Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #41
03BlackWidow

Name: 03BlackWidow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sorry to be off topic but how is columbus's turn around time on pumps?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #42
jstethem12

Name: jstethem12
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
unless its a full out pulling truck i dont understand the reason for the 13mm pumps, my 12mm 913 pump just came off the test stand i built it myself and it came off the stand at 726cc's i have twins and will never clear that smoke up so why go bigger just a question when we had it on the stand we ran it up to 4,900 rpm's and it was still pushing full fuel and we stopped its all youll ever need. and i have all of about $300 in it columbus diesel siad for a 550cc pump its $3,000 and thats you supplying the pump

Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #43
PRattenbury

Name: PRattenbury
Title: Neophyte
Member`s Gallery
Last I checked none of my buddies have a pump test stand, nor do I. Not only that, if I did have a test stand, and I started studying about p-pumps now (I did just buy the Bosch manual), I'd have to live to be about 120 years old to begin to touch the amount of knowledge CDS, II or Scheid, to name a few, have. So, I pay not so much for what they do, but what they know. Do I really NEED a 13mm pump? Nah. But I had the motor built so that if I chose to use what a 13mm pump can produce for power, I could. I don't know if at some point I won't get a wild hair in my arse and decide to take the motor and put it in a short bed 2wd truck with cage, narrowed rear, and so forth, and go strictly for drag racing. Heck, I even have the intake with the spray bars built right in. Knowing me, nothing is out of the question.

If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #44
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstethem12 View Post
unless its a full out pulling truck i dont understand the reason for the 13mm pumps, my 12mm 913 pump just came off the test stand i built it myself and it came off the stand at 726cc's i have twins and will never clear that smoke up so why go bigger just a question when we had it on the stand we ran it up to 4,900 rpm's and it was still pushing full fuel and we stopped its all youll ever need. and i have all of about $300 in it columbus diesel siad for a 550cc pump its $3,000 and thats you supplying the pump
Youve never drove a 13mm pump then.

Injection rate it alot faster so in turn the fuel has more time to burn. Chargers spool faster. make more power with the same cc of fuel.

CC of fuel is just a way to measure the output not how they work.

95 5 speed

Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #45
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
sure i have i have a 13mm pump sitting in my shop now that i bought put it on the truck columbus diesel built it and i had about 4,000 miles and 3 hooks on it and the barrels and plungers came apart, i built this pump and the truck runs better than ever as to the injection rate and all that thats a crock its the same style barrels and plungers just 1 mm bigger not worth it if your not burning teh fuel you dont need it, i have built 7 of these trucks from 550hp to 1,050 hp trust me been there done that.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #46
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
What kind of a grind was on the 13mm pump cam?

95 5 speed

Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #47
Jim Fulmer

Name: Jim Fulmer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Brady did express concern that my injectors (5x.016 at that time) might well be too small, as might the stock lines. He said with the amount of fuel available from that pump, if you choke it down too small with the lines and sticks, the pump can bind and cause damage. I took his advice and went to .093 lines and bigger sticks.
That's because he got to see how I smashed a camshaft in my old 13 mm pump years ago running too small of DV's, lines and injectors......it creates too much internal pressure, I also recommend big DV holders.

Jim

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #48
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
... as to the injection rate and all that thats a crock its the same style barrels and plungers just 1 mm bigger not worth it if your not burning teh fuel you dont need it,
Huh??

Sorry, the injection rates and pressures WILL be higher, and more efficient, regardless if it's "only 1mm bigger" Whether or not you can burn it, or need it might be up for debate, but injection quality will be better.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #49
PRattenbury

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fulmer View Post
That's because he got to see how I smashed a camshaft in my old 13 mm pump years ago running too small of DV's, lines and injectors......it creates too much internal pressure, I also recommend big DV holders.

Jim
Hopefully, II did that when they built the pump.....

If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #50
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Huh??

Sorry, the injection rates and pressures WILL be higher, and more efficient, regardless if it's "only 1mm bigger" Whether or not you can burn it, or need it might be up for debate, but injection quality will be better.

Chris
uh ok

Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #51
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
I'd love to have a 726cc 12mm pump. Unfortunately high 500's seem to be the most I can get from the premium pump shops.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #52
Jim Fulmer

Name: Jim Fulmer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
726cc from a 913 pump......hum, I'd be mine is no more than 450 and that makes 600hp with a Single and I doubt it would break 750 with injectors and Twins, so that means I should have a potential 1000-1100 hp to the rear wheels with a 12mm pump and no N2O.......yea right!

BOTW, Columbus says 550cc's out of a 215.....that I can believe!

Jim

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #53
PRattenbury

Member`s Gallery
Kind of a great thing to know how to tune these things. By the time I'm through with mine, hopefully I'll have some clue. I bought a Bosch book for these pumps in hopes I'll be able to get my brain wrapped around what does what. I have some rudimentary idea about what the plungers, barrels, rack and governor are doing, so I have some studying to do on the aneroid section. I may just find a junk pump and rip it apart so I can physically see what goes on in there. Not like I want to become a pump technician and buy a stand. But I want to become intimately familiar with the pump, fuel system and the turbos so I can be somewhat educated while trying to tune everything as well as I can.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #54
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
i will post the flow chart just gotta know how to build them, money talks

Old 08-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #55
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
you guys are hilarious, you bolt on parts and call yourselvs diesel pros, work on the stuff spend time in the shop i have spend hours on end in the pump shops running and testing pumps hell i can get 550cc's out of a 841 pump easily for under $200. If you guys start listening to everything that SOMEBODY is trying to sell you youll never have a clue, a 215 pump 12mm is capable of way over 550cc's do your research and then come and talk to me. When you spend hours testing and tuning then you can come and tell me what a pump will do and anyways nitrous is for pussies that cant make horsepower.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #56
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
Call dave at pensacola diesel thier number is 850-470-9408, ask him what Jeff Stethems 913 pump just did on their pump stand, i have only talked to him twice he does not personally know me jsut rebuilt my pump, he will tell you the numbers.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #57
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fulmer View Post
BOTW, Columbus says 550cc's out of a 215.....that I can believe!

Jim
CDS set mine at 550cc's, and said it could go to 650cc's...I have nothing else to compare to, but with the 64/S480 I still can't clean it up at WOT!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #58
jstethem12

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
CDS set mine at 550cc's, and said it could go to 650cc's...I have nothing else to compare to, but with the 64/S480 I still can't clean it up at WOT!

Chris
yeah scheids told me that 750cc's on a 12mm is maxed out, but like i said i am running 726cc's and i will post some videos of some of my pulls but its constant black smoke about 40ft in the air and thats with twins ported head and everything you cant burn that much fuel theres really a fine line on tuning wheres too much fuel you know what i mean.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #59
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
and.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullshit6gf.jpg (23.8 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #60
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
yeah scheids told me that 750cc's on a 12mm is maxed out, but like i said i am running 726cc's and i will post some videos of some of my pulls but its constant black smoke about 40ft in the air and thats with twins ported head and everything you cant burn that much fuel theres really a fine line on tuning wheres too much fuel you know what i mean.
Mine is flat MAXED at 650 on CDS's stand...they couldn't get anymore from it, so I guess I'll say that every stand is different!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Closed Thread