Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
95 Ram No Brake lights this morning

Guys, my brake lights quit working this morning. I'm trying to search all I can while at work. Pretty scared to drive it home so forgive me if this has been covered. Only have a few hours before I have to drive 50 miles home.

Blinkers work
Hazards work
Headlights work
3rd brake light works (HMSL)

I have checked all fuses in the dash and under the hood. Wires look good. I unplugged and reconnected all of the plugs. My multi meter is at the shop so can't really get too technical with it at this point.

Just wondering if this is a common occurrence and some of you can point me to the right direction. Thanks

Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Did you check the brake switch by the pedal?

Another thing you could do, see if the TC locks up during a drive. If it does, then hit the brakes and see if it unlocks. If it doesn't unlock with brake, then the truck isn't seeing a brake input.

You can pull the switch out and swap it with no tools.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Switch hasn't been touched with a meter, but the TC does unlock and the 3rd light works.

Not sure if there are separate circuits within the switch though.. Maybe it is worth just buying one at Oreilleys and checking to see if it fixes.

I ran across one thread that described the circuit going through the pedal switch, to the blinker switch and then to the tail lights. Wondered if a possible malfunction there could be the culprit.

I hate to just throw dollars at it and hope for the best, but that might be less of a risk than driving on the interstate with no lights..

Thank you for the help.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
If the 3rd light works, I'd check the rear harness plug at the rear on the drivers side. Been awhile but I think there may be a few ground wires that screw to the body under there also.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Does it have a trailer light harness wired in?
If so and is the type that just splices into the factory connection at the rear. Id remove it and plug the harness back in like factory.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Jason. I know the plug you are referring to. I can't recall if mine is spliced or not, but I will go check. It has the 7 blade in the towing receiver. Trailer brakes and lights were working fine last night towing my camper home.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Switch hasn't been touched with a meter, but the TC does unlock and the 3rd light works.

Not sure if there are separate circuits within the switch though.. Maybe it is worth just buying one at Oreilleys and checking to see if it fixes.

I ran across one thread that described the circuit going through the pedal switch, to the blinker switch and then to the tail lights. Wondered if a possible malfunction there could be the culprit.

I hate to just throw dollars at it and hope for the best, but that might be less of a risk than driving on the interstate with no lights..

Thank you for the help.
There are actually two circuits in the switch if I recall correctly. One for TC and one for Brakes, but I think it's very unlikely one would fail.

I'd chase down Jason's idea.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
bateman

Member`s Gallery
CorneluisRox and jasonc, thanks again for the help guys. I learned something new today and can finally put a check mark next to this problem.

After nearly pulling my hair out I took a step back and followed the circuit. From the brake pedal switch, it goes up the column and through the blinker / hazard switch.

Apparently your blinkers and hazards can work perfectly fine, but still cause a problem for brake lights. This was my issue. Depending on which way you wiggle the hazard button, the brake lights will work.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
No kidding. That's pretty crazy.
I remember on a 98 I had, there was a short in the overdrive button (on the shifter stalk) and it caused all sorts of headache and havoc. I finally found it on a road trip, and since I didn't have much for tools on me, I bought some thicker wire, pulled the wire out of the insulation, and pushed that insulation down the stalk. Worked great. Damn weird 2nd gen electrical issues.

Oh and the fun time my lights went out at 3am driving straight from Detroit to Denver in my 97 12V. Had to hot wire the lights in the dark. Did a full overhaul on it when I got back home.

Glad you got it sorted!

Closed Thread