Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP461 View Post
The story the dyno tells is what drives my decisions for those calculations.
And none of the "others" have dynoed camshafts back to back, ever.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #42
WEBERBUILT

Name: WEBERBUILT
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post

I despise R&D that is done unknowingly on a customers dime. I have been that customer too many times.
How is forum research costing the customer anything? I would love an answer to this im helping this person to have a truck he can compete an drive so quit boxing me up with every other *sshole out there that would love to just take anyones money.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #43
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I think he understands but i dont think you do. Your trying to build a competiton pulling engine and you dont know what stock compression is for the engine your building???? Do you really think you should be building anything in the first place? Your going to take someones money and dont know where to start.
Obviously i do know where to start or i wouldnt even have an engine and im obviously not building the engine or doing any of the guess work or machining by myself, theres a reason i took it to a reputable machine shop i will give any advice thats put out there but the its not any of your customers so unless you want to help me out a little and give some usable comments to inform me a little better you dont have to comment, im asking questions is that a bad thing... at least im not like alot of people that try to act like they know everything there is to know be respectable and keep your trash talking useless comments to yourself. Next, the customer is as fully involved in this build as me as you can see he commented so you knows every aspect to this situation so i will tell you again i dont care what you think about ANYTHING except how to make this engine run the best it can.

O and i havent taken any money and its already started just fine so you can go to h*ll bud just because i have 20 some posts doesnt mean im anymore willing to listen to your debauchery once again i have been nothing but respectful and truthful posting and this is the crap that shows up for comments. Maybe you dont understand i find it stupid as h8ll and piss8ng me off that spent more time defending myself than talking about this engine....Rant off

Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #44
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When I design a cam profile I look at the application and then lay out where I want the events to happen. Next I determine how I want to achieve the maximum area under the curve.

None of that involves the terms “overlap, Lobe separation angle, Intake centerline or even duration”. Those numbers are calculated after the fact to put on the cam card.

greg this thread is for a ppump application. your theory of high CR and wide LSA does not apply here in a set timing application. if it was a CR motor then you may be fairly close where you have variable timing adjustment. i just wish you would stop with the high CR stuff on the ppump applications. it simply doesnt apply. PERIOD. i find it very hard to believe. unless you wana show a dyno sheet to prove your theory on a ppump motor that made over, oh say.... 1100hp 2.6. ill be patiently waiting

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
CSnyder

Name: CSnyder
Title: Snyder-Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
Megatron, Bullydog 6.4 truck, Dan Clarke, etc. There are many making damn good numbers with MaxSpool cams. Myself I have a MaxSpool cam in every one of my built trucks and those are all making north of 800+ HP at the wheels including one of them being a p-pumped 24V. I know Dan Clarke does back to back cam dynos also and he switched over to MaxSpool after his own discoveries.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #46
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSnyder View Post
Megatron, Bullydog 6.4 truck, Dan Clarke, etc. There are many making damn good numbers with MaxSpool cams. Myself I have a MaxSpool cam in every one of my built trucks and those are all making north of 800+ HP at the wheels including one of them being a p-pumped 24V. I know Dan Clarke does back to back cam dynos also and he switched over to MaxSpool after his own discoveries.
Thanks for the info i'd like to hear a little more about your ppumped 24 valve if you would we are at the point where we can pretty much pick anyway we want to go on most anything.
Also besides the cam we have to round up tappets and pushrods, need some opinions billet? is it worth the money? i'd rather be recommended to spend the money now rather than down the road when it breaks also is there anyone that makes billet tappets and again would it be worth it?

Also we've tossed around the idea of a girdle, any thoughts on that with these goals is it a must?
we will be getting rocker studs, arp rod bolts/ main bolts.

Last edited by WEBERBUILT; 10-31-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #47
CSnyder

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When I design a cam profile I look at the application and then lay out where I want the events to happen. Next I determine how I want to achieve the maximum area under the curve.

None of that involves the terms “overlap, Lobe separation angle, Intake centerline or even duration”. Those numbers are calculated after the fact to put on the cam card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBERBUILT View Post
Thanks for the info i'd like to hear a little more about your ppumped 24 valve if you would we are at the point where we can pretty much pick anyway we want to go on most anything.
Also besides the cam we have to round up tappets and pushrods, need some opinions billet? is it worth the money? i'd rather be recommended to spend the money now rather than down the road when it breaks also is there anyone that makes billet tappets and again would it be worth it?
IMHO the billet pushrods are cheap insurance. Tappets Id get ahold of Snedge on here for those. MaxSpool can get you cams, springs, and pushrods and probably make you a sweet package deal.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Likely no matter what cam you choose your customer is going to get schooled by a truck running a Precision or HX60 charger therefore the question is moot.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #49
longhorn859

Name: longhorn859
Title: Brap.
Member`s Gallery
Valid point...

Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #50
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Same can be said about cams.

We went from a more polish then port, to a mid range ported head, and lost over 20psi of boost, for the same power. That was enough to make us believers and are going to a full done head this year.

