Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Pit Area- OFF TOPIC FORUMS > The Swap Meet > Wanted To Buy
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
RustyBolts

Name: RustyBolts
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
WTB Body for '73-'87 Chevy

Searching all over creation trying to find a decent, or even half decent cab and bed for a '73-'87 (preferably pre '80) Chevy/GMC truck. Anybody got ANYTHING out there for sale?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
89f150

Name: 89f150
Member`s Gallery
Were you located? Got whole truck sell u cheap perfect body bed and 454 th400

Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
SE Ohio Dually or Fleetside? How Cheap is Cheap? What Year?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
If you are in the process of restoring one this company is going to be your best friend.

LMCTruck.com

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
No offense, but LMC ain't much help when your Cab resembles a sieve, and your bedside has rotted off and is laying on the ground. I like LMC very much though. They're a good parts source! But, yeah, Rocker panels, floor pans, trans hump, and roof perimeter all have large rust holes in them.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
So you got a decent frame then. Your correct LMC does not help when you need a whole truck. I have found trucks that would make good parts trucks quite a few times on CL out here. BTW I am sure you know but pre 79 has a different hood and grill assembly than 79 and up.

Quote:
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Just curious, but are you a member on any Chevy truck forums? 73-87ChevyTrucks.com ColoradoK5.com? Got pics of your rebuild/resto? I'm a sucker for old chevy trucks 73-87. I got a 79 K20 I'm gonna restore one of these days when I can deal with my sled pulling addiction.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
So you got a decent frame then. Your correct LMC does not help when you need a whole truck. I have found trucks that would make good parts trucks quite a few times on CL out here. BTW I am sure you know but pre 79 has a different hood and grill assembly than 79 and up.
Yessir, got a sound frame and drivetrain, and well know that 73-79 has it's own front clip, 81-87 is largely it's own and the '80's have a grille and front facia all it's own, and is kind of a bastardization of the two era's.
I'm not a huge fan of CL because it confuses me sometimes, and when it does i get pissed off and close the window.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Smoke? View Post
Just curious, but are you a member on any Chevy truck forums? 73-87ChevyTrucks.com ColoradoK5.com? Got pics of your rebuild/resto? I'm a sucker for old chevy trucks 73-87. I got a 79 K20 I'm gonna restore one of these days when I can deal with my sled pulling addiction.
Not yet a member of either, didn't even know they existed but thanks for letting me know they're out there
I'll have pics when I go home here in a couple weeks, right now i'm in Lima (OH) and home is down aling the river, in the exact opposite corner of the state.
I, too, am a sucker for classic Chevy/GMC's especially the 73-79's.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
When my truck was hit by hail & I had to replace every panel, I called "The Chop Shop". My parts were delivered to my local Home Depot [drop point]. I just drove down and picked them up, clean, straight rust free parts for cheap. Give Dave a call 678-859-4605. If he seems high, tell him what you are willing to pay, he will work with you. I was making offers on parts & he accepted.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Folks, FYI I need ALOT more than just panels.
I'll take pics of just how extensive the rot is. This truck is by far the worst case of GM cancer I've ever seen. The only reason I'm restoring it is because it's a family heirloom, and has a "special" Heavy, HEAVY Duty Drivetrain.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBolts View Post
Folks, FYI I need ALOT more than just panels.
I'll take pics of just how extensive the rot is. This truck is by far the worst case of GM cancer I've ever seen. The only reason I'm restoring it is because it's a family heirloom, and has a "special" Heavy, HEAVY Duty Drivetrain.
The chop shop isn't for panels, he gets full cabs, full beds, front clips, whatever.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Is he legit?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
smokin5.9

Name: smokin5.9
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
not the year you are after but I have an 84 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 with rockwell 4speed in it. I'd sell for cheap. body in true 84 shape, cab coners, rockers, floor. But will go down the road. Dont want to hyjack your thread, you or anyone else wants more info PM me.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5.9 View Post
not the year you are after but I have an 84 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 with rockwell 4speed in it. I'd sell for cheap. body in true 84 shape, cab coners, rockers, floor. But will go down the road. Dont want to hyjack your thread, you or anyone else wants more info PM me.
How bad is the floor?
What kind of shape is the roof in?
How much is "cheap"?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
I understand the family heirloom, I have one of my own. '79 Chevrolet Silverado C10 regular cab short box 2x4 all original with 179k if I remember correctly.

Click the image to open in full size.

As for the 73-79, there is a difference other than the grill, the hood on a 79 is about 1' longer in the center section and all years past that. FYI

Quote:

Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I understand the family heirloom, I have one of my own. '79 Chevrolet Silverado C10 regular cab short box 2x4 all original with 179k if I remember correctly.
As for the 73-79, there is a difference other than the grill, the hood on a 79 is about 1' longer in the center section and all years past that. FYI
Damn! that's a nice truck!
You say yours is a '79, and that it has a longer hood center?
The hood on my '75 looks the same as the one pictured.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the compliment. I bough her when I was 13 from my Grandma after Grandpa passed. Had her ever since. My uncle ordered her new in '79. I have turned down 15k for her once, and would do it again in a heartbeat, you can not put a price on a heirloom.

Yes it is, I have always been told the pre 79 have a shorter hood than the 79. I could be wrong and might be. I just looked on LMC and they only show one hood for 73-80 and one for 81-87. I might have the years wrong.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
RustyBolts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
. . . I have turned down 15k for her once, and would do it again in a heartbeat, you can not put a price on a heirloom.

Yes it is, I have always been told the pre 79 have a shorter hood than the 79. I could be wrong and might be. I just looked on LMC and they only show one hood for 73-80 and one for 81-87. I might have the years wrong.
Amen to that. Even in it's dilapidated state, I've been offered $5,000 for this truck, and turned it down, and like you say, will do it again.

I definitely know the 81-87's are different, and (like the catalog states) have always thought the 73-80 hoods and fenders were all the same. Classic Industries is the same way. Let me make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that I am NOT AT ALL trying to make you look bad, or call you out on the matter, but we've got 2 catalogs saying the same thing. Sorry, man if you feel like I've stepped on your toes, I wasn't trying to, and I'm not trying to make myself any enemies.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
No toe stepping man, I have always been told wrong, I never looked it up before now. Glad to be set straight finally.

Quote:

Closed Thread