: Books Amazon.com: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (9780070286375): John Heywood: Books

I need to just spend the money and get a copy of his book.

I have been curious to see some testing on dynamic cylinder pressure.

Tobin

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Also check what Haywood has to say:

Amazon.com: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (9780070286375): John Heywood: [email]Books

I need to just spend the money and get a copy of his book.

I have been curious to see some testing on dynamic cylinder pressure.

Tobin
The engine builders that I trust already have the actual cylinder pressures of these race engines. Some of this data is incredible, yet it lets you understand why some designs work.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Fahlin Racing

Member`s Gallery
I was looking at haywood's book a while back, however I am not able to purchase his writing as of yet. On another forum, I had been involved in an engine thread that involved needing to know cylinder pressure and temperatures involving failures due to engine timing, I had collected part numbers from ISSPRO to assemble a testing tool, which I haven't been able to buy yet either.

Since there is less time at high rpms, would creating a slight lip going inward to the center of our bowl creating slight more turbulence hoping to influence a state where our atomized fuel turns into a equally spread mixture easier, albeit, squish action could be more benficial and just have the bowl wall meeting the piston crown top edge, with a radii be sufficient?

Our crown temps get fairly high, I sometimes think a lip would counteract combustion efficiency through acting as a heat-sink and overload the crown thermally. Hmmm ......

Closed Thread