Possibly, my opinion on money spent should be in the following order

Pump(Pump/turbo/injectors kind of go hand in hand)
Turbo
Injectors
Cam
Head work.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #51
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSnyder View Post
email me the dyno sheets with "back to back" swaps. did you ever think that maybe you could make more with a better cam? just stating facts not being a know it all. and 800hp 2.6? Thats 300-400hp shy of the " winning" trucks around here. Any big event wins with these maxspool swaps? the question isnt horsepower....its could you make more with a different cam

Last edited by lenahan05; 10-31-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #52
dvst8r

Name: dvst8r
Title: Unobtainium
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
Likely no matter what cam you choose your customer is going to get schooled by a truck running a Precision or HX60 charger therefore the question is moot.
This.

At the end of the day it all engines still seem to be slave to the charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
If i had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if i had some eggs.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #53
CSnyder

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan05 View Post
email me the dyno sheets with "back to back" swaps. did you ever think that maybe you could make more with a better cam? just stating facts not being a know it all. and 800hp 2.6? Thats 300-400hp shy of the " winning" trucks around here. Any big event wins with these maxspool swaps? the question isnt horsepower....its could you make more with a different cam
Did I say Im the one doing back to back dyno testing? NO. I stated the guys name ask him for the info. Also I never said MY 800 HP trucks are 2.6 pullers either. They are just my DD trucks that Ill do whatever the f I want to do with them. Im VERY pleased with Maxspool and what the products do for me.... Ive been playing with diesels for many years and have tried other cams and ended up happiest with what I have now.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #54
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBERBUILT View Post
Obviously i do know where to start or i wouldnt even have an engine and im obviously not building the engine or doing any of the guess work or machining by myself, theres a reason i took it to a reputable machine shop i will give any advice thats put out there but the its not any of your customers so unless you want to help me out a little and give some usable comments to inform me a little better you dont have to comment, im asking questions is that a bad thing... at least im not like alot of people that try to act like they know everything there is to know be respectable and keep your trash talking useless comments to yourself. Next, the customer is as fully involved in this build as me as you can see he commented so you knows every aspect to this situation so i will tell you again i dont care what you think about ANYTHING except how to make this engine run the best it can.

O and i havent taken any money and its already started just fine so you can go to h*ll bud just because i have 20 some posts doesnt mean im anymore willing to listen to your debauchery once again i have been nothing but respectful and truthful posting and this is the crap that shows up for comments. Maybe you dont understand i find it stupid as h8ll and piss8ng me off that spent more time defending myself than talking about this engine....Rant off
Tell me to go to hell again and you can take your self right off this forum! I dont care what makes you mad or pisses you off run your mouth to me and there wont be any forum here for you to ask a question on. Loose the **** head attitude also. You want to be a asshole right out of the gate then your going to to get this kinda responce from guys that see through your BS!

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #55
7.5stroker

Name: 7.5stroker
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VRoush View Post
7.5 stroker . You being the key to the operation. Ok, you win makes us all feel better. These guys especially the ones in this thread know a thing or two. This is comp d. I see your new, welcome. But on that note listen, you'll learn something.

This ain't cummins forum.

-Clinton
im just saying, things got way off topic. id love to learn something new since im new to the cummins engine. all i have ever done was work and specialize in the 7.3.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #56
7.5stroker

Name: 7.5stroker
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This.

are you getting at that no matter what you wanna do with the engine, that it all boils down to having a good charger setup with adequite fuel ratio? wont a cam help get more air to the engine allowing the charger to suck more air in and allow more fuel to be burnt leading to the ultimatum of more power? im confused, help me out a bit on what your trying to get at.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #57
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This.

This i will agree on %100

Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #58
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
We arent looking to neccessarily school people just to compete but be able to drive the truck still it WILL become a dedicated puller just not now.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #59
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Tell me to go to hell again and you can take your self right off this forum! I dont care what makes you mad or pisses you off run your mouth to me and there wont be any forum here for you to ask a question on. Loose the **** head attitude also. You want to be a asshole right out of the gate then your going to to get this kinda responce from guys that see through your BS!
Do you run the forum? i wasnt being an asshole AT ALL until you start this rant about spending someone elses money so maybe you should be a little more kind when speaking i dont see what BS your seeing through because there is none... i dont like to be a part of the bickering i just wanted a little help so take it for what its worth but you seem to be a little quick to jump the gun and criticize i seem to have read a thread recently where you were made an ass of for the majority of it and you didnt like it did you? dont be so quick to be an asshole because really i wasnt just would rather not have your .02 than listen to the crap

Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #60
WEBERBUILT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5stroker View Post
are you getting at that no matter what you wanna do with the engine, that it all boils down to having a good charger setup with adequite fuel ratio? wont a cam help get more air to the engine allowing the charger to suck more air in and allow more fuel to be burnt leading to the ultimatum of more power? im confused, help me out a bit on what your trying to get at.
its actually a pretty clear statement there is a horsepower range based on your charger and in most cases you wont exceed x horsepower based on your charger setup and i our organization i dont think anyone runs an hx-60 or for that matter maybe 1 or 2 precision chargers dont quote me on that.

Closed Thread