Odd rooster comb damage

Downtownbrown

Customer brought me a transmission, didnt notice this until i was putting the valvebody back together. Looks like it was welded on but he claims to have owned this truck since new and that the transmission hasnt been touched.
e38a8e1454adacd1543a9fc8160d9dbb.jpg

2c665008713c633571c3a60b148ef987.jpg

Also says that the column never felt funny or stiff in anyway. Any ideas on the cause of this? Ive never seen anything like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Like said above, that could be the result of a welding ground that was placed poorly when welding something on the truck.

I think it'd be impossible to get a ground clamp on there. Unless they dropped the pan and vb and then claimed it, highly unlikely. I'm betting some kind of factory defect

Got ahold of him today and he said that years ago they welded on the receiver hitch, so im guessing that somehow or another that was the cause of it. The ball for it looked perfectly fine though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that they got in there and used that as a ground, that when they were welding on something the ground ended up finding that and using it.

Rooster comb has contacts on it, my guess the insulation is bad on either the reverse or neutral. Wonder if someone tried to put manual lockup switch on it.

Back